Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Gaggle of Gouges, plus LMHB, Rioja, Krug, Lafouge

Friday David drove over from Berkeley and we went with him and his girlfriend to a Japanese restaurant in Sacramento. I had some nigiri and tonkatsu, with the former I had a glass of (vintage unknown) Murphy-Goode Sauvignon Blanc. A bit dilute, but clean and innocuous, served it's purpose. B-/C+

Saturday we flew back via LAX. Landed at JFK on time, but over 2 hours on tarmac. Then 1.5 hours till luggage came out (but not ours- still waiting, it's been to Newark and Atlanta since!). Wee hours drive home in the snow, could have used a drink but too late/tired. Sunday night roast chicken, roast veggies, and quinoa. Wine was the 2011 Lafouge "les Duresses"- Auxey-Duresses. Fresh, black cherry and raspberry, smoke. Well-balanced, could use time but tasty now. B+

Monday headed up to Pound Ridge for a Gouges tasting. Dan had a nice spread of munchies, and someone brought a bottle of MV Krug that he estimated he'd cellared for 5 years or so (it predated lot codes). Broad, yeasty, in a good place, most loved but I'm not as much a Krug lover as others, for me a B/B+

To table for the Gouges and a few others:

2010 Gouges "Chenes Carteaux" Nuits St. Georges
I've never heard of this vineyard before. Cherry, herby (Dan says stemmy), a coffee/mocha note. Very young, B+

2005 Gouges Nuits St. Georges
This was very tight when I double-decanted at home. By service fruit was out there, earthy, deep, even the village wine needs quite a bit more time. B+

2006 Gouges Nuits St. Georges
On the other hand, this seemed more open at decanting, but had gone into a shell by service. Coaxed it back out, quite ripe, quite tannic, more black fruited. B

2006 Gouges "Clos Des Porrets" Nuits St. Georges
I had thought this slightly bretty when decanted, but maybe just a bit reduced, didn't get that on service. Pomegranate, cocoa, blanck cherries. Full, long, structured with nice interplay between the acids and tannins. B+

2004 Gouges "Clos Des Porrets" Nuits St. Georges
I thought I got some piney "greenie meanies" on initial pour, but seemed to blow off- it was just on initial nose, never on palate.Red fruits, a bit sharp. B/B-

2010 Gouges "Vaucrains" Nuits St. Georges
Group preferred LSG, I was lone holdout for Vaucrains. Black fruits, light animal notes, sweet fruit but balanced by supple tannins and bright acids. Gets floral and comple, very complete wine with long future. As good a young Burg as I've had in a coon's age. A-/A

2010 Gouges "Les St. Georges" Nuits St. Georges
JUst 'cause I preferred the Vaucrains didn't mean I didn't love this! Exotic nose of sandalwood, smoke and spice, black cherry and coffee on palate. Bright, long, complex. A-

2007 Gouges "Vaucrains" Nuits St. Georges
Red fruits, herb, mushroom/earth. Seems slightly less precise than other young wines, a bit muted, some say muddled because sediment shaken. I still liked. B/B+

A break while Dan dished up a beef daube, orzo/mushroom/cheese casserole, and green beans.

2000 Gouges "Les St. Georges" Nuits St. Georges
Shockingly young for a 2000. Lovely, full, fresh acids, good length. Beautiful with both elegance and strength. A-

1999 Meo-Camuzet "Murgers" Nuits St. Georges
Corked!

1993 Gouges "Clos Des Porrets" Nuits St. Georges
Cork was slightly depressed, but no signs of seepage. Red fruits, acids, flowers., But there's just a hint of pruniness that makes me wonder if it's seen warmth (I had another better bottle a few years ago, unsure if same source). B-/C+

1993 Gouges "Les Pruliers" Nuits St. Georges
Tight at first, opens nicely, red fruit and flowers. B+

1983 Gouges " Les Chaignots" Nuits St. Georges
Smoke, mushrooms, tangy acids, cranberry anf cherry fruit, I liked more than many. B+/A-

Overall a really nice showing.
As it's Dan's house, no way we escape without some blind wines

First pair we flailed on, though Scott said "these could be Spanish" quite early (but proceeded along a different path). Once Rioja established Sasha got wines and vintages quickly.

