Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Easter weekend wines

riday we had several friends over. We started with canapes (pork with pipian sauce, caprese, avocado) and the 2006 Henriot Brut Millesime Champagne. Fuller style but not heavily taosty- pear, citrus, just a hint of baking dinner rolls. B+

Dinner was bouillabaisse, and a variety of wines were poured

2015 Commanderie de Peyrassol Rose (Cotes de Provence)
Bright, strawberries and melon , a light herbal note. Fresh. B+

2014 Pepiere €œBriords€ Muscadet
Another great showing of this. Taut, stelly, crisp, saline. Long finish. A-

2014 Terres Dorees (JP Brun) Beaujolais Blanc
Clean apple meets pear Chardonnay fruit, medium acids, nice. B/B+

1975 Ch. St. Jean Cabernet Sauvignon (Sonoma)
Moving some stuff for mature CaliCab dinner last month, I discovered this had a sunken cork, and torn capsule revealed pretty saturated cork. High shoulder. Not something to take to a group dinner, but I stood up and have a shot Fri. Some funk on opening, but cleans up, plummy fruit with just a hint of a roasted note, lots of leather, better than I expected and quite popular. B/B-

2001 Lafarge Bourgogne
Tart cherries, good acids, earth, drinking just fine (pretty good for 15 yr old Bourgogne from a tough vintage in CdB!) B

2014 Lapierre Raisins Gauloises
Glug, glug (ok, I guess its supposed to be glou glou). Juicy, fresh, slurpable. B+/B

Saturday some old friends were in town from Asheville, and we hopped down to Riverdale to see them. Starters were Betsys deviled eggs with ikura, and a nice pate. Couple Proseccos:

Mionetto Prosecco
Apple cider/applesauce, sweet, quite short. Heat? C+

LaMarca Prosecco
Sec tendre, fresher apple flavors, ok. B-

Dinner was €œchicken bouillabaisse€

1998 Bois de Boursan ChÄteauneuf-du-Pape.
Kirsch, earth, leather, a little garrigue if you look for it. Fully mature, drink up. B

2015 Bieler & Pere Rose ( Coteaux d'Aix-en-Provence )
Light colors, light flavors, but snappy acids go well with food. B/B+

Sunday Betsy played at local church while I butterflied and roasted a leg of lamb, then we went to her sisters big annual Easter open house. Besides the lamb there was salmon, an assortment of savory pies (Italian Easter, quiches, tarts), vegetables, charcuterie and cheese, salads, etc.

1982 Fleur Cardinale (St Emilion)
Double decanted for sediment before I left home. TS fill, good cork. Black plum, currants, but fruit is beginning to fade. Cigarbox, leather. With time the cigarbox gets a little ashtray-y, but still a nice St Emilion that was probably better 10 years ago. B/B-
\
2001 Les Fiefs de Lagrange (St Julien)
Double decanted for sediment before I left home.; What a nice showing for a 2nd wine. Cassis and blackberry, a light (nice) edge of bell pepper, some pencil shavings. Moderately framed, ready to go. B+/B

2013 Bois de la Salle Julienas
OK Gamay, cherries and a little spice, but on light and short side. B-

2013 Frontera Pinot Noir
Whoa, beware the Chilean PN. Sweet, empty, short. Candied non-Pinot like fruit. C

2014 Sierra del Mar Pinot Noir
On sweet side, but not as vapid as the Chilean PN, modestly sized, a little vanilla. C+/B-

2013 Sean Minor Pinot Noir
(think Sonoma coast). Ripe red fruit, a little vanilla and cola, pretty ripe but not OTT. B/B-

2013 Petite Petit
Petite Sirah from Lodi. Kirsch meets cassis, sweet fruit approaching jammy, , some tannin, might have been better if I tried with lamb, some people really liked. B-

1998 Ch. de Fieuzal
First wine I sampled when I arrived, one taste and I realized it had been opened probably a week before- VA, oxidative notes, not a representative sample

2013 Masciarelli Montepulciano d'Abruzzo
Screwcapped magnum, but actually a pretty wine. Light, fresh cherries, dont look here for complexity but a good straightforward value. B/B-

(vintage) Ruffino Orvieto
Pretty simple, but inoffensive- touch of sweetness, pear fruit, easy. B-/C+

NV Montand Brut Champagne-
Lighter styled, apples, a little brioche. B-

Went home, relaxed and did some chores for a while, then had a late supper- salmon, kimchee, rice, and spinach. Wine was the 2014 Brun/Terres Dorees €œLAncien€ Beaujolais. Cranberry, raspberry, smoke, a nice sappy Gamay with good finish. B+

TN: Easter weekend wines (Bdx, Burg, CA, NY, more) DaleW Wine 0 19-04-2017 09:32 PM
Easter wines Michael Nielsen[_4_] Wine 0 29-03-2016 09:44 PM
TN: Easter weekend wines DaleW Wine 0 10-04-2012 03:32 PM
TN: Many Easter wines DaleW Wine 2 10-04-2007 02:43 PM
TN: Easter weekend wines (and the winners are NZ SB & '02 Sancerre) Dale Williams Wine 4 15-04-2004 09:04 PM