Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: SOBER with Hermitage, Fiorano, Mugnier, Stony Hill, etc

Sunday Betsys quartet played Bargemusic, after we walked up to Jack The Horse Tavern in Brooklyn Heights for dinner. I had planned on BYO (had a Dujac MSD and a Steiner Hund in my bag to cover red or white), but when we got to restaurant she said shed like a cocktalil. Didnt seem smart to open a bottle at that point, so I just got a BTG white. The 2013 Stadlmann Gruner Veltliner was on the plump and sweet side, not to me recognizably GVish, a bit like KJ chard with better acids. B-/C+
Meal was pretty good (baby lettuce salad, octopus with chorizo and cannellini, cod, risotto, brussels sprouts- last 2 could have been more aggresively season) but place was a bit loud for us. On drive home we enjoyed watched the €śsupermoon€ť over Queens, and watched the eclipse later.

Monday was acorn squash, roasted cauliflower/broccoli/peppers, sesame snow peas, salad,& honey/cumin carrots. Lots of flavors to throw off a pairing, but the 2014 Clos Roche Blanche €śPif€ť was nicely versatle. Peppery fruits, some green leaf/tobaccoleaf aromas, spicy and lively. B++

Tuesday took train down to city, Craig was hosting SOBER at Francos loft, though several people couldnt make it so lots of replacements (nice folk). As I arrived 2 gleeful 4-year olds informed me my name was €śBanana Pudding€ť That called for a drink:

( I neglected to bring paper, tried Notes on my phone, think I can figure out what I meant)

1996 Henriot Brut
Weve had some great bottles of this, but this seemed to lack liveliness, and have a little sour edge to finish. No real oxidation, but lacking spark. C+

So Franco opened a replaement.
2003 Brut by Bollinger (thats what it said, not Grand Annee)
Sweet, tropical, lush, not my kind of Champagne. B-/C+

Mixology class - the sum was better than the parts, Id give the …“ Henriot to …” Bolly a B-

Nice collection of cheeses and charcuterie around

First Flight
#1- fresh, waxy/wooly (I thought Loire CB at first), white fruits and tangerine. Im astonished at age when unveiled. 1973 Stony Hill Chardonnay (actually says Pinot Chardonnay) A-

#2- VA and oxidation, not attractive, flawed bottle,
1974 Stony Hill Chardonnay (also says Pinot Chardonnay)

#3 - warm, tropical, quite pleasant though exotic (some Aussie guesses) Holding up well.
1978 Hanzell Chardonnay B+

Craig had a really nice dish in here- egg baked with mushrooms and cheese
Second blind flight
we were all over the place with these, someone guessed Spain, I guessed Corsica! Craig said wed jave heard of the wines but probably havent had the wines.
#1- weird nose, Id say flawed, but actually full and fairly fresh on palate.
1986 Fiorano Malvasia B

wine #2 : This was thin on nose and palate and I didnt really care for it much. C+/B-
1994 Fiorano Malvasia
I didnt really actually know the story but it was interesting - new wines to me. Wild story
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiorano_(wine)

Rebecca made a nice salad with almonds and cheese

First red flight
#1 - closed, dull, hard to get a read on. 2005 Mugnier Clos de la Marechale Nuits St George
B-/C+

#2 Ripe, giving, warm, Im surprised when Craig says PN and even more when revealed.
2006 Mugnier Clos de la Marechale Nuits St George, B

I have both of these, and hope its just awkward teenage phase!

Second red Flight
One wine was corked- think it was 83 Guigal

Wine #1- Bacon, pepper, spice, think Beaver or Chris got N. Rhone right away,
1978 Delas Hermitage B+

Wine #2 (pop and pour as replacement)
Meatier, earthy, mushrooms, good.
1978 Guigal Hermitage B+/B

Whole baked blackfish (tautog) with baked carrots

Final red flight
Wine #1 : Elegant, sandalwood and red fruit, very nice.
1970 Palacio €śGlorioso€ť Gran Riserva A-/B+

Wine #2- Quiet black fruits, earth, a little tobacco. Really no tannin, I was very surprised to hear vintage. 1975 Pape Clement B+/B

Wine #3- I left before this was unveiled , but I enjoyed my taste a lot. Powerful, smoky, good length. 1986 Kalin Cabernet Sauvignon B+/A-

Fun night, sorry for those that missed it