Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Many many wines with great Filipino food in Jersey City

Salil came from CT and we carpooled to Jersey City yesterday (Google maps took us through Hoboken that was different). The scent of gougeres led us right to Jay and Arnold's apartment where a nice group of winegeeks were gathered. Besides the gougeres, we enjoyed tapenade,
gingery Filipino chicken rice soup with chicken hearts (a bit like congee), a whole pig. squid sisig (chopped crunch mix that you wrap in lettuce). delicious octopus, green beans, pureed cauliflower, and cheese (and Betsy said great tiramisu)

Waaaayy too many wines for real notes. I hope I at least got wines accurately. I was mostly talking and tasting, wrote a few (cryptic) notes.

Whites

2007 F. Cotat Monts Damnes Sancerre
My wine, showing well (couple people thought too ripe), full bodied , minerally, long. A-

2009 Pepiere Thebaud Muscadet (mag)
Tangy, leesy, full, citrus and saline. B+/A-

1993 Baumard Clos du Papillon Savennieres
There's an odd lactic note that I find a little offputting at first, but it seems to blow off. Waxy, good acids, nice. B/B+

2005 Peillot Altesse Rousette du Bugey Montagnieu
Floral, light, maybe getting a bit tired but tasty. B/B-

2004 Cazin "Cuvee Renaissance" Cour-Cheverny
a little drier than I remembered, wax, wool, and pretty apples, drinking nicely and I should go dig out mine. B+

2014 Terre de Nere Calderara Sottana Etna Bianco
Full, structured nice acids, lots of extract, big but sprightly. B+

I didn't note anything re the 2014 Huet le Mont Demi-Sec or a 2001 Leitz Spatlese, though liked them both. There was a bottle of Joly Coulee de Serrant that I missed vintage on (though clearly young), I think others enjoyed more than I did, thought a bit plodding. There were several wines I didn't get a chance to try (I think at least 2 JJ Prums)

Reds

1990 Edmunds St John Durell Syrah (mag)
Nice of Salil to bring this since he had unknowingly outbid me at auction last year. Really nice showing from mag, earth and coffee over red plum fruit, second visit shows leathery (in a nice way). Balanced acids, just enough tannin remaining to give a some structure, thanks. A-

1995 Mt St Mary Quintet
Red fruits, menthol/eucalyptus, slightly gritty tannin but I like a lot. B+

2009 Texier "La Croix" St Joseph VV
This is going to be great, but I thought pretty tight yesterday. B for drinking now.

2008 Bea Sagrantino di Montefalco Pagliaro
Others liked this more than I did, I thought it had an almost Amarone-ish quality. I usually love Bea. B-/C+

2006 Clos Roche Blanche Cabernet
Red fruits, plenty of tannin, green herbiness that I enjoy but some others dislike. Maybe most divisive wine of the day. But for me B+

2000 Domaine Filliatreau Saumur-Champigny VV
Light to midbodied Cab Franc, dark fruits with green pepper and herbs, lively and in no danger of fading. B/B+

2006 Pousse d'Or Volnay (I think this was the 60 Ouvres, but can't swear)
I liked this a lot, already in a nice early drinking mode, black cherry fruit with earth and mocha, nice balance, A-

2006 Marechal Savigny-les-Beaune VV
Also drinking nicely, black cherry and raspberry, floral. B+

2005 Raphet Clos de la Roche
You can sense some real potential here, but this is pretty primary and with some real tannin. B for drinking now.

1996 Gouges Nuits St Georges
This was in a decanter, I could see the Gouges label but never checked to if a 1er. Good red and black cherry fruit, tangy acids, a little funk, a little roasted meat. B+

The next 3 wines were tasted blind,but I nailed them all (because they were unveiled before I tasted them)

1998 Clos de Roilette (Coudert) Fleurie
Pretty sure this was the regular not the Tardive. Really quite pretty- crunchy raspberry/cranberry fruit, smoke, soil. This is the oldest regular Coudert I've tried and I guess I should age more! B+/A-

