Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Margaux AC at the Gander

Our Bordeaux group met at the Gander last night for a visit to the appellation of Margaux.

Some snacks- shrimp toast and "brisket tater tots"

2000 Raveneau "Montmains" Chablis 1er
Honied, mature, a nutty bit of oxidation, not dead but lacking in verve. B-/C+

2004 Pavillon Blanc du Margaux
I was surprised how much I liked this, lively, citrus and apple, a little lanolin, nicely balanced. B+

Raw Sea Trout with lardo
1976 Chateau Palmer
Nice surprise, lead pencil, red fruit, some dirt. B

1978 Chateau Margaux
This was quite funky at first, seemed to clean up, but a retaste later was a roll in the barnyard. Soft , floral, plummy. A B while we tasted, later taste was too much for me.

Duck confit, gnocchi, and chanterelles wtth a really intense mushroom brodo,

1983 Ch. Rauzan-Segla
Cigarbox, sweet fruit, a pointe, very nice. B+

1986 Ch. Rauzan-Segla
Double-decanted. First bottle corked, this bottle had only been standing a day or so, but poured clean. A little extra tangy when first served, fills out with time, cassis and black cherry with leather and earth, good length. A-

Crispy branzino wth sweetbreads & creamed kale
1988 Chateau Margaux
This is very '88, tannin and a bit stern/brooding. But there's some elegance for the vintage, and I am surprised how much I like B+/A-

1989 Ch. Palmer
My WOTN. Elegant, balanced, complete. Heady mix of dark fruits, flowers, and spice. A/A-

Tubetti with veal cheek in a foie gras sauce
1995 Ch. Margaux
More open than the '96, rich and ripe, very nice. A-

1996 Ch. Margaux
This is my candidate for an eventual A. A bit in its shell but you can sense the power underneath, its a stereotype but iron fist in velvet glove. B+ for now

sousvide pork with potatoes and black truffle
1996 Chateau Palmer
Somehow I didn't write anything for this one, but thought good if young.,

1996 Rauzan-Segla
corked

Since we had the big meat dish arriving with only one wine, I pulled my backup wine, and Ramon did the same

1988 Rauzan-Segla
Another somewhat sturdy '88, still a bit of tannin, but nice briary fruit. B+/B

1995 Malescot St Exupery
Pretty open right off the bat, plummier fruit, a little vanilla. B+/B

Really nice group, good wines, excellent service , great food (I think everyone liked last course the least, the sousvide made the single-source pork taste a bit like luncheon loaf, otherwise everything was great).

Group voting (3/2/1 system)
1989 Palmer - 18
1995 Margaux 17
1996 Margaux 6
1986 Rausan Segla 4
1978 Margaux 4
1988 Margaux 1
1983 Rausan Segla 1

TN: Cathleen serves 14 Margaux AC, plus Truchot, Margaux, Taittingermand Ployez-Jacquemart to SOBER DaleW Wine 5 09-05-2013 10:53 PM
Marcassin and Margaux Bi!! Wine 0 06-06-2010 02:20 PM
TN Ch. Margaux 1975 Cwdjrx _ Wine 8 12-01-2005 03:52 PM
TN Ch. Margaux 1975 Cwdjrx _ Wine 0 10-01-2005 04:55 AM
TN: Margaux Mania Xyzsch Wine 2 08-10-2003 02:10 AM