Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Rieslings and red Burgundy at Grand Sichuan (+ Champagne, Chinon, Syrah)

Rich was in town and Salil arranged a nice small group to meet at Grand Sichuan St Marks. I took the train down, but Betsy joined us after a rehearsal, so I could indulge and know I had a ride home. Lots of food- Sichuan cold noodles, soup dumplings, cucumber with scallion sauce, tea smoked duck, accidental moo shou chicken qui zhou chicken,lamb with cumin, shredded beef with green peppers, pork with chestnuts, probably forgot something.

Lots of wines, too

1988 Burguet Gevrey-Chambertin
Lots of Gevrey earth, but I didnt care for this as much as some others did. Still some good fruit, but a little dried on finish. Still good though. B

1988 Drouhin Clos de Vougeot
Again, divided opinions, I was on the pro side this time. Fragrant, elegant, classy, defined by bright acids. A-/B+

2011 Produttori del Barbaresco €śAsili€ť Barbaresco
This had been opened a few days, but still showed well, but I didnt write down anything. Still, going strong with 3 days open gives you idea it can age.

2001 Hudelot-Noellat €śMurgers€ť Nuits St George
More elegant than one thinks of NSG, pretty black cherry fruit framed by smoke and cocoa. Midbodied, nice length. B+

2000 Chevillon €śVaucrains€ť Nuits St George
Quite meaty and earthy, theres a bretty note but well within my tolerance level,masculine, more vigor than I expected from a 2000. B+/A-

2008 Rhys Syrah
Not sure of vineyard on this one. Good match with the duck, dark fruit and espresso, tangy finish. A little stolid, but that might just be following a few burgundies. B/B+

2005 Joguet €śClos du Chene Vert€ť Chinon
In a good place, blackberry and herbs, smoke, flowers, Good acids, just enough tannin to prop up the fruit, good length. B+/A-

2002 Pol Roger Extra Cuvee de Reserve
New bottling to me. Fuller, richer style, lots of bread. B+/A-

2010 Max. Grunhauser (von Schubert) €śHerrenberg€ť Kabinett
Bright, linear, defined, pretty much what one wants in young Kab. B++

2001 Selbach-Oster €śBernkasteler Badstube€ť Kabinett
Mature but not tired, lime and apple, tangy. B/B+

1990 JJ Prum €śWehlener Sonnenuhr€ť Auslese
Some condition concerns over this one, but I thought it showed just fine, in a plump "90 kind of way. Ripe pit fruits, flint, a little petrol. B+

1994 Joh. Jos. Christoffel Erben Urziger Wurzgarten Auslese ****
Others liked this more than I did, Ive never seen more than 3 star Auslese, but apparently at Christoffel the 4 stars doesnt indicate extra richness but more of a batch/fuder designation. Quite lively, with herbs and spice notes, but to me it just didnt seem to come together. Sure, Id drink this any day, but less exciting to me than to others at table. B

1998 JJ Prum €śWehlener Sonnenuhr€ť Goldkapsel Auslese (375)
Rich, honied, tropical fruit, very good but not quite what Id hope for in a GKA. B+

2005 Selbach-Oster €śRotlay€ť Auslese
I liked more than others. Rich, exotic, full, this will age but damn pretty tasty now. B+/A-

Fun night with fun people, a bonus for me that Betsy joined us