Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Burgenland, Napa Cab, Corbieres,Argentina Cab

2009 Weingut Rosenhof Pinot Noir ****+

Wow this was surprising. Reminds me of a mixture of Cornu et fils Ladoix Les Carriers 2010 and Drouhin Chorey les Beaune 2009 that I had a few weeks ago, only it is half the price. next time I feel for old world pinot I'll be getting this. Smooth, creamy toffee, stewed red berries, barnyard, forest floor, mushroom, earth, bit of tannin on the finish to make it real wine, lingering finish. My other favourite Austrian is also from burgenland (a Zweigelt Barrique), so I guess thats my favorite region in Austria. A real gem at 22E, while the Cornu Ladoix was 40E.

2010 Conn Creek Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley ****

Really good specimen of napa cab at a low price tag (by danish standards. I noted the list price at the winery, which is above beringers midrange - so in CA it is not priced well).
I like this more than beringer napa valley cab, but less than beringers knights valley and it is well below the prices of those (less than half of the Napa Valley cab). Actually it is around the price of Raymond Napa cab, and it is slightly better.
My parents noted "wow, how can cabernet sauvignon taste this good, it is usually junk". Probably they only had the type from leftover grapes, overextracted and adjusted with added sugar. Their eyes widened when they heard the price (20E).

2012 Chteau de Caraguilhes Corbières Prestige **(*)

At first impression it is a good wine, dark fruits, a bit mineral and earthy, but in the back taste it feels like sugarwater, and thats saying a lot from a new world wine lover. disappointing at 22E.

2013 Trivento Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve **

Not the worst of its kind. adequate for cooking. At first it did surprise with some real wine sensations, but in the end it tasted like diluted wine with added sugar. Good thing its only 10E. (the type that my parents are used to)