Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 2002 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill

Opened last night with grilled meats and veggies from the garden the 2002 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill was deep dark purple in color with no signs of aging. Nose was Creme de Cassis, vanilla, mint and wet gravel. Still fairly primary on the palate with black berries, cassis, graphite, espresso and black pepper spice. Still fairly tannic this one needs another 5-7 years. "B+"
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Friday, July 10, 2015 at 1:25:36 PM UTC-4, Bi!! wrote:
> Opened last night with grilled meats and veggies from the garden the 2002 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill was deep dark purple in color with no signs of aging. Nose was Creme de Cassis, vanilla, mint and wet gravel. Still fairly primary on the palate with black berries, cassis, graphite, espresso and black pepper spice. Still fairly tannic this one needs another 5-7 years.. "B+"

Do you have strong preferences between the Diamond Creek wines? I always seen to prefer Gravelly Meadows to Volcanic Hill and Red Rock (I've never had the 4th one, small production whose name I forget)
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Friday, July 10, 2015 at 4:34:37 PM UTC-4, DaleW wrote:
> On Friday, July 10, 2015 at 1:25:36 PM UTC-4, Bi!! wrote:
> > Opened last night with grilled meats and veggies from the garden the 2002 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill was deep dark purple in color with no signs of aging. Nose was Creme de Cassis, vanilla, mint and wet gravel. Still fairly primary on the palate with black berries, cassis, graphite, espresso and black pepper spice. Still fairly tannic this one needs another 5-7 years. "B+"

> Do you have strong preferences between the Diamond Creek wines? I always seen to prefer Gravelly Meadows to Volcanic Hill and Red Rock (I've never had the 4th one, small production whose name I forget)

I too prefer Gravelly Meadow. Your thinking of Lake. Lake is a very tiny parcel that usually gets blended into the other wines but in better years they bottle it on it's own. I really love the Lake vineyard stuff, it reminds me of Mouton.