Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 2001 La Rioja Alta "Viña Ardanza" Reserva Especial Rioja

2001 La Rioja Alta "Viña Ardanza" Reserva Especial Rioja *****+

OMG. that says it all.

ok, ok , Ill say a bit more. So Im on a business trip to Mallorca. And After the official business, Im trecking with these Italians, and we start talking about wine. They are absolutely appauled by the fact I speak so highly of rioja wine. They know the cheap crap rioja in their country that it is impossible that I know anything about wine and can like rioja. then we switch topic to itlaian wine where I mention I like pian delle vigne brunello 2000.

that makes them pause. and go; so, you taste all these wonderful wines, and still you say rioja is one of your favourites?? how is this even possible??? [with italian accent, which sort of enhances the exclamation]

So, one of the italian has found "the best place in palma to have paella". We agree to go there and I choose the wine.

Im sceptical about this port facing tripadvisor place, I cant find a wine list, but I see that have Jamon Iberico, which is on my todo list. and they have lamb cutlets which would go wonderfully with a rioja, if they have it! Meanwhile I look for winebars and find 2 potential places were to have good wines afterwards.

We agree. and meet in the evening for dinner. I go straight for the wine card and talk to the waitor (that speaks the most english, which isnt a lot, so Im going Italian mode. which works a bit better. Turns out they have ardanza res. esp. 2001 and immediately I go Thats the one! we take 2! Turns out its their last 2 bottles.

the waiter opens and pours in decanter (even though the spaniard in our midst doesnt know any spanish word for decanter) and lets me taste first. One whiff and Im in heaven!

i say "this is EXACTLY what I think real wine is and what I think rioja is , when I mention rioja and think of rioja! And I did not expect to find anything like this here.

the iberico ham comes in as well. the italian wine enthusiasnt tries it and goes " wow, what the **** , this is REALLY REALLY good. this night is turning out to be really something alreadY". i managed to convert a sceptic.
He kept talking about how amazing that wine was during the entire evening.

it had that transcended broken down fruit with wood and tobacco, that fills me with joy and gives me goosebumps, brick colour, lingering finish.
the label described that they made this version in only three vintages. 1964 (not certain of that vintage), 1973, and 2001, where the weather was in a certain way.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 9:00:59 PM UTC-4, Michael Nielsen wrote:
> 2001 La Rioja Alta "Viña Ardanza" Reserva Especial Rioja *****+
>
> OMG. that says it all.
>
> ok, ok , Ill say a bit more. So Im on a business trip to Mallorca. And After the official business, Im trecking with these Italians, and we start talking about wine. They are absolutely appauled by the fact I speak so highly of rioja wine. They know the cheap crap rioja in their country that it is impossible that I know anything about wine and can like rioja. then we switch topic to itlaian wine where I mention I like pian delle vigne brunello 2000.
>
> that makes them pause. and go; so, you taste all these wonderful wines, and still you say rioja is one of your favourites?? how is this even possible??? [with italian accent, which sort of enhances the exclamation]
>
> So, one of the italian has found "the best place in palma to have paella".. We agree to go there and I choose the wine.
>
> Im sceptical about this port facing tripadvisor place, I cant find a wine list, but I see that have Jamon Iberico, which is on my todo list. and they have lamb cutlets which would go wonderfully with a rioja, if they have it! Meanwhile I look for winebars and find 2 potential places were to have good wines afterwards.
>
> We agree. and meet in the evening for dinner. I go straight for the wine card and talk to the waitor (that speaks the most english, which isnt a lot, so Im going Italian mode. which works a bit better. Turns out they have ardanza res. esp. 2001 and immediately I go Thats the one! we take 2! Turns out its their last 2 bottles.
>
> the waiter opens and pours in decanter (even though the spaniard in our midst doesnt know any spanish word for decanter) and lets me taste first. One whiff and Im in heaven!
>
> i say "this is EXACTLY what I think real wine is and what I think rioja is , when I mention rioja and think of rioja! And I did not expect to find anything like this here.
>
> the iberico ham comes in as well. the italian wine enthusiasnt tries it and goes " wow, what the **** , this is REALLY REALLY good. this night is turning out to be really something alreadY". i managed to convert a sceptic.
> He kept talking about how amazing that wine was during the entire evening..
>
> it had that transcended broken down fruit with wood and tobacco, that fills me with joy and gives me goosebumps, brick colour, lingering finish.
> the label described that they made this version in only three vintages. 1964 (not certain of that vintage), 1973, and 2001, where the weather was in a certain way.

I liked this a lot last year.
'64, 73, and '01 are excellent years. Maybe also big crops so they did the Especial label because they had enough GR?
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 5/4/16 9:00 PM, Michael Nielsen wrote:

> 2001 La Rioja Alta "Viña Ardanza" Reserva Especial Rioja *****+
>
> OMG. that says it all.

I'm jealous. I've had a couple version of the Ardanza Reserva, which I
liked quite a lot, but the 904 is also quite fine.

> the iberico ham comes in as well. the italian wine enthusiasnt tries
> it and goes " wow, what the **** , this is REALLY REALLY good. this
> night is turning out to be really something alreadY". i managed to
> convert a sceptic. He kept talking about how amazing that wine was
> during the entire evening.

Many of the Italians I know (reading this, Mike?) prefer Iberico to most
Prosciutto (and also prefer olive oil from Spain to most of the Tuscan
output).

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Friday, May 6, 2016 at 4:56:43 PM UTC+2, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 5/4/16 9:00 PM, Michael Nielsen wrote:
> >
> > 2001 La Rioja Alta "Viña Ardanza" Reserva Especial Rioja *****+
> >
> > OMG. that says it all.

> I'm jealous. I've had a couple version of the Ardanza Reserva, which I
> liked quite a lot, but the 904 is also quite fine.

I always only read about that La Rioja Alta was supposed to be on par with Tondonia, but I never tried them. At the airport I found Grand reserva 940 2004. They had one 2001 which I just only saw, but someone else was too fast and grabbed it while I saw it. So I bought the 2004.

> Many of the Italians I know (reading this, Mike?) prefer Iberico to most
> Prosciutto (and also prefer olive oil from Spain to most of the Tuscan
> output).

The Italians there thought parma was still better than the iberico and thought maybe we didnt get the best parma in trieste. They said the parma isnt as dry, but then I said I prefer the iberico especially because it is more leathery. Like I also prefer salami thats dry. My mother in law is also always annoyed when I eat iberico instead of Italian prosciutto. But the market I get iberico in Trieste has 9 differnt grades of parma/ san danielle, and then also iberico. I tried the best italian they had and iberico is still much better. Tehy are all cut to order form the big leg.

To me its Serrano < parma < iberico.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Michael Nielsen > wrote in
:

> I always only read about that La Rioja Alta was supposed to be on par
> with Tondonia, but I never tried them. At the airport I found Grand
> reserva 940 2004. They had one 2001 which I just only saw, but
> someone else was too fast and grabbed it while I saw it. So I bought
> the 2004.

You were probably lucky. I liked 2004 better than 2001 and that 2001 had
probably been too long on the shelf. It is a great wine.

2005 Lopez de Haro Rioja Reserva Jcoulter Wine 2 13-09-2014 05:03 PM
Vina Eguia Rioja Reserva 2007 jcoulter Wine 1 02-01-2013 05:02 PM
[TN] CdR, Bone Jolly, La Rioja Alta Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 7 29-10-2008 12:07 AM
TN:1985 Cune Rioja Reserva Bi!! Wine 11 02-02-2007 04:42 PM
1996 Rioja Reserva Joseph Coulter Wine 5 26-06-2006 09:37 PM