Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 2 Loires + Jura, Tuscany, Napa

A friend coming back from RI wanted us to join them for seafood, we headed over the hill Sunday night. I brought along NV Tissot Cremant de Jura Extra Brut. Crisp, a touch austere at first, fills out with air and warming just a tad. Citrus and apple, just a hint of oxidative notes. very good. B/B+

With Rhode Island littlenecks off the grill, the 2013 Pepiere "Briords" Muscadet. Maybe not the structured stunner of the 2012, but even easier to drink right now. Citrus and saline, defined, lipsmacking. B+/A-

Main course was grilled tuna (ginger marinade) was asparagus and a Chayote slaw with Guajillo dressing I had made from a Bayless book I found (literally) that AM. A couple wines

2011 Barbi Rosso di Montalcino
Lighter style of Sangiovese, bright raspberry and cherry fruit, a little floral edge. Not complex but tasty and well priced. B

2012 Bardin Sancerre
I didn't really care for this, rather grassy with some catpee, a little peppery note would have had me guessing NZ SB if blind. C+/B-

Monday I made a mushroom/spinach/feta pizza and "Venetian cauliflower", but skipped wine as I was driving to city to meet a Hunter College group. Tuesday I made flank steak in a ancho chile rub, with grilled squash with Za'tar and leftover lentils and cauliflower. Wine was the 2004 Chappelet Mountain Cuvee (Napa). The good news is this wasn't showing hot despite 14.5 degrees. Bad news was while it has dropped some tannin it basically showed no development. Some vanilla, quite sweet plum and cassis fruit, fruity but a bit dull. B-

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wednesday, April 22, 2015 at 11:24:35 AM UTC-6, DaleW wrote:
> A friend coming back from RI wanted us to join them for seafood, we headed over the hill Sunday night. I brought along NV Tissot Cremant de Jura Extra Brut. Crisp, a touch austere at first, fills out with air and warming just a tad. Citrus and apple, just a hint of oxidative notes. very good. B/B+
>
> With Rhode Island littlenecks off the grill, the 2013 Pepiere "Briords" Muscadet. Maybe not the structured stunner of the 2012, but even easier to drink right now. Citrus and saline, defined, lipsmacking. B+/A-
>
> Main course was grilled tuna (ginger marinade) was asparagus and a Chayote slaw with Guajillo dressing I had made from a Bayless book I found (literally) that AM. A couple wines
>
> 2011 Barbi Rosso di Montalcino
> Lighter style of Sangiovese, bright raspberry and cherry fruit, a little floral edge. Not complex but tasty and well priced. B
>
> 2012 Bardin Sancerre
> I didn't really care for this, rather grassy with some catpee, a little peppery note would have had me guessing NZ SB if blind. C+/B-
>
> Monday I made a mushroom/spinach/feta pizza and "Venetian cauliflower", but skipped wine as I was driving to city to meet a Hunter College group. Tuesday I made flank steak in a ancho chile rub, with grilled squash with Za'tar and leftover lentils and cauliflower. Wine was the 2004 Chappelet Mountain Cuvee (Napa). The good news is this wasn't showing hot despite 14.5 degrees. Bad news was while it has dropped some tannin it basically showed no development. Some vanilla, quite sweet plum and cassis fruit, fruity but a bit dull. B-
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

I find Chappelet the way describe commonly which is why I no longer by it. 2004 wasn't a great year either.