Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 1998s from all over, plus Loire, German, OR, Provence, etc

Tuesday was tandoori chicken (we dont have a tandoor, so grilled), squash, salad & the
2015 Riotor rose (Cotes de Provence). Lighter styled, sweet strawberry fruit but dry finish, pleasant. B

Wednesday was St Emilion dinner reported elsewhere, and Thursday I had a board meeting so no wine. Friday was grilled bluefish, asparagus, rice, and the 2014 Thomas-Labaille Cuvee Buster Sancerre. When I first tasted I thought a bit too ripe compared to regular T-L's regular LMD which I loved, but but as I enjoy first glass the acids come on strong and I like this even more.Long, full, and fresh, with citrus fruit framed by mineral. Gets better through night, stands up well to food, great finish. A-

Saturday Betsy announced she was making beef bourguignon and I said for the 2 of us? We quickly roped in a couple of couples. Greeting wine was the NV Louis Chalvon Grand Reserve Champagne.. Sweet Fuji apple, bordering on cidery, thin and rather empty. Others liked more. C+/B-

One guest had brought the appetizers, home smoked salmon as well as canapes of hummus and smoked oysters. He had also brought the 2015 Wolffer Estate Rose. Easy strawberry flavors, touch of sweetness, clean and innocuous, needs to zip. B-

With the beef bourguignon we also had the Plenty carrot salad and barley with a spinach pesto.
Cooking wine for the beef was the 2013 Iche Les Heretiques VdP. Ripe, black raspberry, herb. Fine value. B

1998 Grivot Beaux Monts Vosne-Romanee 1er
Didnt like this at all when opened - tight, tannin, hard. With some time fruit came out, rather masculine black fruit, still some wood tannin, a little ashtray. Others apparently liked, but I thought it tasted like a slightly OTH California Petite Sirah. C+

2002 Lafarge Bourgogne
Nice showing for the level. Good acids, ripe black cherry fruit, some exotic spice. Ready to go. B+

2006 Pavelot :la Dominide Savigny-les-Beaune 1er
I got this from cellar after tasting Grivot. Tight at first, did a splash decant. Smoky nose, black cherry and coffee, ripe with a long finish. Touch of tannin, could use a few years, but I enjoyed. B+

Sunday we went to a combination 18th birthday/graduation party for son of a friend. Gloomy day had suddenly brightened, and nice crowd enjoyed the weather, as well as hot dogs, burgers, pastas, chicken skewers, salads, etc.

1998 Ch de Fieuzal (Pessac-Leognan)
2 bottles, both showed well. Black currants, light mocha notes, good balance of acid, fruit, and tannin. Moderate length. One bottle got quite funky with air (in a nice way) B/B+

1998 Casisano Colombaio Brunello di Montalcino
Several peoples fave. Very dark color, tannic, cassis, tasted more like CS than Sangiovese to me. I think just overextracted for my tastes. B-/C+

1998 Marques del Puerto Rioja Gran Reserva
Birthday boys fave. Easygoing cherry fruit, some dill and coconut, fully mature. B-

1998 Coudoulet de Beaucastel Cotes du Rhone
Some thought over the hill, to me a nice example of fully mature southern Rhone. Raspberry, black cherry, lots of herb and underbrush. Fading just a bit on finish. B

Rascal Pinot Noir
Oregon, didnt see a vintage. Sweet cherries,touch of vanilla, light, easy. B-

2013 Haut Redon (Bordeaux)
Oaky, thin, hard edges. C+/C

2014 Dr. Hans Von Muller (Mueller) Riesling QbA
Somewhat sweet, but strong acids to counter, nice limeafe styled quaffer. B-

2012 Dr. Jul. Ferd. Kimich Paradiesgarten Riesling Halbtrocken
Herby, gingery, bright, fun. B/B-

There was also a pleasant Jadot white, I think one of the designated Macon Villages, and an ok Moet & Chandon NV Champagne but I didn't note anything about either

No wine Monday with pasta with ramp pesto and Plenty-styled poached vegetables.