FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: Volnay, Fiano, Champagne, Chinon rose, etc (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/437050-tn-volnay-fiano-champagne.html)

DaleW 06-06-2016 07:27 PM

TN: Volnay, Fiano, Champagne, Chinon rose, etc

Tuesday assorted leftovers along with the 2015 Baudry Chinon rose. Maybe slightly fuller than usual, ripe red berries, a little watermelon, hint of herb. Good acids. B+

Wineless Wednesday, and then Thursday dinner at Grand Sichuan reported elsewhere

Friday bluefish and endive on grill, with the 2014 Bailly-Reverdy Sancerre. Some gooseberry, citrus, medium bodied, middle of the road but tasty. B

Saturday swordfish, scapes, and squash on the grill, with 2015 Abbatucci €śFaustine€ť rose. Rich and structured for rose, cherry and peach fruit, stony minerals. B+

Sunday we had some friends over. Started with Pork and ramp pate, radishes with salt and butter, and the NV Gerbais €śCuvee Prestige€ť Extra Brut BdB Champagne. I like Gerbais but this comes off quite austere. A bit more dosage would not be amiss for me., B-

I took advantage of a slowing in the thunderstorm to grill clams with fried garlic. Wine was the
2013 Donnachiara Fiano di Avellino.Full, structured, long, good acids, white fruits with a nutty edge. B+

Main was chicken in red wine and tarragon, with brown rice, squash blossoms with herbed ricotta, and salad.
I had used most of a bottle of plonky Bdx (2013 Haut Redon) to get a new vinegar batch going, used rest and a little bit of Gamay for the chicken. The Gamay was the 2014 Lapierre Raisins Gaulois. Light, crsip, bright and juicy. Fun little wine. B/B+

We also had the 2002 Bouchard €śCaillerets Ancienne Cuvee Carnot€ť Volnay 1er. On the nose this has some appeal- cherries and oak, but the oak seems to be evolving towards a kind of exotic sandalwood thing. But on the palate it is drying and hard, and with time to me the sandalwood fades leaving just an oaky fading Pinot. To be fair, others liked more. C+

Finished with fllourless cookies, rhubard compote, ice cream. We were happy not to loose power (some flickers during storms). Fun night with great people

Lawrence Leichtman[_2_] 06-06-2016 09:51 PM

TN: Volnay, Fiano, Champagne, Chinon rose, etc

The Baudry seems to be a lot heavier than usual in the 2015 to me as
well. Maybe a riper vintage.