Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Champagne,. Gruner, and more

Thursday was 2012 F.X. Pichler "Loibner Klostersatz" Gruner Veltliner Federspiel with
Danny Kaye chicken salad. Rich for Federspiel, dry peach and nectarine fruit,. a little green pea, nice wine but pricey at $38. B+/B

Ribeye with chimichurri, grilled potato salad, and okra/tomato/avocado salad, wine was the 1988 Spottswoode Cabernet Sauvignon. Good showing for a not well regarded vintage in Napa, plenty of rich black cherry fruit, cedar, some minty herb. Hold up well throughout evening. B+

Saturday we took the hound to visit canine and human friends over the hill, they greeted us with marinated mushrooms, ceviche, and olives, I had carried along the NV Pierre Gerbais "Cuvee de Reserve" Brut Champagne. Fine mousse, interesting nose of citrus zest and sourdough, on palate fairly full with apple and lemon, a little chalk on finish. First try of this producer, I like. B++

Ron cooked a air-cooled chicken on his rotisserie, then we passed it around with Nancy's moo shu pancakes and moo shu style cabbage, along with our caprese salad and a green salad.

2014 Arnot Roberts Rose
Fresh , light, tangy, good stuff though without the verve of last year's model. B/B+

2006 Mocali Brunello di Montacino
Rounder merlot-y styled Sangiovese, but not really overtly modern/oaky. Red fruit, round and plummy. B-

2012 Saget Petite Perrieres Sauvignon Blanc
Servicable, grassy, thin. C+

TN: Fleurie and Gruner DaleW Wine 2 01-09-2010 02:52 AM
TN: big Gruner DaleW Wine 1 13-02-2010 04:05 AM
Chablis and Gruner questions Joseph Coulter[_3_] Wine 5 26-01-2008 03:48 PM
TN: Great Gruner (plus others) DaleW Wine 4 14-08-2006 01:21 PM
TN: Gruner and Savennieres from so-so vintages Dale Williams Wine 8 06-01-2005 06:37 PM