FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: Mostly good values- Loire, Austria, Piedmont, etc (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/435352-tn-mostly-good-values.html)

DaleW 04-11-2015 09:20 PM

TN: Mostly good values- Loire, Austria, Piedmont, etc

With roast chicken with roasted vegetables, the 2009 Luneau=Papin "Excelsior" Muscadet. Tasty, rich, not quite as vibrant as I'm used to for top Muscadet. But great flavor profile- seashells, citrus, a little green apple, a little smoke. Really quite tasty, if not snappy. B+

Next night was cod braised in a adobo/chipotle sauce with chickpeas, with the 2013 Schloss Gobelsberg " Gobelsberger" . Gruner Veltiner. Citrus fruit, sweet pea, a little floral. Nice balance, great value. B+/B

With grilled tuna served with ratatouille, the 2014 Burlotto Verduno Pelaverga. Light, fresh, red fruited with lots of pepper. Fun little wine. B/B+

pork tenderloin with chickpeas, spinach and tomato, the 2012 Kunstler Riesling Trocken. Full, nicely balanced, dry peaches, not a ton of complexity but for $13 good value. Made up for me picking up a pan straight from oven. Ouch. B

Greek salad with shrimp, and the 2012 Defino Catarratto. I've thought the Defino Frappato was a fine value, but this is basically dilute and insipid. Thought I had enjoyed before but that was the Bosco Falconera Catarratto. Nothing to see here, move along folks. C+/C

Last night steak with a coffee spce rub, asparagus with 5 min 10 sec egg; with was the 2013 Produttori del Barbaresco Langhe Nebbiolo. What a nice value in early drinking Nebbiolo. A little funky at first, that blows off, nice cherry fruit, flowers, even a hint of tar. B+/B