Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: SOBER does 61 Issan, 70 Nenin, .my first Grand Tinels, 95 Bdx, more

Mark hosted SOBER Tuesday. Instead of our usual Champagne start, he went with 2 sherries, the Equipo Navazos Fino No. 24 & the Equipo Navazos Manzanilla no. 30. I'm just not a sherr guy- I can appreciate that these were complex but I couldn't find them appealing.

To the table for a chicken/kale soup with ginger and lemongrass, and the first blind flight (whites). Took a while to get that it was a Burg horizontal (I thought Rioja), but once Mark said yes John got 1989 on first guess, and that middle wine was Meursault

#1- pretty oxidized, oth, but fun to taste for level at such age. 1989 Sauzet Bourgogne Blanc C
#2- honied, ripe, big, mature 1989 Chavy-Chouet "Les Narvaux" Meursault 1er B
#3 Seemed a bit volatile at first, but calmed down, pear and walnut, 1989 Sauzet "Referts" Puligny Montrachet 1er B/B-

First red flight (with excellent pot roasted with mashed potatoes and green beans)

#1 - Herbal, black fruit,opens nicely, long 1995 Calon-Segur B+/A-
#2 -more restrained, pretty tight, but you can sense the power. 1995 La Mission Haut Brion B+?

Second Red Flight
Would have never guessed producer, because I think I'd never tried before.

#1- corked. 1988 Grand Tinel Chateauneuf-du-Pape

#2- full, ripe but balanced, dark berry fruit, licorice, spice, my fave of flight. 1989 Grand Tinel Chateauneuf-du-Pape B+/A-

#3 - ripe fruit, smoke, a little tarry edge that had me thinking Piedmont (but someone got Rhone before I ventured my guess) 1990 Grand Tinel Chateauneuf-du-Pape B+

Third Red Flight
#1 Sweet, complete, delicious, complex and a pointe. Really nice. 1981 Grand Tinel Chateauneuf-du-Pape A-

#2 maderized , too bad, this can be a great wine. . 1981 Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape C

Fourth Red Flight
#1- OK, we're back in Bdx! Full, rich, long, sweet cassis and cigarbox, my WOTN. 1961 Ch. d'Issan. A-

#2-Quieter at first, opens nicely, redder fruits with a large herbal component, elegant. 1970 Ch. Nenin A-/B+

Great lineup, learned a new fave CdP producer, great food and company.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Hi Dale,

Really glad you got to explore these Grand Tinels from fantastic
vintages. I'm please to say I still have all of these in the cellar,
albeit in small quantities now, bought on site from the Jeune family.
The children have taken over the domaine, maybe 10-ish years ago, and of
course the practice has long ceased, but in those days Eli Jeune used to
partially bottle a vintage and keep the rest sitting in very large
barrels, which he would bottle sometimes years later when the stock ran
low. I suppose this was a way of managing limited cellar space, but it
led to bottle significant variation, depending on what "lot" the bottle
came from. Sounds like these were from the first bottling...

On Sun, 15 Feb 2015 16:36:22 -0800, DaleW wrote:

> #1- corked. 1988 Grand Tinel Chateauneuf-du-Pape

Too bad. This is a lovely wine, fairly soft now but always more fruit
driven than the other 2. In those days we said feminine, but I think
that term is out of fashion now!

> #2- full, ripe but balanced, dark berry fruit, licorice, spice, my fave
> of flight. 1989 Grand Tinel Chateauneuf-du-Pape B+/A-

Great wine, mythical vintage, the best of the big three.

> #3 - ripe fruit, smoke, a little tarry edge that had me thinking
> Piedmont (but someone got Rhone before I ventured my guess) 1990 Grand
> Tinel Chateauneuf-du-Pape B+

On release I thought '90 would be even better than '89 because of the
tarry structures. Initially bigger boned but also more rustic than 89. I
was wrong, but still a great vintage, we have a jeroboam as well as a
couple of bottles.

> Third Red Flight #1 Sweet, complete, delicious, complex and a pointe.
> Really nice. 1981 Grand Tinel Chateauneuf-du-Pape A-

I'm glad to hear this as we have a mag but otherwise I haven't tasted
this for many years. Sounds like a match for an upcoming roe buck.

cheers,

-E

--
Questions about wine? Check the FAQ. http://winefaq.cwdjr.net
Posted to alt.food.wine

Emery Davis` > wrote in
:

>> Third Red Flight #1 Sweet, complete, delicious, complex and a pointe.
>> Really nice. 1981 Grand Tinel Chateauneuf-du-Pape A-

> I'm glad to hear this as we have a mag but otherwise I haven't tasted
> this for many years. Sounds like a match for an upcoming roe buck.

Sounds mouthwatering!!!! I'll take a plane if you invite me (it's a magnum,
after all).

s.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2/17/15 4:56 AM, Emery Davis` wrote:
> Hi Dale,
>
> Really glad you got to explore these Grand Tinels from fantastic
> vintages. I'm please to say I still have all of these in the cellar,
> albeit in small quantities now, bought on site from the Jeune family.
> The children have taken over the domaine, maybe 10-ish years ago, and of
> course the practice has long ceased, but in those days Eli Jeune used to
> partially bottle a vintage and keep the rest sitting in very large
> barrels, which he would bottle sometimes years later when the stock ran
> low. I suppose this was a way of managing limited cellar space, but it
> led to bottle significant variation, depending on what "lot" the bottle
> came from. Sounds like these were from the first bottling...

