Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Way too many wines at Peking Dock House (NYC)

Last night I attended a Berserkerfest event at Peking Duck House. Brad was kind enough to invite me to join his table, with a nice mix of friends old and new. We had a appetizer assortment (rib, spring roll, satay, dumpling, chicken/lettuce cup, etc) and then 3 ducks for our table. A few other dishes (beef with mushroom, Chinese broccoli, green beans, etc) and a load of wines

Whites

1991 Lauer Riesling Sekt
I liked more than table. Medium bodied, citrus and a little dough, when revisited towards end of night there was a hint of petrol to remind you its Riesling. B+/B

2014 Sandlands Chenin Blanc.
I think everyone was surprised at the oak, though I didnt find it as offensive as some. It was ripe, kind of lemon meringue pieish. B-

2014 Nicolas Faure €śLa Corvee de Bully€ť Bourgogne Aligote
New producer to me (I think JBTruax said the producer was 26, and had worked for Chave and DRC). Really excellent Aligote, with steely mineral acids framing a fuller fruit profile than most Aligote. B++

2007 Huet Le Haut Lieu Franc de Pied Vouvray
Maybe this was a bit tight, but I liked (Brad said hes had better showings, but Ive never seen this bottling). Sec-tendre, tart green fruit with some smoke and gunflint, fun to try. B+/B

2014 Rhys Horseshoe Chardonnay
Young, some oak showing but a fine citrus/mineral base, I liked more than some others. Need time. B+?

2002 Egon Muller Scharzhofberger Kabinett
Id call this Spatlese sweetness, but with crisp acids, Saar green apple and lime with some impressive floral/anise notes. A-/B+

1996 Trimbach €śCuvee Frederic Emile€ť Riesling (mag)
"96 CFE in 750 has a high premox rate, but this mag was fine. Citrus, ginger, wet stones. I enjoyed a lot, but a slight lactic/cheesy note kept it from greatness. B+

Another table brought over the 1995 Trimbach €śCuvee Frederic Emile€ť Riesling (mag). Fun to taste side by side, very minerally, lean in a way, but the fruit is clean and it has fine length. B+

Reds

2014 Clos Roche Blanche Gamay
Im a big CRB fan, but theres a note to Gamay that always gets to me. Bright raspberries, herb, but also that €śgeranium€ť note I find so distracting. Everyone else loves. B-

2001 Clos des Papes Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Somehow I didnt take any notes on this, though it was one of my favorite CdPs.

1995 Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Ive had this and not been impressed before, but this showed pretty well. Blacker fruit, herb, some light barnyard. B+

1998 Vieux Donjon Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Herby/garriguey, some light brett but not bothersome to me, red raspberry fruit, good length. B+

1998 Vieux Telegraphe Chateauneuf- du-Pape
Somewhat volatile, some brett, tangy, some others liked more than I did. B-/C+

2003 Karl Lawrence Cabernet Sauvignon
I generally like KL but this mag struck me as a little kirschy - others liked much more, quite popular. B/B-

1971 Sterling Cabernet Sauvignon (mag)
I double-decanted before catching my train -smelled and tasted great then, but was a little worried at first pour. Seemed thinner and a touch metallic.. But that seems to pass. Nice oldstyle Napa, good acids, herby notes, moderate fruit. A-/B+

1999 Jaboulet €śLa Chapelle€ť Hermitage
OK, not totally sure, thought I remembered this as 98 but scribbling looks more like "99. Light tannins, some leather and meat, moderate black fruits. B/B-

Offerings from other tables
2014 Nicolas Faure €śLes Herbues€ť Nuits Saint Georges
Nice, bright, fresh. B

1983 Vogue Musigny
Generous offer from another table, medium acids, sandalwood, nice flavors but I thought a little short. Others loved. B/B-

1996 Produttori del Barbaresco Rabaja Riserva
Young, vibrant, some tannin, very good. B+/A-

1999 George Mugneret Clos Vougeot
Pretty, full, cocoa and black cherry, A-

One really gloppy CalCab I managed to block out

Dessert wines

1999 Donnhoff Niederhauser Hermannshole Auslese
Great tropical flavors but too soft for me. B/B-

1988 Climens
Full, rich, honied with apricot and beeswax. A-/B+

1989 Foreau Vouvray Reserve
Wool, spice, orange marmalade/zest, great acids,. delicious and long. A-

1996 Baumard Quarts de Chaume
Wax, apples, spice, but more advanced than I expected. B

Im sure I forgot something!
Fun night, fun people

Posted to alt.food.wine

Another wine at our table was the 1970 Bodegas Palacio Rioja Glorioso Gran Reserva. I didn't even try this, others declared dead, I sniffed from a neighbors glass and concurred. Off bottle.