1970 CVNE "Vina Real" Rioja Gran Reserva
Tangy, full, red fruit, flowers. B+

1970 Lopez de Heredia "Tondonia" Rioja Gran Reserva
Red fruit, animal/barnyard, citrus zest, nice length, lovely, A-

One more wine. I redeemed myself by getting Graves quickly, but blew it with a guess of ripe vintage older Pape-Clement.
1971 La Mission Haut Brion (magnum)
Tobacco, cigarbox, black fruit, more tobacco. Elegant, with lots to give. A-

Fun night, fun people.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 24/02/2015 12:14 PM, DaleW wrote:
> Friday David drove over from Berkeley and we went with him and his girlfriend to a Japanese restaurant in Sacramento. I had some nigiri and tonkatsu, with the former I had a glass of (vintage unknown) Murphy-Goode Sauvignon Blanc. A bit dilute, but clean and innocuous, served it's purpose. B-/C+
>
> Saturday we flew back via LAX. Landed at JFK on time, but over 2 hours on tarmac. Then 1.5 hours till luggage came out (but not ours- still waiting, it's been to Newark and Atlanta since!). Wee hours drive home in the snow, could have used a drink but too late/tired. Sunday night roast chicken, roast veggies, and quinoa. Wine was the 2011 Lafouge "les Duresses"- Auxey-Duresses. Fresh, black cherry and raspberry, smoke. Well-balanced, could use time but tasty now. B+
>
> Monday headed up to Pound Ridge for a Gouges tasting. Dan had a nice spread of munchies, and someone brought a bottle of MV Krug that he estimated he'd cellared for 5 years or so (it predated lot codes). Broad, yeasty, in a good place, most loved but I'm not as much a Krug lover as others, for me a B/B+
>
> To table for the Gouges and a few others:

Thanks for these notes, Dale! I love Gouges wines but they certainly
need time, even his Bourgogne.
Graham

Posted to alt.food.wine

graham > wrote in :

> Thanks for these notes, Dale! I love Gouges wines but they certainly
> need time, even his Bourgogne.
> Graham

I once purchased two bottles of the 1999 Nuits Saint Georges PC Les
Pruliers and Les Saint-Georges. But I am quite afraid of opening them. I
never found a wine drinker say: "this Gouges was at peak"

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 8:14:13 PM UTC+1, DaleW wrote:

> 1970 Lopez de Heredia "Tondonia" Rioja Gran Reserva
> Red fruit, animal/barnyard, citrus zest, nice length, lovely, A-

In Karen's Wine Bible described that particular wine and vintage as "mind altering"

Im really struggling to even find the current release 1994.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Michael Nielsen > wrote in
:

> Im really struggling to even find the current release 1994.

Available online in 57 shops in Europe, 26 of which sell worldwide, always
according to winesearcher

s.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 1:46:24 PM UTC-7, Michael Nielsen wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 8:14:13 PM UTC+1, DaleW wrote:
>
> > 1970 Lopez de Heredia "Tondonia" Rioja Gran Reserva
> > Red fruit, animal/barnyard, citrus zest, nice length, lovely, A-

> In Karen's Wine Bible described that particular wine and vintage as "mind altering"
>
> Im really struggling to even find the current release 1994.

Current release is 2002 not 1994. Just bought 3 bottles from WTSO.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wednesday, February 25, 2015 at 10:12:10 PM UTC+1, lleichtman wrote:

> Current release is 2002 not 1994. Just bought 3 bottles from WTSO.

That's reserva. GRs are usually 20 years before release
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wednesday, February 25, 2015 at 7:17:23 PM UTC+1, santiago wrote:

> Available online in 57 shops in Europe, 26 of which sell worldwide, always
> according to winesearcher

I've started considering that, but I have to figure out the danish taxation.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Michael Nielsen > wrote in
:

> I've started considering that, but I have to figure out the danish
> taxation.

None, I belief. You just get your parcel and that's all. Maybe there is
a difference in VAT depending on who do you purchase from. If from a
small online retailer, that sells less than 300k euro in Denmark, you
will pay the VAT rate of the selling country. If the online shop sells
more than 300k euro in Denmark, the seller needs to work with Danish
VAT, pay it to the Danish Tax Office and so on (and that's why Amazon
charges you the local VAT rate).

2001 La Rioja Alta "Viña Ardanza" Reserva Especial Rioja Michael Nielsen[_4_] Wine 4 07-05-2016 11:51 PM
Quest for Krug Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 1 28-12-2015 07:45 PM
TN: ESJ Old Black Magic and some Pinot Gouges DaleW Wine 0 26-01-2010 03:24 AM
Charles Krug sibeer Wine 0 28-02-2007 01:55 AM
TN: basic Bourgogne and 2nd of LMHB DaleW Wine 2 25-07-2005 09:14 PM