1995 Savoye Morgon
Not a producer I've had much experience with, this seems like a good wine that is maybe just past it, but with signs of what was. . Dark fruits, beef blood, leather, ashtray. B-C+

1995 Pierre Bise Gamay (Anjou)
Herby, a bit of potted plant, red fruits, others liked more. B-

Another wrapped bottle, this one I did taste blind, whiffed. Black plum, herbs, mint, I guess late 70s/early 80s CalCab (reminded me of some Burgess CS from that era. It's the 1990 Matanzas Creek Merlot. B

Jay taped some candles to a decanter and we sang HB to Andrew as he brought out the 1966 Warre Vintage Port. Nicely balanced, on lighter side (that's a good thing) with cocoa and violets. B+/A-

Corked wines included my 1988 Drouhin Clos Vougeot, a 1964 Monte Real , and an Austrian Riesling. Sure there were other wines I tasted and missed, and some I didn't taste. Really fun day/evening, and nice of Betsy to drive Salil and I back.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2/28/16 12:03 PM, DaleW wrote:

> I didn't note anything re the 2014 Huet le Mont Demi-Sec or a 2001
> Leitz Spatlese, though liked them both. There was a bottle of Joly
> Coulee de Serrant that I missed vintage on (though clearly young), I
> think others enjoyed more than I did, thought a bit plodding. There
> were several wines I didn't get a chance to try (I think at least 2
> JJ Prums)

Word on the street has it that the Coulee de Serrant was 2012, though
Jeff G. swears that it was older.

Fantastic lineup of wines, Dale. Thanks for posting these notes.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2/29/16 10:39 AM, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 2/28/16 12:03 PM, DaleW wrote:
>
>> I didn't note anything re the 2014 Huet le Mont Demi-Sec or a 2001
>> Leitz Spatlese, though liked them both. There was a bottle of Joly
>> Coulee de Serrant that I missed vintage on (though clearly young), I
>> think others enjoyed more than I did, thought a bit plodding. There
>> were several wines I didn't get a chance to try (I think at least 2
>> JJ Prums)

> Word on the street has it that the Coulee de Serrant was 2012, though
> Jeff G. swears that it was older.

Oh, and the Gouges was the Clos des Porrets.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Monday, February 29, 2016 at 12:26:26 PM UTC-5, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 2/29/16 10:39 AM, Mark Lipton wrote:
> > On 2/28/16 12:03 PM, DaleW wrote:
> >
> >> I didn't note anything re the 2014 Huet le Mont Demi-Sec or a 2001
> >> Leitz Spatlese, though liked them both. There was a bottle of Joly
> >> Coulee de Serrant that I missed vintage on (though clearly young), I
> >> think others enjoyed more than I did, thought a bit plodding. There
> >> were several wines I didn't get a chance to try (I think at least 2
> >> JJ Prums)

> > Word on the street has it that the Coulee de Serrant was 2012, though
> > Jeff G. swears that it was older.

> Oh, and the Gouges was the Clos des Porrets.
>
> Mark Lipton
>

> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Thanks Mark, the miracle of the interwebz.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2/29/16 3:16 PM, DaleW wrote:

> Thanks Mark, the miracle of the interwebz.

Indeed, Dale. It takes a village, or something like that

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 29/02/2016 10:26 AM, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 2/29/16 10:39 AM, Mark Lipton wrote:
>> On 2/28/16 12:03 PM, DaleW wrote:
>>
>>> I didn't note anything re the 2014 Huet le Mont Demi-Sec or a 2001
>>> Leitz Spatlese, though liked them both. There was a bottle of Joly
>>> Coulee de Serrant that I missed vintage on (though clearly young), I
>>> think others enjoyed more than I did, thought a bit plodding. There
>>> were several wines I didn't get a chance to try (I think at least 2
>>> JJ Prums)

>> Word on the street has it that the Coulee de Serrant was 2012, though
>> Jeff G. swears that it was older.

> Oh, and the Gouges was the Clos des Porrets.

I have several of his wines of more recent vintages and even with his basic
Bourgogne, I wonder whether I'll live long enough to enjoy them.
Graham