Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Rueda, Macon, and Morey-St_Denis

Tuesday we had a crazy day- Betsy was recording, I had a busy work day, and we needed to go to wake for a much-loved village character. Good day for slow cooker- we did our corned beef and cabbage early. Tasty, and would have been fine with just off-dry Riesling,but it was no-wine night.

Wed I was supposed to go for a dinner with a St. Amour producer, but it got pushed back to late, so I got to have dinner with my wife. Grilled squid over arugula and a soba/edamame/carrot salad; wine was the 2014 Navales Verdejo. Crisp, mildly grassy, lots of citrus (grapefruit edge that reminds me of Fresca, which for some reason is the rare soft drink I enjoy). Good value. B

Thursday Betsy was headed north for a concert, but I had an early flight Fri, so stayed home and grilled sardines (with leftover soba salad) . Opened the 2011 Maynes (Guillot) Macon-Villages- sweet pears, a little citrus, sweeter than I expected. That intensifies with time, taking on a canned peach note. I've typically like the Vignes du Maynes wines, but this is a slight disappointment. B-/C+

Next 2 nights in GA visiting my mom who's in chemo. I cooked dinner for her and my aunt both nights- Shrimp, pepper and leeks over pasta Fri and pork with lentils Sat- but no wine. I was only one who would have drunk, choices in cupboard were KJ or Barefoot Chardonnay, and supermarket choices were dismal and overpriced.

So when I flew into Newark Sunday night I was happy to hear duck legs were on menu. Drove home (scattered snow on first day of spring) ran into house, kissed Betsy, by time I ran to cellar and back dinner (duck, pureed cauliflower, sauteed spinach, salad) was hitting the table. I had grabbed first Burg in sight, the 2012 Remi Jeanniard Morey-St.-Denis Vieilles Vignes. Really shut down by the cold at first. Opens with air and warmth, red and black cherries, a little earth, but more about the fruit right now. Pleasing if not intriguing. B

2005 Morey-Coffinet Chassagne Montrachet 1er Morgeot Bi!! Wine 0 29-10-2013 04:48 PM
TN: Rheingau QbA and Morey St Denis DaleW Wine 0 28-04-2010 07:51 PM
Rueda in NYT DaleW Wine 1 05-03-2008 11:15 PM
Morey, Gabbiano, Stellenzicht, Crasto, Gaudium, Rosemount...etc. Bill S. Wine 2 22-04-2006 11:44 PM
TN: Morey St Denis and a Maximin Grünhäuser Qba Dale Williams Wine 0 06-11-2003 04:23 AM