Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Good Loires, nice St Julien, plus Ruwer, Champagne, Tuscan, OR

uesday I grilled salmon, served with barley,broccoli rabe, and the 2013 Jousset "Premier Rendez-Vous" Montlouis-sur-Loire. Nice wine- wet stones, pear, chalk. Dry, long. Get more. B+

Wednesday a violinist friend of Betsy's who lives in Norway was in city, and she and her Swedish conductor husband came up to visit. We greeted with antipasti, hummus, etc along with the NV Chalvon "Grand Reserve" Champagne. Very light style of Champagne, granny smith and lemon, others liked a lot. B-

Betsy had made 2 roast chickens, sweet potatoes, & spinach.

1970 Beychevelle
Elegant mature claret. Black fruit, cigarbox, a little truffley note. Sweet and easy, not especially long, but quite satisfying. B+/A-

no real dessert, but fresh applesauce and a finisher
2007 Maximum Grunhauser (von Schubert) Auslese (375)
I'm embarrassed to say that I neglected to note whether this was Abtsberg or Herrenberg. Stone fruits, lime, good but not extreme acids. On young side, just a hint of petrol, but drinking nicely. B+

Thursday no wine as I had dinner at a speech on Long Island. Friday I made
clams on linguine, brussels sprouts, and salad, with was the regular 2014 Pepiere Muscadet. Tangy, saline, what a bargain. B++

Saturday grilled pork tenderloin, squash, sauteed baby broccoli rabe, whole wheat couscous, and the 2013 Lapierre Morgon. Bright juicy red fruits, spicy with a little herb note, quite satisfying. B+

Sunday off to a dinner parry. We were in charge of appetizers, did small timbales (well, used mini muffin pan) of goat cheese and spinach.
NV Pinon Non Dose Touraine
Bright acids, striking crispness, vivid citrus and apple fruit B+

NV Pinon Rose Touraine
A bit heavy next to the no-dosage, but this is a perennial favorite and a really good wine. B+/B

with a grilled baby octopus appetizer, the 2013 Parentiere Muscadet. Light, typical, minerally, good value if without excitement of Pepiere night before. B/B-

2005 Argyle Pinot Noir Reserve
Ripe fruit, some cola (?), some sandalwood, just a hint of oxidation on end.. B

2010 Paitin "Serra" Barbaresco
Big, some big tannins, but good fruit and a bit of oak. B- for drinking now, B+ potential

2013 Manero
This is Tuscan, but tastes like Cal Merlot with oak chips. Soft, gloppy, artificial vanilla. C

Fun night, fun crowd.

No wines Monday with chevre/Spinach timbales (recipe made a bunch), lentils, sweet potatoes, roasted rainbow carrots, and salad.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 11/17/15 11:11 AM, DaleW wrote:

> Sunday off to a dinner parry. We were in charge of appetizers, did
> small timbales (well, used mini muffin pan) of goat cheese and
> spinach. NV Pinon Non Dose Touraine Bright acids, striking crispness,
> vivid citrus and apple fruit B+

Good to hear, Dale. Jean and I have loved past editions of the Pinon
non-dose, and IIRC I've got some more headed our way (Fall shipping from
CA took its sweet long time getting here)

Mark Lipton