Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Labor Day w/'85 Bdx, '85 Alsace, '06 Muscadet, and many young wines

Labor Day was a scorcher, but the crowd that descended on our backyard seemed not to mind. Betsy and I had prepared plenty of food for the grill- ribs, teriyaki salmon, herbed corn, various sausages, hot dogs, squash with za'tar, lamb chops, and clams in lemon garlic. Betsy has also made potato salad, broccoli salad, & guacamole. Friends brought cajun shrimp for the grill,another potato salad, beet salad, couscous, quinoa, watermelon/feta salad and lots of other things I lost track of.

The whites

2013 PY Colin-Morey Bourgogne Blanc
Full for Bourgogne, but with lifting acids. Yellow pit fruits and apples, floral, good length. B+/B

2004 Belliviere "l'Effraie" Coteaux de Loir
I loved this in its youth,but time and cork seal have not been good to it. Oxidized and nutty. C-

2006 Pepiere Clos des Briords Muscadet
Time has been good indeed to this. Stellar showing. seashells and rocks atop citrus, smooth, long on the finish with the saline/mineral notes dominating. Sure this can hold but pretty much all I want in Muscadet right now. A-

1985 Trimbach Cuvee Seigneurs des Ribeaupierre Gewurztraminer
Amazingly young, good clear color, lychee and rocks, good acids for Gewurztraminer, nice length. Holds up till day 2! B+/A-

2010 Trimbach Riesling
More rocks than fruit, steely, crisp. Unmoving on day 2. B

2014 Collestefano Verdicchio di Matelica
Good acids, lemony, fresh, great match with grilled clams with lemon and garlic. B+

2014 Alverdi Pinot Grigio (terre Degli Osci)
Thin, a bit grassy (I though overcropped SB till I saw label), at least it's cold. Even less appealing on day 2 C+

A lone rose
2014 Vissoux (Chermette) "Griottes" Beaujolais rose
Fresh, snappy, fun. B+/B

Some reds, mostly chilled, were inside

2014 Clos Roche Blanche "Pif"Touraine
Peppery dark fruit, fresh and young. I quite like, and am sorry this is final vintage for this winery. B+

2013 Filliatreau Ch. Fouquet Saumur
Black cherry, tobacco, a little green pepper. Fun and balanced. B/B+

2012 Eminence Road "Elizabeth's Vineyard" Cabernet Franc
Red fruits and herbs, a little muted (too long in an icechest), hard to judge at 32 degrees but I like.

1994 Lindemans St George Cabernet Sauvignon
Well, I wrote this down, but no notes. I opened, decanted and checked for corkiness, then went to grill duty. By time I returned it was gone gone gone.. All I know plenty of fruit left.

1985 Meyney
Nice showing from an old friend, fully mature, maybe beginning downslide, but still some firm cassis and black cherry fruit, cigarbox, leather. Tannins resolved, smooth and plummy. B+

Fun afternoon/evening with good people (as long as I could periodically visit AC).

So after I had a bunch of reds open several people showed up with reds in tow, that were never opened. Rather that take to cellar and forget, decided I'd open one a night. Last night (with leftovers from party- couscous, salmon, salad) I mostly tried opened whites from Labor Day, but also opened the 2010 Alquezar (Somontano). Tempranillo, Monastel, and Cabernet Sauvignon, this is soft and innocuous, red plum and berry fruit with a slightly swert edge. B-/C+

TN: Fat Alsace, Muscadet saves the day DaleW Wine 5 26-02-2011 09:30 PM
TN: Choucroute wines (Alsace and more) DaleW Wine 0 12-10-2009 02:10 PM
TN: 2 very different good wines (Muscadet, Coonawarra) DaleW Wine 0 26-04-2008 04:04 PM
TN: Labor Day wines DaleW Wine 0 05-09-2006 05:41 PM
TN: Labor Party wines Dale Williams Wine 10 09-09-2004 04:01 AM