Posted to alt.food.wine

Default WTN: Early July wines

Wednesday made some kohlrabi/apple slaw , gathered some smoked mackerel and cheese, and headed to meet friends at outdoor jazz concert.

2014 Collestefano Verdicchio di Matelica
I've done several notes on this, this is no different. As close to a "house wine" as I'll get. Bright acids, minerals and flowers. Crisp, steely. Great value. B++

2014 Durnberg Zweigelt rose
Red cherries and berries, citrus zest, medium bodied. B

Thursday I grilled pork chops & squash while Betsy made kale,wine was the 2013 Edmunds St John Bone-Jolly Gamay Noir. I told Betsy about the passing of long time online wine "friend" (a big fan of ESJ) and we raised a glass to him. And a nice glass it was- a prickly hint of spritz, black cherries and raspberries. herbs, good acids, fresh but with more weight than I expected. Get more. B++

Friday Betsy made mussels and clams with zucchini and pasta:

2012 Ca'Rugate "Monte Fiorentine" Soave .
The cooking wine, soft, nutty, easy. B-

2012 Rotie Cellars Northern White
100% Marsanne also opening in honor of BobH. . Sweet fruit (dry wine), citrus, melon, flowers. Big without being heavy, nice length. Bob would have liked! B+

Saturday July 4th looked iffy, but it eventually held, and a couple dozen people ended up in our backyard. We made mango salsa and guacamole then went to grill mode with ribs, clams with fried garlic, teriyaki salmon, hot dogs, and poat dot (Cambodian style corn). Others brought sausages, lamb chops, canapes, salads, and more

2014 Haut Bourg Grolleau rose
Light, dry, with a strange note on the nose that a friend calls "yeasty" but to me is more like hops. Don't really get that on palate, but there's really not a lot on the palate. C+

2014 Vissoux "Griottes" Beaujolais rose
Pale, crisp, minerally with snappy finish. B+

2014 Montaud (Cotes de Provence)
Lighter styled, red fruits, quiet and easy. B

1964 Bertelleti Spanna
A friend recently celebrated his 50th, after SIL's 50th I had no remaining '65s, but figured we could celebrate with a conception wine. Really brown and stanky when poured, both color and nose cleaned up quite a bit, best probably at about 5 hour mark, but there was definitely madeirazation. Ripe plum, brown sugar, tar, with overlay of oxidative notes (some others liked more). C+/B-

1998 Ch. de Fieuzal (Pesac-Leognan)
Middleweight, dark fruits with cedar and cocoa, moderate finish. B

1974 Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon
This was the regular Napa bottling, fill I'd call high shoulder, Red fruits, cedar, a bit of earth and herb. Mature but not tired, fun. B+

2013 Lapierre Morgon
Fun, fresh, and slurpable. Spicy red fruits. Went fast. B+

1989 Mabilliere Vouvray Demi-Sec
Honied apple, spice and wool, pretty good length, holds up well overnight. B+/B

2013 Pepiere "Briords" Muscadet
Fine, saline, fun, these could age but I'm drinking so I keep my hands off the 2012s. B+/A-

Sunday friends asked us to pick up their CSA share when we got hours, as they were coming by to pick up we decided to ask them to dinner. A great night on patio with friends we don't spend enough time with.

With olives, chicken liver canapes, and a nice shrimp dish they brought:

Jacquesson "Cuvee 736" Champagne.
Very bright, very dry, fine mousse, full-bodied, with white fruits, citrus, and toast. A-/B+

Dinner was flank steak (garlic and sichuan pepper), penne with a shiso/garlic scape pesto, and salad

2004 Marcarini "La Serra" Barolo
Decanted about 2 hours before dinner. Some apparent tannins, but they're more supple than gritty. Red and black cherries, lots of floral/rose notes, a little tar, a little olive. Good length, needs time but pretty good with steak now. B+/A-

2013 Trecciano Chianti Colli Senesi
Soft and quite grapey, moderate acids, seems a touch sweet and short. C+/B-

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 3:11:29 PM UTC-4, DaleW wrote:
> [...]
> Very bright, very dry, fine mousse, full-bodied, with white fruits, citrus, and toast. A-/B+
>
> Dinner was flank steak (garlic and sichuan pepper), penne with a shiso/garlic scape pesto, and salad
>
> 2004 Marcarini "La Serra" Barolo
> Decanted about 2 hours before dinner. Some apparent tannins, but they're more supple than gritty. Red and black cherries, lots of floral/rose notes, a little tar, a little olive. Good length, needs time but pretty good with steak now. B+/A-
>
> 2013 Trecciano Chianti Colli Senesi
> Soft and quite grapey, moderate acids, seems a touch sweet and short. C+/B-
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Thanks for the notes. I was underwhelmed by my last bottle of 2004 Marcarini La Serra. Perhaps it just needs more time.

TN: Bastille Day wines, a little early DaleW Wine 2 13-07-2008 11:48 PM
WTN: 4th of July wines DaleW Wine 2 06-07-2008 08:22 PM
TN 4th of July wines DALE WILLIAMS Wine 3 07-07-2007 03:23 AM
4th of July wines Lawrence Leichtman[_1_] Wine 0 05-07-2007 08:28 PM
Is it too early to discuss (USA) Thanksgiving wines? Dick R. Wine 29 05-10-2006 01:07 PM