Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Patio wines- ESJ, Giacosa (not nebb!), Bachelet, Mayacamas,Coudert, etc

Thursday we invited friends over. They brought appetizers (home smoked salmon, hummus, etc)
1997 Giacosa Extra Brut
Broad, dry, baked bread and apples. Still quite petillant, medium-bodied mousse, starts off citrusy but turns more nutty. Falls off a little at the end, probably drunk 5-8 years too late but overall quite interesting and I'm glad to have tried it. B-

We grilled some king salmon along with some leftover soba salad, and wines

1995 Edmunds St John "Durrell" Syrah
This was a bit of a strange showing for an old favorite. Initially a little lifted and even pruney, I wondered re storage (this was a recent addition).. Fairly muted, I was disappointed, then the last glass showed what I had been expecting all along- dark fruit, meat, coffee, full and even a little opulent. C+ suddenly became B+/A-

2013 Clos de La Roilette Fleurie
Really drinking well without the tightness of the tardive, sweet black cherry fruit accented with spice, herb, and mocha. Good length, very tasty. B++

2013 Olga Raffault Chinon rose
Strawberries, herb, a little earth. Good acids, straightforward and easy rose, B

Friday Betsy roasted a chicken on the grill, along with corn and some slaw
2014 Schloss Gobelsburg " Cistercien" rose
Light and lovely, strawberries and lemon zest, good acids, get more. B+

2003 Ch. D'Aiguilhe (375)
Roasted heading towards pruney, hot edge, tannic, not fun. C

Got some "Harry Corvair" beans (hey, that's what they said) and duck breast at farmer's market, Betsy made an old fave of duckgreen bean salad. Wine was the 2013 Lapierre Morgon (S)
Raspberries and cherries, a little herb, a little smoke. Bright, clean, taut. B+/A-

Sunday invited some friends over. As we toasted their expected first grandchld, we had the
NV Diebolt-Vallois Blanc de Blancs Champagne. Dry, crisp, but a little bitter on finish, I've usually liked this more. B-

First course was grilled baby octopus over mesclun
2011 Matrot Meursault-Blagny
Medium bodied, ripe fruit, good acids, sturdy. B

Then swordfish with a salad of corn and cape gooseberries
2005 Mayacamas Chardonnay
Crisp and appley, a little oak, great acids for CalChard, but a little hot on finish. B

2014 Bedrock Ode to Lulu rose
Fuller style, good acids, red fruited, long finish. B+

Monday we invited over a friend who was baching it, Betsy made tostada chilaquiles (tortillas, black beans, corn, queso fresco, salsa verde, etc) and a purslane salad with sauteed grapes, he brought along a spicy eggplant dish.

2014 Chidaine Sauvignon Blanc (Touraine)
Light, clean, not a lot of oomph there but refreshing clean white with just a hint of grass. B-/B

2002 Bachelet Bourgogne
Mature but not tired, lovely. Black cherry, spice, earth with just a hint of merde, just a hint of tannin, good acids. B++

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW > wrote in
:

> 2013 Clos de La Roilette Fleurie
> Really drinking well without the tightness of the tardive, sweet black
> cherry fruit accented with spice, herb, and mocha. Good length, very
> tasty. B++

Do you think it can improve with some further aging? or do I pop one cork
in one of mines?

According to CellarTracker, I have some bottles of Roilette:

2013 Coudert Fleurie Clos de la Roilette Gamay
2012 Coudert Fleurie Clos de la Roilette Cuvée Tardive Gamay
2013 Coudert Fleurie Clos de la Roilette Griffe du Marquis Gamay

TIA,

s.

