estherhoward

Default Going to New York City

Hey All
We are from Montreal going to New York City for American Thanksgiving
weekend. We are very into wines (my husband collects) and love fine food.
While we are there do u guys have any suggestions for us as where to
eat..Much appreciated

Esther

Vincent

Four Seasons Restaurant, without a doubt.
Your husband will be delighted.
That is, if you can get a booking.
Call today.

\/

"estherhoward" wrote in message

> Hey All
> We are from Montreal going to New York City for American Thanksgiving
> weekend. We are very into wines (my husband collects) and love fine food.
> While we are there do u guys have any suggestions for us as where to
> eat..Much appreciated
>

> Esther

Mark Lipton

Vincent wrote:
> Four Seasons Restaurant, without a doubt.
> Your husband will be delighted.
> That is, if you can get a booking.

That's a good, safe choice. The problem with dining on Thanksgiving is
that many restaurants are closed on Thanksgiving Day and reserved months
ahead for the following day (Black Friday). Hotel restaurants are
generally open. If you're looking for a traditional holiday meal, you
might want to try a place like Gramercy Tavern or Gotham Bar and Grill,
but my previously stated caveats still apply.

Mark Lipton
Dale Williams

Well, a few if price is no object:
The creme de la creme:
Per Se (I haven't tried, but they went right to the head of the class), Alain
Ducasse or Daniel. Probably too late for reservations at any of these
(certainly Per Se).

Pricey, incredible winelists (a few comparative bargains):
Cru, Veritas

It's hard to go wrong with any Danny Meyer restaurant (Union Square Cafe, 11
Madison Park, Tabla,Gramercy Tavern)- none are cheap, but good food, good
service, good atmosphere.

I like Triomphe at the Iroquois Hotel in midtown. Interesting eclectic list,
very good food.

I could go on with less expensive or ethnic places, but maybe if you indicated
what you're looking for, I could be more precise.

Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
David Pirmann

In > estherhoward > writes:

>We are from Montreal going to New York City for American Thanksgiving
>weekend. We are very into wines (my husband collects) and love fine food.
>While we are there do u guys have any suggestions for us as where to
>eat..Much appreciated

One year I had a very nice Thanksgiving Dinner at "City Hall" in
Tribeca. Menu & wine list on their web site. They also have (had?) a
very nice downstairs room used for functions/live music, the Mingus
Orchestra used to play there.
http://www.cityhallnewyork.com/

-Dave

Joe Giorgianni

"estherhoward" > wrote in message
> Hey All
> We are from Montreal going to New York City for American Thanksgiving
> weekend. We are very into wines (my husband collects) and love fine food.
> While we are there do u guys have any suggestions for us as where to
> eat..Much appreciated
>

> Esther

Well, you'll be passing within two miles of my house when you go down I-87.
If we weren't going to my brother's house, you could come here!

--
Joe Giorgianni
TheWho.org

"This guitar has seconds to live" Posters

Ron Lel

"estherhoward" > wrote in message
> Hey All
> We are from Montreal going to New York City for American Thanksgiving
> weekend. We are very into wines (my husband collects) and love fine food.
> While we are there do u guys have any suggestions for us as where to
> eat..Much appreciated
>

> Esther

Well Esther, if you want an Australian's suggestion; we had an excellent
meal at Picholine. The food was very good and the wine list has a lot of
gems at not too expensive NY prices. Their cheese trolley was worth it
alone.

Cheers
Ron Lel

jheffner

4 seasons is great, Le Cirque2000 Maloony&Porcelli Morrells downtown on 20th
or close by
Union Square is always great as is sister restaurant, Gramercy Tavern

All of these are great wine places also

Jeff

"estherhoward" > wrote in message
> Hey All
> We are from Montreal going to New York City for American Thanksgiving
> weekend. We are very into wines (my husband collects) and love fine food.
> While we are there do u guys have any suggestions for us as where to
> eat..Much appreciated
>

> Esther

bijoudog

I agree with many of the above, and can add Aureole to the list. Great food
and atmosphere, and you'll enjoy the electronic wine list.

"jheffner" > wrote in message
. net...
>4 seasons is great, Le Cirque2000 Maloony&Porcelli Morrells downtown on
>20th or close by
> Union Square is always great as is sister restaurant, Gramercy Tavern
>
> All of these are great wine places also
>
> Jeff
>

> "estherhoward" > wrote in message
>> Hey All
>> We are from Montreal going to New York City for American Thanksgiving
>> weekend. We are very into wines (my husband collects) and love fine food.
>> While we are there do u guys have any suggestions for us as where to
>> eat..Much appreciated
>>

>> Esther

Fred

The last time I went to NYC (2000) I stopped at Morell's Wine Bar. The list
was a mixture of gouges and bargains. A $50 wine was on their list for
$100, but a $250 bottle was there for $125. I would have gone back, but the
cigarette smoke was terrible. If I am going to spend that much for wine, I
would like to be able to taste it. That shouldn't be a problem now. I
forget the exact address, but it is near Rockefeller Plaza.

Fred.

jheffner

here is another one downtown, in the 20's and Bway a friend used to work
there

"Fred" > wrote in message
> The last time I went to NYC (2000) I stopped at Morell's Wine Bar. The
> list
> was a mixture of gouges and bargains. A $50 wine was on their list for
> $100, but a $250 bottle was there for $125. I would have gone back, but
> the
> cigarette smoke was terrible. If I am going to spend that much for wine, I
> would like to be able to taste it. That shouldn't be a problem now. I
> forget the exact address, but it is near Rockefeller Plaza.
>
> Fred.

Brenda Pesano

For what it's worth, smoking is now against the law in New York, and it's
strictly enforced. You should be able to revisit and enjoy without having
that problem again...

"Fred" > wrote in message
> The last time I went to NYC (2000) I stopped at Morell's Wine Bar. The
> list
> was a mixture of gouges and bargains. A $50 wine was on their list for
> $100, but a $250 bottle was there for $125. I would have gone back, but
> the
> cigarette smoke was terrible. If I am going to spend that much for wine, I
> would like to be able to taste it. That shouldn't be a problem now. I
> forget the exact address, but it is near Rockefeller Plaza.
>
> Fred.

winemonger

estherhoward > wrote in message >...
> Hey All
> We are from Montreal going to New York City for American Thanksgiving
> weekend. We are very into wines (my husband collects) and love fine food.
> While we are there do u guys have any suggestions for us as where to
> eat..Much appreciated
>

> Esther

It may not work for the Thanksgiving meal itself, but you should
consider having a meal at Wallse at some point during your weekend. I
just had an amazing dinner there last weekend.
And then my all time favorite NYC restaurant is Le Bernardin. Perhaps
they are serving a French, seafood version of Thanksgiving?

e.winemonger
www.winemonger.com