Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: d'Esclans and Trimbach anniverary bottling

Monday was pasta with mozzarella and tomato, grilled okra, squash with za'tar. Wine was 2014 d'Esclans Whispering Angel rose. Fruity, moderate acids, ok but not worth searching for (apparently its cultish in the Hamptons). B

Tuesday we went to an early showing of "Mr Holmes" (I quite enjoyed), then to dinner at Bistro 12 in Tarrytown. Betsy had grilled octopus and veal with mushrooms, I had sardines on endive with onions and orange, followed by striped bass with capers (they were out of rabbit). I had brought wine, we went with the 2001 Trimbach "Cuvee Frederic Emile 375ere Anniversaire" Riesling. Just lovely, full bodied full throttled Riesling, singing acids. Nose of peach with ginger and a little petrol, on palate more ginger, apple, and citrus. Very long, very good with food. A-

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wednesday, August 19, 2015 at 5:58:05 PM UTC+2, DaleW wrote:
> Monday was pasta with mozzarella and tomato, grilled okra, squash with za'tar. Wine was 2014 d'Esclans Whispering Angel rose. Fruity, moderate acids, ok but not worth searching for (apparently its cultish in the Hamptons). B

Cultish because expensive mediocre rosé with good marketing. Not as good as what I buy for 5 Euro... ;-)

Mike
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thursday, August 20, 2015 at 5:56:46 AM UTC-4, Mike Tommasi wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 19, 2015 at 5:58:05 PM UTC+2, DaleW wrote:
> > Monday was pasta with mozzarella and tomato, grilled okra, squash with za'tar. Wine was 2014 d'Esclans Whispering Angel rose. Fruity, moderate acids, ok but not worth searching for (apparently its cultish in the Hamptons).. B

> Cultish because expensive mediocre rosé with good marketing. Not as good as what I buy for 5 Euro... ;-)
>
> Mike

Yes, rivals the Mirabel Jolie/Pitt wine for pink hype.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 8/25/15 10:50 AM, DaleW wrote:
> On Thursday, August 20, 2015 at 5:56:46 AM UTC-4, Mike Tommasi
> wrote:
>> On Wednesday, August 19, 2015 at 5:58:05 PM UTC+2, DaleW wrote:
>>> Monday was pasta with mozzarella and tomato, grilled okra, squash
>>> with za'tar. Wine was 2014 d'Esclans Whispering Angel rose.
>>> Fruity, moderate acids, ok but not worth searching for
>>> (apparently its cultish in the Hamptons). B

>> Cultish because expensive mediocre rosé with good marketing. Not as
>> good as what I buy for 5 Euro... ;-)
>>
>> Mike

> Yes, rivals the Mirabel Jolie/Pitt wine for pink hype.

Why? Is Sacha Lichine that much of a celebrity? When we were on
Nantucket a few weeks ago, we saw cases of Whispering Angel at various
bars and restaurants. What gives?

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tuesday, August 25, 2015 at 12:11:53 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:

> Why? Is Sacha Lichine that much of a celebrity? When we were on
> Nantucket a few weeks ago, we saw cases of Whispering Angel at various
> bars and restaurants. What gives?
>
> Mark Lipton

No, not a celebrity, but smart marketer. Came in, spent a lot of money on renovations, lots of press releases about former Mouton winemaker and desire to make "best" rose, and then priced small cuvees very high (more than Tempier).The Whispering Angel is the base cuvee. Plugged hard in luxury markets. It's the best rose like Ace of Spades is the best Champagne.

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW > wrote in
:

> No, not a celebrity, but smart marketer. Came in, spent a lot of money
> on renovations, lots of press releases about former Mouton winemaker
> and desire to make "best" rose, and then priced small cuvees very high
> (more than Tempier).The Whispering Angel is the base cuvee. Plugged
> hard in luxury markets. It's the best rose like Ace of Spades is the
> best Champagne.

Ah, "best". There is a period in the evolution of every winelover in which
we always look for the best. The best Bordeaux, the best Rioja, the best
Champagne.

Then, after many, many dissapointments, you realize that looking for the
best only makes a lot of wines to lose the competition which is not very
smart.

Then you start chasing the right moment to share the right bottle with the
right friends. And you start appreciating wine much more.

Enough phylosophical rant!

TN: ESJ, Haag, Trimbach, Pinon, more Emery Davis[_3_] Wine 2 11-12-2014 06:49 PM
2000 Trimbach Clos Ste. Hune Riesling Bi!! Wine 2 09-11-2012 03:36 PM
1996 Trimbach Riesling Clos St. Hune Bi!! Wine 2 02-01-2007 10:41 PM
Trimbach Pinot Gris lotusart Wine 2 24-07-2005 07:30 PM
TN Clos Ste. Hune Riesling 1976, Trimbach Cwdjrx _ Wine 12 24-07-2005 01:58 AM