Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Dry Rieslings, white Burg, Rioja, Argentine, sweet kosher, etc

Friday we joined some friends and their new neighbors for a shabbat dinner. We were welcomed with assorted nibbles- whitefish salad, almonds, olives, etc. I was given a glass of the 2012 Cachibache Malbec-Syrah. Jammy, a bit tannic, fruitloopy on finish. C+

To table where bread was broken and the Manischewitz was blessed and passed.. It tasted like Manischewitz. B (ranked in its category!

First course was matzoh ball soup, followed by a salad. Wine was NV Chalvon "Grande Reserve" Brut Champagne. Citrus and green apple, sweet edge, easy B-/C+

Main course was brisket, red cabbage, potato kugel, & green beans, accompanied by the 2005 Venta Real Rioja Gran Reserva. New winery to me - a little dill and coconut, red fruits, ripe but not jammy. B/B-

Nice night with nice people

Saturday I got some bluefish at the farmers market, grilled with mayo/Dijon and served with rice, squash, and the 2009 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Bourgogne blanc. Matches well, more like a tasty village Meursault than a Bourgogne, full but crisp; B+

Sunday was miso-roasted chicken thighs, roasted turnips/radishes, and the 2013 Emrich-Schonleber "Mineral" Riesling Trocken. Snappy, happy, great citrus and rock notes, long finish. B+

Tonight is our anniversary, but Betsy is leading a mediation circle, so I took her to Harpers last night. Carried a couple of 2001s till see decided what she wanted. She chose fried oysters with a black garlic aoili and pork shoulder with sauerkraut and potatoes, so I order smoked trout rillettes and a monkfish stew with mussels and chorizo , and had them open the 2001 Trimbach Cuvee Frederic Emile. I was a little worried at first, smelled great, but poured a clean light gold and then seemed to darken towards bronze within minutes. But neither nose or palate showed oxidation- clean bright apple fruit framed with citrus on the nose, on the palate more lemon with some pit fruit notes. A little petrol develops over the meal, long with a tangy mineral finish. Excellent showing (I looked to make sure I hadn't accidentally opened a 375eme Anniversary bottle). A-/B+