Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Survival of the Zalto, and Scherrer PN

I have a lot of stems (and a few stemless glasses), but am not compulsive about matching wine to stem. I most often use a white wine glass in the 12-14 oz range (for whites or lighter reds), or maybe the Zalto universal. If a claret or serious Burgundy, I will bring out those, but that's maybe once a week.

So last night I'm solo. There's a stoppered bottle of Champagne in fridge, and I'm going to open a PN for dinner. I'll use the Zalto white wine glass (probably #1 in my rotation), I have a small glass of the bubbles as I'm prepping dinner (paprika Cornish hen with peppers, celeriac, carrots etc). Then I put pan in oven and pour the red. Now I'm reading recipe
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/ ... les-102935
and thinking "that's #$%&ing insane", that recipe will lead to Shrunken Dry Bird on Charcoal Briquettes"

So I'm distracted after stirring veggies (deciding how to adjust timing) and turn around with slotted spoon extended in my hand- bang, I watch in horror as expensive glass falls over on sink edge and rolls into sink- 2 chances to smash. Shockingly, it survives. That is one tough glass. I have a bunch of the Schott Zweisel break resistant glasses, and wouldn't have thought badly of them if one had smashed in that scenario.

Oh yeah, the 2007 Scherrer Pinot Noir (Russian River Valley). Nice, ripe but not overripe or hot (abv is 14.5, more than my usual but not high for CA PN I guess) , black cherry, earth and herbs, later in night a bit of coffee.. Not super complex but quite tasty. I've enjoyed Scherrer Zin before, think this is first PN, won't be last. B+
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Friday, February 5, 2016 at 8:42:04 AM UTC-5, DaleW wrote:
> I have a lot of stems (and a few stemless glasses), but am not compulsive about matching wine to stem. I most often use a white wine glass in the 12-14 oz range (for whites or lighter reds), or maybe the Zalto universal. If a claret or serious Burgundy, I will bring out those, but that's maybe once a week.
>
> So last night I'm solo. There's a stoppered bottle of Champagne in fridge, and I'm going to open a PN for dinner. I'll use the Zalto white wine glass (probably #1 in my rotation), I have a small glass of the bubbles as I'm prepping dinner (paprika Cornish hen with peppers, celeriac, carrots etc). Then I put pan in oven and pour the red. Now I'm reading recipe
> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/ ... les-102935
> and thinking "that's #$%&ing insane", that recipe will lead to Shrunken Dry Bird on Charcoal Briquettes"
>
> So I'm distracted after stirring veggies (deciding how to adjust timing) and turn around with slotted spoon extended in my hand- bang, I watch in horror as expensive glass falls over on sink edge and rolls into sink- 2 chances to smash. Shockingly, it survives. That is one tough glass. I have a bunch of the Schott Zweisel break resistant glasses, and wouldn't have thought badly of them if one had smashed in that scenario.
>
> Oh yeah, the 2007 Scherrer Pinot Noir (Russian River Valley). Nice, ripe but not overripe or hot (abv is 14.5, more than my usual but not high for CA PN I guess) , black cherry, earth and herbs, later in night a bit of coffee. Not super complex but quite tasty. I've enjoyed Scherrer Zin before, think this is first PN, won't be last. B+

I still have a complete set of four Luminarc wine glasses that my family gave me around '90. Between regular uses and hand washings, it's a miracle they're still intact!

Dan-O (the butterfingers man)
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2/5/2016 12:19 PM, Dan the Man wrote:
> On Friday, February 5, 2016 at 8:42:04 AM UTC-5, DaleW wrote:
>> I have a lot of stems (and a few stemless glasses), but am not compulsive about matching wine to stem. I most often use a white wine glass in the 12-14 oz range (for whites or lighter reds), or maybe the Zalto universal. If a claret or serious Burgundy, I will bring out those, but that's maybe once a week.
>>
>> So last night I'm solo. There's a stoppered bottle of Champagne in fridge, and I'm going to open a PN for dinner. I'll use the Zalto white wine glass (probably #1 in my rotation), I have a small glass of the bubbles as I'm prepping dinner (paprika Cornish hen with peppers, celeriac, carrots etc). Then I put pan in oven and pour the red. Now I'm reading recipe
>> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/ ... les-102935
>> and thinking "that's #$%&ing insane", that recipe will lead to Shrunken Dry Bird on Charcoal Briquettes"
>>
>> So I'm distracted after stirring veggies (deciding how to adjust timing) and turn around with slotted spoon extended in my hand- bang, I watch in horror as expensive glass falls over on sink edge and rolls into sink- 2 chances to smash. Shockingly, it survives. That is one tough glass. I have a bunch of the Schott Zweisel break resistant glasses, and wouldn't have thought badly of them if one had smashed in that scenario.
>>
>> Oh yeah, the 2007 Scherrer Pinot Noir (Russian River Valley). Nice, ripe but not overripe or hot (abv is 14.5, more than my usual but not high for CA PN I guess) , black cherry, earth and herbs, later in night a bit of coffee. Not super complex but quite tasty. I've enjoyed Scherrer Zin before, think this is first PN, won't be last. B+

> I still have a complete set of four Luminarc wine glasses that my family gave me around '90. Between regular uses and hand washings, it's a miracle they're still intact!
>
> Dan-O (the butterfingers man)

A long time ago I learned to wash my glasses the morning after drinking
from them but there is still the slotted spoon to watch out for.
Posted to alt.food.wine

A sales guy for Reidel hosted a lot of wine glass wine match tastings, and he showed they are not that fragile despite being thin, by smashing them together. everyone at the tasting gasped as he did it.
Reminds me of my father with his flexible titanium glasses, he used as a party trick to show they cant break, but at my place they did break

My favorite PN is 14%, another I like is 13.5, so 14.5% is on the high side.