Wine (alt.food.wine) Devoted to the discussion of wine and wine-related topics. A place to read and comment about wines, wine and food matching, storage systems, wine paraphernalia, etc. In general, any topic related to wine is valid fodder for the group.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-08-2015, 10:04 PM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 140
Default TN: savigny les beaune

Haven't posted many notes lately, in spite of a plethora of great wines
this summer, and I keep thinking about it. But this time, right next to
the computer as in town for a few days, and for a going away dinner
opened this Arnoux Pere et Fils Savigny-Les-Beaune "Les Pimemtiers" 2011,
with roast poussin stuffed with wild rice and grapes.

A lovely mature dark fruit pinot nose upon opening, and initially quite
mature tasting before opening into fresh pinot cherry with layers of herb
and sous-bois. Clean and straight forward with decent length. Really an
enjoyable Arnoux and a great bargain for anyone who can find it, I think
we paid Mme around 12 EU for it. Will age but too enjoyable now to leave
hanging around.

-E

  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 27-08-2015, 06:00 PM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,930
Default TN: savigny les beaune

On Wednesday, August 26, 2015 at 5:04:41 PM UTC-4, Emery Davis wrote:
Haven't posted many notes lately, in spite of a plethora of great wines
this summer, and I keep thinking about it. But this time, right next to
the computer as in town for a few days, and for a going away dinner
opened this Arnoux Pere et Fils Savigny-Les-Beaune "Les Pimemtiers" 2011,
with roast poussin stuffed with wild rice and grapes.

A lovely mature dark fruit pinot nose upon opening, and initially quite
mature tasting before opening into fresh pinot cherry with layers of herb
and sous-bois. Clean and straight forward with decent length. Really an
enjoyable Arnoux and a great bargain for anyone who can find it, I think
we paid Mme around 12 EU for it. Will age but too enjoyable now to leave
hanging around.

-E


Thanks Emery! Always on the lookout for a quality bottle below $20 USD.
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 27-08-2015, 06:05 PM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,554
Default TN: savigny les beaune

On Thursday, August 27, 2015 at 1:00:45 PM UTC-4, Bi!! wrote:

Thanks Emery! Always on the lookout for a quality bottle below $20 USD.


Unfortunately, in US prices range from $27 for the 08 (PLCB) to 38 for other vintages.

But it does sound good
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 27-08-2015, 07:27 PM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,849
Default TN: savigny les beaune

On 8/26/15 5:04 PM, Emery Davis wrote:
Haven't posted many notes lately, in spite of a plethora of great wines
this summer, and I keep thinking about it. But this time, right next to
the computer as in town for a few days, and for a going away dinner
opened this Arnoux Pere et Fils Savigny-Les-Beaune "Les Pimemtiers" 2011,
with roast poussin stuffed with wild rice and grapes.

A lovely mature dark fruit pinot nose upon opening, and initially quite
mature tasting before opening into fresh pinot cherry with layers of herb
and sous-bois. Clean and straight forward with decent length. Really an
enjoyable Arnoux and a great bargain for anyone who can find it, I think
we paid Mme around 12 EU for it. Will age but too enjoyable now to leave
hanging around.


Thanks for the notes, Emery. I had no idea that Arnoux made a Savigny.
My go-to producers there are Pavelot, Rollin and Chandon de Briailles.
I love the wines of Ecard, but he retired.

Mark Lipton

--
alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.cwdjr.net
  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 27-08-2015, 08:06 PM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 140
Default TN: savigny les beaune

On Thu, 27 Aug 2015 10:05:49 -0700, DaleW wrote:

On Thursday, August 27, 2015 at 1:00:45 PM UTC-4, Bi!! wrote:

Thanks Emery! Always on the lookout for a quality bottle below $20
USD.


Unfortunately, in US prices range from $27 for the 08 (PLCB) to 38 for
other vintages.


Wow, that's too bad. Hard to justify paying near 40, but such is the
price of Bourgogne I guess.


  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 27-08-2015, 08:40 PM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,554
Default TN: savigny les beaune

On Thursday, August 27, 2015 at 2:27:17 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:

Thanks for the notes, Emery. I had no idea that Arnoux made a Savigny.
My go-to producers there are Pavelot, Rollin and Chandon de Briailles.
I love the wines of Ecard, but he retired.


Pretty close to my list - my recent Savigny buys are mostly Bize, Pavelot, Camus-Bruchon, and CdBriailles.
Love Rollin for Pernand and Haut Cotes de Beaune, but don't think I've tried the Savigny(s).
Pre-2004 Ecard was great. The Maurice Ecard label still exists, but since 2005 it's a corporate holding, and wasn't impressed. His son Michel makes wine, but I think doesn't have the sites that were backbone of his dad's wines.

  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 27-08-2015, 09:05 PM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,930
Default TN: savigny les beaune

On Thursday, August 27, 2015 at 3:40:48 PM UTC-4, DaleW wrote:
On Thursday, August 27, 2015 at 2:27:17 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:

Thanks for the notes, Emery. I had no idea that Arnoux made a Savigny.
My go-to producers there are Pavelot, Rollin and Chandon de Briailles.
I love the wines of Ecard, but he retired.


Pretty close to my list - my recent Savigny buys are mostly Bize, Pavelot, Camus-Bruchon, and CdBriailles.
Love Rollin for Pernand and Haut Cotes de Beaune, but don't think I've tried the Savigny(s).
Pre-2004 Ecard was great. The Maurice Ecard label still exists, but since 2005 it's a corporate holding, and wasn't impressed. His son Michel makes wine, but I think doesn't have the sites that were backbone of his dad's wines.


Have you tried Michel ***?
  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 31-08-2015, 07:08 PM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,554
Default TN: savigny les beaune

On Thursday, August 27, 2015 at 4:05:23 PM UTC-4, Bi!! wrote:
Have you tried Michel ***?


No, never seen one.
  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 01-09-2015, 02:11 PM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,930
Default TN: savigny les beaune

On Monday, August 31, 2015 at 2:08:42 PM UTC-4, DaleW wrote:
On Thursday, August 27, 2015 at 4:05:23 PM UTC-4, Bi!! wrote:
Have you tried Michel ***?


No, never seen one.


Small producer in Chorey Les Beaune. Pretty good for the price. The Savigny Vergleslesses 1er is about $50.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TN: '95 Hospices de Beaune Beaune DaleW Wine 0 03-08-2010 02:31 PM
WTN: 2 good wines- Rheingau and Savigny les Beaune DaleW Wine 0 15-02-2010 03:25 PM
TN: Sancerre and Savigny DaleW Wine 0 10-05-2009 06:53 PM
Evangile and a Savigny Markus Wine 4 03-11-2004 02:49 PM
TN: Simon Bize, Savigny-les-Beaune, 1999 Wine 0 23-02-2004 08:25 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017