FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: 3 inexpensive Italians at a surprise party, plus Nahe Kab (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/433962-tn-3-inexpensive-italians.html)

DaleW 01-07-2015 10:33 PM

TN: 3 inexpensive Italians at a surprise party, plus Nahe Kab

A friend had his 50th last week, and as he had said "no party" they celebrated quietly. But Tracy was plotting. So last night they went to dinner with another couple at Mima's, a nice restaurant in neighboring Irvington. Soon after another group of 4 arrived, were surprised to see their friends, were seated at another table in front room. And then another group.....By the 4th group Rob caught on, and the rest of us arrived (she had reserved entire front room). They brought out a nice assortment of antipasti and salumi, and once people started sitting down started bringing our family style portions of fritto misto (calamari, shrimp, & chickpeas with fennel salt), eggplant rollatini, meatballs, gnocchi with favas and asparagus, etc. I sampled all 3 of the wines on offer:

2012 Colle Massari Montecucco Rosso
Ripe, a bit coarse, red fruit (I think Montetucco is Sangiovese?), leather. A little short. B-

2012 San Pietro Pinot Nero
Light, floral, crisp red berry fruit, more Schiava than PN but pretty tasty B/B+

2013 Oggi Pinot Grigio (Veneto)
Light, but good crispness, went well with the fritto misto. B/B-

Last night we went retro, Betsy made a recipe for chop suey from Mark Bittman in the NYT. With fresh pac choi is was actually delicious, and Betsy's side of fried rice with pancetta and fresh peas was even better. Wine was the 2011 Schafer-Frohlich Bockenaur Riesling Kabinett. Moderate sweetness, moderate acids, but really not showing much right now, quite tight. For current consumption B-

Bi!! 09-07-2015 03:25 PM

On Wednesday, July 1, 2015 at 5:33:39 PM UTC-4, DaleW wrote:
> A friend had his 50th last week, and as he had said "no party" they celebrated quietly. But Tracy was plotting. So last night they went to dinner with another couple at Mima's, a nice restaurant in neighboring Irvington. Soon after another group of 4 arrived, were surprised to see their friends, were seated at another table in front room. And then another group.....By the 4th group Rob caught on, and the rest of us arrived (she had reserved entire front room). They brought out a nice assortment of antipasti and salumi, and once people started sitting down started bringing our family style portions of fritto misto (calamari, shrimp, & chickpeas with fennel salt), eggplant rollatini, meatballs, gnocchi with favas and asparagus, etc. I sampled all 3 of the wines on offer:
>
> 2012 Colle Massari Montecucco Rosso
> Ripe, a bit coarse, red fruit (I think Montetucco is Sangiovese?), leather. A little short. B-
>
> 2012 San Pietro Pinot Nero
> Light, floral, crisp red berry fruit, more Schiava than PN but pretty tasty B/B+
>
> 2013 Oggi Pinot Grigio (Veneto)
> Light, but good crispness, went well with the fritto misto. B/B-
>
> Last night we went retro, Betsy made a recipe for chop suey from Mark Bittman in the NYT. With fresh pac choi is was actually delicious, and Betsy's side of fried rice with pancetta and fresh peas was even better. Wine was the 2011 Schafer-Frohlich Bockenaur Riesling Kabinett. Moderate sweetness, moderate acids, but really not showing much right now, quite tight. For current consumption B-
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

I wish I could get my wife to drink German/Austrian wines. She won't drink anything with even a hint of sweetness. Sigh.

Mark Lipton[_1_] 09-07-2015 05:12 PM

On 7/9/15 10:25 AM, Bi!! wrote:

> I wish I could get my wife to drink German/Austrian wines. She won't
> drink anything with even a hint of sweetness. Sigh.

I have much the same problem, Bill. I can get Jean to occasionally
drink a dry Riesling, but it takes some work. I recently opened an
off-dry Riesling Kabinett with BBQ ribs and she did see some merit in
the pairing, but couldn't drink the wine on its own.

Mark Lipton

Bi!! 09-07-2015 06:47 PM

On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 12:12:20 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 7/9/15 10:25 AM, Bi!! wrote:
>
> > I wish I could get my wife to drink German/Austrian wines. She won't
> > drink anything with even a hint of sweetness. Sigh.
> >

> I have much the same problem, Bill. I can get Jean to occasionally
> drink a dry Riesling, but it takes some work. I recently opened an
> off-dry Riesling Kabinett with BBQ ribs and she did see some merit in
> the pairing, but couldn't drink the wine on its own.
>
> Mark Lipton
>

> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Same here Mark. I can get her to drink the occasional Alsatian with certain foods...her her acorn and roasted poblano bisque for example, but it's impossible to budge her on anything remotely sweet. I tend to have to wait until I'm with a group to pop a bottle of good off dry Kabinett.

Mark Lipton[_1_] 09-07-2015 07:19 PM

On 7/9/15 1:47 PM, Bi!! wrote:

> Same here Mark. I can get her to drink the occasional Alsatian with
> certain foods...her her acorn and roasted poblano bisque for example,
> but it's impossible to budge her on anything remotely sweet. I tend
> to have to wait until I'm with a group to pop a bottle of good off
> dry Kabinett.

Maybe we should start an Riesling Drinkers' Anonymous group? Chapter
meetings could be quite fun :P

Mark Lipton

Bi!! 09-07-2015 09:03 PM

On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 2:19:26 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 7/9/15 1:47 PM, Bi!! wrote:
>
> > Same here Mark. I can get her to drink the occasional Alsatian with
> > certain foods...her her acorn and roasted poblano bisque for example,
> > but it's impossible to budge her on anything remotely sweet. I tend
> > to have to wait until I'm with a group to pop a bottle of good off
> > dry Kabinett.
> >

> Maybe we should start an Riesling Drinkers' Anonymous group? Chapter
> meetings could be quite fun :P
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

I will often bring Riesling to my monthly wine group lunch and im always surprised at the number of folks that say they don't like it....until I pop one and they taste it. I think they think it all tastes like Blue Nun.

st.helier[_1_] 10-07-2015 10:38 AM

3 inexpensive Italians at a surprise party, plus Nahe Kab

Count me in !!!!!!!!!!!!

DaleW 10-07-2015 09:35 PM

On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 1:47:39 PM UTC-4, Bi!! wrote:
> On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 12:12:20 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
> > On 7/9/15 10:25 AM, Bi!! wrote:
> >
> > > I wish I could get my wife to drink German/Austrian wines. She won't
> > > drink anything with even a hint of sweetness. Sigh.
> > >

> > I have much the same problem, Bill. I can get Jean to occasionally
> > drink a dry Riesling, but it takes some work. I recently opened an
> > off-dry Riesling Kabinett with BBQ ribs and she did see some merit in
> > the pairing, but couldn't drink the wine on its own.
> >
> > Mark Lipton
> >

> > --
> > alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

> Same here Mark. I can get her to drink the occasional Alsatian with certain foods...her her acorn and roasted poblano bisque for example, but it's impossible to budge her on anything remotely sweet. I tend to have to wait until I'm with a group to pop a bottle of good off dry Kabinett.

I count myself lucky, Kabinett/Spatlese level Rieslings are among Betsy's favorites.