Posted to alt.food.wine

santiago wrote:
> DaleW > wrote in
> :
>> 2013 Clos de La Roilette Fleurie
>> Really drinking well without the tightness of the tardive, sweet black
>> cherry fruit accented with spice, herb, and mocha. Good length, very
>> tasty. B++

> Do you think it can improve with some further aging? or do I pop one cork
> in one of mines?
>
> According to CellarTracker, I have some bottles of Roilette:
>
> 2013 Coudert Fleurie Clos de la Roilette Gamay
> 2012 Coudert Fleurie Clos de la Roilette Cuvée Tardive Gamay
> 2013 Coudert Fleurie Clos de la Roilette Griffe du Marquis Gamay

I'm not Dale, but...
I'd say that the Roilette normale can usually age 5-10 years in a decent
year and the Tardive positively requires aging to show well. I know
people who are drinking Tardives from the mid-to-late '90s with pleasure
right now. I don't have enough experience with te Griffe du Marquis to
make an intelligent guess about it, but I'd hazard that anything from
Alain Coudert will be able to go some years from bottling without any
problem.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton > wrote in
:

> I'm not Dale, but...

Thanks Mark, I did not pretend to exclude anyone, just asking Dale about
his opinion on the bottle he had drunk.

> I'd say that the Roilette normale can usually age 5-10 years in a
> decent year and the Tardive positively requires aging to show well.

That was my understanding, too.

> know people who are drinking Tardives from the mid-to-late '90s with
> pleasure right now.

I guess it also depends on how you like your wines too. I have met
winelovers who never find a wine mature enough. I tend to like my wines
aged but still with some fruit, and am not very kind on plums which for me
is a sign of oxidation (that I do not like). Morgon, I love it with 5
years. Sometimes it is great at age 10, but sometimes it is not. That said,
2009 are now age 6 and are drinking so well. Will share a double magnum of
Cote du Py 2009 with friends soon, for the sake of size.

I don't have enough experience with te Griffe du
> Marquis to make an intelligent guess about it, but I'd hazard that
> anything from Alain Coudert will be able to go some years from
> bottling without any problem.

Thanks Mark. What I meant with my question to Dale is if he thought I
should start drinking my 3 bottles now or the wine would be better next
year.

Best,

s.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wednesday, August 12, 2015 at 12:12:40 PM UTC-4, santiago wrote:

> Thanks Mark. What I meant with my question to Dale is if he thought I
> should start drinking my 3 bottles now or the wine would be better next
> year.
>
> Best,
>
> s.

As you note, it depends on taste. I like a bit of age on better Beaujolais, and think the good 05s are great now, I loved the '99 Tardive in 2010, etc.. I find that the Tardive is one Beaujolais I think can really shut down, but 2012 is a bit lighter vintage. So who knows!

I don't really have expeirence with the Griffe du Marquis, but a friend raved over the '12 recently. I have a bottle of the '11, but worry about being shut down-

Sorry not to be of help. I think if it was me I'd drink regular 13 over next few years, 13 Marquis and 12 Tardive after that. But that's just guessing

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 22:10:16 +0000, santiago wrote:

> DaleW > wrote in
> :
>>
>> 2013 Clos de La Roilette Fleurie Really drinking well without the
>> tightness of the tardive, sweet black cherry fruit accented with spice,
>> herb, and mocha. Good length, very tasty. B++

> Do you think it can improve with some further aging? or do I pop one
> cork in one of mines?

Hi Santiago,

As chance would have it we drank one of these 13s last week, with BBQ
steak and veg, both in a sweet soy marinade. Wine a bit chilled. I'm
with Dale it was a lovely bottle.

IMHO it will certainly hold but hard to see it getting better -- and I'm
a well known oenogerontophiliac...

Hope you're having a good summer and surviving the heat!

-E

--
Questions about wine? Check the FAQ. http://winefaq.cwdjr.net
Posted to alt.food.wine

Emery Davis` > wrote in news:d342a7Fde13U1
@mid.individual.net:

> Hi Santiago,
>
> As chance would have it we drank one of these 13s last week, with BBQ
> steak and veg, both in a sweet soy marinade. Wine a bit chilled. I'm
> with Dale it was a lovely bottle.

After reading Dale's message, I decided to pop one cork tonight. If it was
drinking well, I had to try it. Still 2 bottles to go, nevertheless.

Wine was very nice, a bit on the young side for me, but very appealing,
with sappy notes, beautiful aromatics with some pierre de fusil, red fruit,
good balance in mouth with no harsh tannins but some fruit based grip.
Delicious, I must concur. We saved a couple glasses for tomorrow, but it
was not easy because the wine drinks very well and very quickly. Mental
note to buy more Roilette in the future.

