Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Burgundy tasting

Had the burgundy tasting with 8 people present:

Georges Deboeuf Fleurie **

Not offensive. red fruit, bit floral , bitter finish

Domaine des Rosiers, Moulin a vent 2012 (also G. Deboeuf) **

Sweeter red fruits, some dust, decent but boring

Drouhin Moulin a vent, beaujolais 2013 ***

Beef stew, with carrots, parsley, smooth dark fruits, seems a bit added sugar. nice tannins on the finish

Dom. Chambris bourgogne cuvee hautes cotes de nuits 2013 *

Very light, dishwasher liquid. Sour. to toss.

Drouhin Laforet 2013 ***

Stewed red fruits. powerful compared to the above. Some forest floor. dry finish.

Cornu and fils bourgogne 2012 ****-

Everyone were raving about this one. In Denmark the top 10 of best buys in the price range. Guess that guy was right. Oohla la. amazing scent. cant stop sniffing it, makes me happy. Seems like california pinot noir. more oak, more power. everyone was puzzled this was from burgundy. most people deemed this WOTN. and it is mid price, so they are lucky.

Drouhin Chorey les beaune 2009 ****

This is better. less powerful, but "Wider" in taste. Also the oldest of the lot.
Very unique scent. Toffee, barnyard, broth, smooth yet tannic finish,good buy at the price, dark forest, mushrooms, earth. I think the extra age is working for it here.

Cornu and fils Ladoix vielles vignes 2012 ****(*)

I had this a noth ago and it is still really good. a mix of the last two, Chorey and Cornu bourgogne. the power of the latter and complexity of the Chorey, less oak. mor egrainy tannins. Love it.

Cornu and fils Ladoix Les Carriers 2010 ****(*)

Toffe and chickenshit. More likethe chorey, dark compote fruits, barnyard. nice finish. Im really starting to like this producer. starting to see the benefit of some aging on this . the 2009 and 2010 are really delicious.

Cornu and fils Ladoix 1er cru La Corvee 2012 ****(*)

Dark fruits, resin, toffee, rougher tannins, leather, I like it. but the price step up is a bit steeper. so maybe Les Carriers is best to get and try to save 3 years.

Jérôme Chezeaux Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Rue de Chaux 2010 ***

Very disappointing. Its really strange. dog pee in rainy grass. sodapop feeling, bright fruits, burning the tongue. bit of leather. Was hoping for a rival for Marimar Christina (my fav. pinot), but no luck tonight.

Looking at the mean scores for all wines of 7 people ( one didnt leave the scores):

69 Georges Deboeuf Fleurie
68 Domaine des Rosiers, Moulin a vent 2012 (also G. Deboeuf)
73 Drouhin Moulin a vent, beaujolais 2013
68 Dom. Chambris bourgogne cuvee hautes cotes de nuits 2013
70 Drouhin Laforet 2013
87 Cornu and fils bourgogne 2012
82 Drouhin Chorey les beaune 2009
85 Cornu and fils Ladoix vielles vignes 2012
80 Cornu and fils Ladoix Les Carriers 2010
79 Cornu and fils Ladoix 1er cru La Corvee 2012
79 Jérôme Chezeaux Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Rue de Chaux 2010

So it seems cornu et fils are really working for the danish taste. but it is funny how the more you step up in single field and 1er cru (and price), the less people like it, in average. These number do not show the standard deviation, but from the Drouhin Chorey and up the waters really split. A lot of variaiton in the grades.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Friday, June 5, 2015 at 5:01:24 PM UTC-6, Michael Nielsen wrote:
> [...]
>

> 69 Georges Deboeuf Fleurie
> 68 Domaine des Rosiers, Moulin a vent 2012 (also G. Deboeuf)
> 73 Drouhin Moulin a vent, beaujolais 2013
> 68 Dom. Chambris bourgogne cuvee hautes cotes de nuits 2013
> 70 Drouhin Laforet 2013
> 87 Cornu and fils bourgogne 2012
> 82 Drouhin Chorey les beaune 2009
> 85 Cornu and fils Ladoix vielles vignes 2012
> 80 Cornu and fils Ladoix Les Carriers 2010
> 79 Cornu and fils Ladoix 1er cru La Corvee 2012
> 79 Jérôme Chezeaux Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Rue de Chaux 2010
>
> So it seems cornu et fils are really working for the danish taste. but it is funny how the more you step up in single field and 1er cru (and price), the less people like it, in average. These number do not show the standard deviation, but from the Drouhin Chorey and up the waters really split. A lot of variaiton in the grades.

Wow, really bad numbers, only the Cornu would be considered a buy and most of what you describe would be vinegar crock.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Saturday, June 6, 2015 at 11:47:11 PM UTC+2, lleichtman wrote:

> Wow, really bad numbers, only the Cornu would be considered a buy and most of what you describe would be vinegar crock.

the point scale was mapped to the 5 stars like this:

50-59: * (wont drink)
60-69: ** (drinkable but not buying or serving)
70-79: *** (good)
80-89: **** (very good, some complexities arise)
90-99: ***** (exceptional, complex wine)

I noted that some scale explanations moves the limits +/- 5 from this simple mapping. But most the averages are in the 70s and up which means they think it was "Good". They are not used to grading so it seemed hard for some of them to distinguish in the grades. one guy gave *** to all of them. I also noted they adjusted the scores down when I told the price. They were not supposed to do that.
I gave grades from 65 to 92 (the 3 Ladoix got 91, 92, 92, so a "small 5 star").

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Saturday, June 6, 2015 at 11:47:11 PM UTC+2, lleichtman wrote:

> > 69 Georges Deboeuf Fleurie
> > 68 Domaine des Rosiers, Moulin a vent 2012 (also G. Deboeuf)
> > 73 Drouhin Moulin a vent, beaujolais 2013
> > 68 Dom. Chambris bourgogne cuvee hautes cotes de nuits 2013
> > 70 Drouhin Laforet 2013
> > 87 Cornu and fils bourgogne 2012
> > 82 Drouhin Chorey les beaune 2009
> > 85 Cornu and fils Ladoix vielles vignes 2012
> > 80 Cornu and fils Ladoix Les Carriers 2010
> > 79 Cornu and fils Ladoix 1er cru La Corvee 2012
> > 79 Jérôme Chezeaux Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Rue de Chaux 2010

Considering that individual person's scores cannot be directly compared I used the rank function on the scores, and computed the mean ranks and ranked those again to get collective rank where higher numbers = better:

4 GD Fleurie, 8E
1 GD Moulin, 12E
5 JD Moulin, 22E
2 Cheapo supermarket bourgogne, 11E
2 JD Laforet, 20E
11 Cornu Bourg, 22E
9 Chorey Beaune, 29E
10 Ladoix vielles vignes, 36E
8 Ladoix 2, 40E
7 Ladoix 1er cru, 50E
6 Jerome 1er cru, 66E

The result is the same: Drohins beajolais is preferred, and the oaky Cornu the cheapest Ladoix and Drouhins Chorey des beaune are top picks.

And these three are above the "trendline" in rank versus price:

http://i59.tinypic.com/2py6at0.jpg

The trendline is similar for the new world tasting:

http://i61.tinypic.com/2drhvmv.jpg

Posted to alt.food.wine

My own trendline:

http://i57.tinypic.com/28hpds1.jpg