Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: wines with fresh coq and mo Burgs, S. Africa, Loires,Italians, etc

Betsy's sister joined us for dinner on the patio- a tortilla pie (salsa verde, corn, queso fresco) , The 2014 Lucien Crochet Sancerre Rose was pretty darn delicious- crunchy/minerally cranberry fruit, hint of herbs, crisp and well balanced. B++

Long day for both of us, but Betsy threw together a quick Pierre Franey recipe of chicken with fresh tomatoes and tarragon as well as some pasta with pesto, while I sauteed some mixed greens.

2013 Badenhorst "Secateurs" Chenin Blanc
cooking wine, but nice midbodied wine, clean apple flavors with a little citrus, ripe and easy. Not sure I'd guess Chenin but pleasant and clean. B/B-

2011 Rocca di Castagnoli Chianti Classico
Plummy red fruit, soft and easy styled, but at least not New Worldy. B-

Last night I had a kind of very belated birthday dinner (11 months, long story). Kids of 3 couples were to serve, but adults did most of the cooking (and slaughtering of poultry). When we got to
Mark and Annabelle's we were greeted with olives, sausage, whitefish salad canapes, and the NV Piper-Heidsieck Champagne Brut. Very light styled bubbly, citrus and green apple, fresh., B

First course was a cold zucchini soup with nuts and herbs. Three whites

2011 Grand Metaire (Entre deux Mers)
Grassy, a little sour, getting tired.C+

2001 Trimbach Cuvee Frederic Emile Riesling
Clean, brisk, bright apple and lemon with notes of petrol, earth, and ginger. Full, long, young. Holds up well over several hours. A-

2006 Jean-Noël Gagnard "Morgeot" Chassagne-Montrachet 1er
Ripeness of the vintage shows, but there some balancing acid, this is seemingly fully mature, peach and pear fruit accented by almond. B+

Main course were two young roosters that Alex dispatched that AM, roasted and served with baked tomatoes and onion, sauteed greens, and a brown rice/wild rice combo. Two reds

2006 Drouhin Chassagne-Montrachet rouge
Just a bit of that red Chassagne rusticity, red fruits, ripe and soft for Drouhin, a little smoke. B/B-

1994 Paterno Vino Nobile di Montepulciano
Mature but not tired, red fruits, saddle leather, dried rose petals. Tannins resolved, good acids, tasty. B

Salad and a great cheese plate followed, with one more wine

2005 Belliviere "l'Effraie" Coteaux de Loir
Sweetness has integrated a bit since last time I tried, this is like a slightly soft demi-sec. Wool, apple, earth, orange zest. Good finish, Good with the stinkier cheeses. B

Fun night with close friends and good kids.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Fri, 04 Sep 2015 11:25:20 -0700, DaleW wrote:

> 2005 Belliviere "l'Effraie" Coteaux de Loir Sweetness has integrated a
> bit since last time I tried, this is like a slightly soft demi-sec.
> Wool, apple, earth, orange zest. Good finish, Good with the stinkier
> cheeses. B

Was it a tendre or just had some sweetness? Unusual for Coteaux du Loir
to be listed as other than sec, although there can be quite a lot of
fruit. Good to see these getting to the US as they are typically very
well priced (and also a fairly quick drive from the farm here!)

-E

--
Questions about wine? Check the FAQ. http://winefaq.cwdjr.net
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Monday, September 7, 2015 at 7:03:42 AM UTC-4, Emery Davis` wrote:
> On
> > cheeses. B

> Was it a tendre or just had some sweetness? Unusual for Coteaux du Loir
> to be listed as other than sec, although there can be quite a lot of
> fruit. Good to see these getting to the US as they are typically very
> well priced (and also a fairly quick drive from the farm here!)
>
> -E

Some definite sweetness. But I have the 2004 listed as dry, and plan on opening for today's Labor Day party
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2015-09-07 13:03, Emery Davis` wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Sep 2015 11:25:20 -0700, DaleW wrote:
>
>> 2005 Belliviere "l'Effraie" Coteaux de Loir Sweetness has integrated a
>> bit since last time I tried, this is like a slightly soft demi-sec.
>> Wool, apple, earth, orange zest. Good finish, Good with the stinkier
>> cheeses. B

> Was it a tendre or just had some sweetness? Unusual for Coteaux du Loir
> to be listed as other than sec, although there can be quite a lot of
> fruit. Good to see these getting to the US as they are typically very
> well priced (and also a fairly quick drive from the farm here!)

Good question
Their site gives the 2005 as "Off dry" in the English version, but the
French one is "Demi-sec / moelleux", and the suggestion (bleu celte et
chutney malouin / caramel au beurre salé, sorbet cacao et fruits secs)
is more on the moelleux side

For DaleW, the 2004 is "dry", at its peak 2014-2014, but also "sec",
apogée 2014-2044, best with a Saint-Nectaire

)

Should I confess I love almost everything they make?
--
Éric Lafontaine

TN: Loires, Burgs, Yarra Valley, etc DaleW Wine 0 05-04-2015 04:43 PM
TN: Burgs, Bdx, Loires, Alsace, Ribera Sacra,and Bergerac DaleW Wine 0 19-04-2014 08:30 PM
TN: VCC, Yquem, Burgs, Italians, more DaleW Wine 5 23-08-2006 04:11 PM
Burgs and Loires Bill S. Wine 0 04-03-2006 05:41 PM
South Africa wines etc jcoulter Wine 3 16-10-2004 09:20 AM