> IMHO it will certainly hold but hard to see it getting better -- and I'm
> a well known oenogerontophiliac...

À chacun...

> Hope you're having a good summer and surviving the heat!

Raining today in Northern Spain, you know, and 22ºC.

News is that I will be going to Paris in November. I rather go to Angers
but customer is always right and I am the fournisseur. Let's plan
something?

s.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 19:39:54 +0000, santiago wrote:

> was not easy because the wine drinks very well and very quickly. Mental
> note to buy more Roilette in the future.

yes indeed!

[]

> News is that I will be going to Paris in November. I rather go to Angers
> but customer is always right and I am the fournisseur. Let's plan
> something?

Sadly in all likelihood will not be the our apartment is let all fall
to help pay for University in US... Eldest moves to Boston in a few
weeks. You're welcome to come out to the farm if you can spare the time,
there will be lots of cepes around that time certainly.

-E

--
Questions about wine? Check the FAQ. http://winefaq.cwdjr.net
Posted to alt.food.wine

Emery Davis` > wrote in
:

> Sadly in all likelihood will not be the our apartment is let all
> fall to help pay for University in US... Eldest moves to Boston in
> a few weeks. You're welcome to come out to the farm if you can spare
> the time, there will be lots of cepes around that time certainly.

Too bad about that. Meeting friends is one of the best parts of travelling
for work purposes, but it will be unrealistic to go to Normandie when I am
just out of work at around 16:30 everyday with only 4 days trip and working
every day.

s.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 8/14/15 6:07 AM, Emery Davis` wrote:

> Sadly in all likelihood will not be the our apartment is let all fall
> to help pay for University in US... Eldest moves to Boston in a few
> weeks. You're welcome to come out to the farm if you can spare the time,
> there will be lots of cepes around that time certainly.

Congratulations, Emery! I hope that the college experience goes well.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Fri, 14 Aug 2015 09:49:34 -0400, Mark Lipton wrote:

> Congratulations, Emery! I hope that the college experience goes well.

Thanks Mark! We're very proud for sure!

cheers, -E

--
Questions about wine? Check the FAQ. http://winefaq.cwdjr.net
Posted to alt.food.wine

santiago > wrote in
:

> Wine was very nice, a bit on the young side for me, but very
> appealing, with sappy notes, beautiful aromatics with some pierre de
> fusil, red fruit, good balance in mouth with no harsh tannins but some
> fruit based grip. Delicious, I must concur. We saved a couple glasses
> for tomorrow, but it was not easy because the wine drinks very well
> and very quickly. Mental note to buy more Roilette in the future.

Chignard Fleurie "Cuvée Spéciale" 2013 was less to my liking. A bit tight,
maybe it is the "Cuvée Spéciale" that is supposed to be more structured,
but it is denser than the Coudert and not really as easy drinking. Reminds
me a bit of the wines of Burgaud in the structure and density.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Fri, 14 Aug 2015 13:28:47 +0000, santiago wrote:

> Too bad about that. Meeting friends is one of the best parts of
> travelling for work purposes, but it will be unrealistic to go to
> Normandie when I am just out of work at around 16:30 everyday with only
> 4 days trip and working every day.

Yes I understand. Email me anyway when you're heading up, there's a
chance I'll be coming in and we could meet.

--
Questions about wine? Check the FAQ. http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

TN: wines on patio and on a lawn- Fevre, Chidaine, et al DaleW Wine 3 26-08-2014 04:59 PM
[TN] Red wines in scorching weather (Coudert, Baudry) Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 1 12-07-2012 04:38 PM
TN: many wines, on patio and by river (Loire, Bojo, IT, Australia,Rhone, Burg) DaleW Wine 0 06-08-2009 02:47 PM
TN: '89 Mayacamas DaleW Wine 0 27-12-2008 04:57 PM
TN: Giacosa Arneis DaleW Wine 1 31-10-2006 04:33 PM