Piling on here, Grand Tinel is indeed one of the best traditional CdPs
left: unpretentious but honest. They're also still reasonably priced
when one can find them in the market. They used to be brought into my
area by a local importer, but they no longer exist as such.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wednesday, February 18, 2015 at 5:15:01 PM UTC+1, Mark Lipton wrote:
> Piling on here, Grand Tinel is indeed one of the best traditional CdPs
> left: unpretentious but honest. They're also still reasonably priced
> when one can find them in the market. They used to be brought into my
> area by a local importer, but they no longer exist as such.

the 2010 gran tinel CdP is available here. I'll give it a go.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 18/02/2015 9:14 AM, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 2/17/15 4:56 AM, Emery Davis` wrote:
>> Hi Dale,
>>
>> Really glad you got to explore these Grand Tinels from fantastic
>> vintages. I'm please to say I still have all of these in the cellar,
>> albeit in small quantities now, bought on site from the Jeune family.
>> The children have taken over the domaine, maybe 10-ish years ago, and of
>> course the practice has long ceased, but in those days Eli Jeune used to
>> partially bottle a vintage and keep the rest sitting in very large
>> barrels, which he would bottle sometimes years later when the stock ran
>> low. I suppose this was a way of managing limited cellar space, but it
>> led to bottle significant variation, depending on what "lot" the bottle
>> came from. Sounds like these were from the first bottling...

> Piling on here, Grand Tinel is indeed one of the best traditional CdPs
> left: unpretentious but honest. They're also still reasonably priced
> when one can find them in the market. They used to be brought into my
> area by a local importer, but they no longer exist as such.
>
> Mark Lipton

The nearest stockist for me is some 300km away and they want $80
(~$65US) for a 2007 CdP "Heres" and ~$53 (~$42US) for the 2010 CdP.
They also stock a CdP Cuvee Alexis for a bit more than the straight CdP.
Graham

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wed, 18 Feb 2015 11:53:50 -0700, graham wrote:

> On 18/02/2015 9:14 AM, Mark Lipton wrote:
>> On 2/17/15 4:56 AM, Emery Davis` wrote:
>>> Hi Dale,
>>>
>>> Really glad you got to explore these Grand Tinels from fantastic
>>> vintages. I'm please to say I still have all of these in the cellar,
>>> albeit in small quantities now, bought on site from the Jeune family.
>>> The children have taken over the domaine, maybe 10-ish years ago, and
>>> of course the practice has long ceased, but in those days Eli Jeune
>>> used to partially bottle a vintage and keep the rest sitting in very
>>> large barrels, which he would bottle sometimes years later when the
>>> stock ran low. I suppose this was a way of managing limited cellar
>>> space, but it led to bottle significant variation, depending on what
>>> "lot" the bottle came from. Sounds like these were from the first
>>> bottling...

>> Piling on here, Grand Tinel is indeed one of the best traditional CdPs
>> left: unpretentious but honest. They're also still reasonably priced
>> when one can find them in the market. They used to be brought into my
>> area by a local importer, but they no longer exist as such.
>>
>> Mark Lipton
>>

> The nearest stockist for me is some 300km away and they want $80
> (~$65US) for a 2007 CdP "Heres" and ~$53 (~$42US) for the 2010 CdP. They
> also stock a CdP Cuvee Alexis for a bit more than the straight CdP.
> Graham

Although I taste the various wines almost every year we really only buy
the traditional (domaine) and the CdR, which is also excellent and great
value. They've also come out with the Domaine St Paul, but I don't know
these wines as well (although I've tasted a few with young Christophe).

--
Questions about wine? Check the FAQ. http://winefaq.cwdjr.net
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wed, 18 Feb 2015 15:48:12 +0000, santiago wrote:

> Sounds mouthwatering!!!! I'll take a plane if you invite me (it's a
> magnum,
> after all).

Plenty of opportunities for CdP and roe buck at my house, Santiago!

--
Questions about wine? Check the FAQ. http://winefaq.cwdjr.net
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wednesday, February 18, 2015 at 7:53:53 PM UTC+1, graham wrote:
> The nearest stockist for me is some 300km away and they want $80
> (~$65US) for a 2007 CdP "Heres" and ~$53 (~$42US) for the 2010 CdP.

Finally, a wine thats not overpriced here then, it is 42USD here, too

TN: Lots of Lagrange & Issan, + Torres, CFE, CaliCabs, Bual, etc DaleW Wine 0 28-01-2011 09:57 PM
TN: Issan, Bouchard, Huet DaleW Wine 3 06-03-2007 02:11 PM
TN: Nenin, roses, and a very good 2003 Loire DaleW Wine 2 27-06-2005 03:49 PM
TN: Lots of Lagrange, and Issan and Corbin to boot DaleW Wine 5 17-01-2005 06:20 PM
TN Ch. d'Issan 1961 Cwdjrx _ Wine 0 13-12-2004 07:36 AM