Posted to alt.food.wine

Default North Rhone Tasting

So tonight I hosted a north rhone tasting, and people were happier than with the burgundy tasting.

I'll list the wines with my 5 star score, my 100pt cellartracker score, and the average 100pt score of all 7 people; stars/pt/avr.pt

1. Cave de Tain Prestige selection Crozes Hermitage 2013 */65/71

generic, supermarket wine red berry bitter finish, sodalike. could be a 5E salento wine. but is 3 times the price

2. Belle crozes hermitage 2011 *** / 85/82

deep dark red, earth,tannins on the finish. revisiting it grew on us. longer finish , not as astringent.

3. Reynaud Crozes hermitage 2008 ****- / 88/87

unfiltered "nature wine" wierdest wine ever. olive tapanade, sour like north Italy orange wine. sour boysenberry, very unique. the french guy in the company loved this. people exclaimed "ok, Im surprised!". we went back to it after the tasting and found the sourness transformed into a wholegrain bread flavour!

4. Yann Chave La rouverre Crozes hermitage 2012 **** /89/88

some granit. red bery, tannins, fresh acids. really comes out with food, licorice, reminds of CdP.

5. Dom. Gallet Cote Rotie 2010 ****+ /92/85

Better than Guigals Bruine. Ooh, Olives, granite, bacon, savoury, a mix of 3+4 dusty tannins, too young. revisiting later and it had a distanct orange peel. growing on me. wonder what happens in 10 years with this (adjusted from 88 to 92). Apparently everybody didnt agree.

6. Alain Verset Cornas 2012 **** /92/90

Earthy, smoky, tangy, tannins, another ball park than the rest. people agrees this was much better than anything before it. yummy scent, can keep just smelling it and be happy. love it.

7. Vincent granit 30 Cornas 2013 ***/ 85/81

disappointing. should have gotten granit 60 or Greynale. purple, olive, short finish, dark fruits, tart.

8. Courbis Sabarotte Cornas 2004 ***** /95/96!!!

wow! bacon, granite, olive, smoke, filling your head with joy just smelling it. people said " I can taste it from just smelling it". long finish.

Much more successful than my burgundy tasting.