Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Excellent Saar and Dry Creek Valley, plus other wines

Wed I had a turkey burger with leftover wines opened on Memorial Day (an Ameztoi rosado won the "best on day 3 " prize.

Thursday I was moving some wines that weren't opened back to cellar. Wait, don't recognize this one, someone must have brought Monday. Hmmmm. Argentine Chardonnay. If I take this downstairs what chance that I'll ever bring it back up? Maybe I should just open, then use for cooking if as expected. Hey, it's a 6 years old. Look, it's kosher (I'm guessing this is a bottle that was transported for years from seder to seder). Gee, it's got a plastic cork. The 2009 Don Guillermo do Mendoza Chardonnay is short, oxidized, and nasty. DNPIM.

Meanwhile I grilled some sausages and king trumpet mushrooms (white balsamic and rosemary) and opened the 2012 Zilliken Saarburger Rausch Spatlese #3. Ah, this is better. Lovely young bottle of Spatlese (that doesn't taste like Auslese). Zippy acids, bright and precise. Sweet white fruits accented with lime zest, long flinty finish. This will age but I'll have trouble resisting. A-

Friday friends invited the hound and I to dinner. House-smoked salmon, rotisserie chicken, and assorted vegetables.

NV Roederer Estate Brut
I don't drink much domestic bubbly, but this is quite nice. Snappy green apple fruit, bright, just a touch of yeast. B

2004 Patz and Hall "Hyde" Chardonnay
Very good acids for CalChard, some wood, pit fruits and apple. More oak than my ideal, but enjoyable. Much better than a 2004 Paul Hobbs from same auction lot. B

2010 La Colombina Di Caselli Anna Maria Brunello di Montalcino
Bigger style, a bit tannic, some good black cherry fruit, give it some time.. B

Saturday tuna steaks, squash, and the 2014 Arnot-Roberts Rose. Pale, crisp, melon and cherry fruit. Pretty good but thought lacking the minerality of last years. B/B+

Sunday cinnamon beef stew from the freezer, with the 2013 Edmunds St John Rocks and Gravel. Really enjoyed this, redder fruits with underbrush and rocks. Good acids, smooth mouthfeel, great finish, order more. B+/A-

Last night mushroom/potato dumplings and dal (yes, aware a strange combo). Some leftover ESJ plus a half bottle of 2013 Barat Chablis. Acids are a little screechy, midbodied, decent finish. B/B-

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tuesday, June 2, 2015 at 7:44:14 AM UTC-6, DaleW wrote:
> Wed I had a turkey burger with leftover wines opened on Memorial Day (an Ameztoi rosado won the "best on day 3 " prize.
>
> Thursday I was moving some wines that weren't opened back to cellar. Wait, don't recognize this one, someone must have brought Monday. Hmmmm. Argentine Chardonnay. If I take this downstairs what chance that I'll ever bring it back up? Maybe I should just open, then use for cooking if as expected. Hey, it's a 6 years old. Look, it's kosher (I'm guessing this is a bottle that was transported for years from seder to seder). Gee, it's got a plastic cork. The 2009 Don Guillermo do Mendoza Chardonnay is short, oxidized, and nasty. DNPIM.
>
> Meanwhile I grilled some sausages and king trumpet mushrooms (white balsamic and rosemary) and opened the 2012 Zilliken Saarburger Rausch Spatlese #3. Ah, this is better. Lovely young bottle of Spatlese (that doesn't taste like Auslese). Zippy acids, bright and precise. Sweet white fruits accented with lime zest, long flinty finish. This will age but I'll have trouble resisting. A-
>
> Friday friends invited the hound and I to dinner. House-smoked salmon, rotisserie chicken, and assorted vegetables.
>
> NV Roederer Estate Brut
> I don't drink much domestic bubbly, but this is quite nice. Snappy green apple fruit, bright, just a touch of yeast. B
>
> 2004 Patz and Hall "Hyde" Chardonnay
> Very good acids for CalChard, some wood, pit fruits and apple. More oak than my ideal, but enjoyable. Much better than a 2004 Paul Hobbs from same auction lot. B
>
> 2010 La Colombina Di Caselli Anna Maria Brunello di Montalcino
> Bigger style, a bit tannic, some good black cherry fruit, give it some time. B
>
> Saturday tuna steaks, squash, and the 2014 Arnot-Roberts Rose. Pale, crisp, melon and cherry fruit. Pretty good but thought lacking the minerality of last years. B/B+
>
> Sunday cinnamon beef stew from the freezer, with the 2013 Edmunds St John Rocks and Gravel. Really enjoyed this, redder fruits with underbrush and rocks. Good acids, smooth mouthfeel, great finish, order more. B+/A-
>
> Last night mushroom/potato dumplings and dal (yes, aware a strange combo).. Some leftover ESJ plus a half bottle of 2013 Barat Chablis. Acids are a little screechy, midbodied, decent finish. B/B-
>

> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Again with you on your review of Arnot-Roberts Rosé. I usually buy a case of this a year but after tasting a trial bottle decided not to. Couldn't put my finger on what I didn't like but the Rosé field is now so large, I don't need to buy meh bottles.