Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Piedmont, CA, Jura, Bdx, and Burg

Monday Betsy started a broth for a dinner Thursday, it's supposed to be beef in Barolo, but we cheated a bit using the 2010 Pasquale Pelissero "Bricco San Giuliano' Barbaresco. She used 4 cups, I sampled what was left of second bottle. Tannic, good black cherry fruit, rose petals, just a hint of tarry notes. B

Dinner was a pasta with edamame, asparagus, and tomatoes, with leftover Chidaine Touraine SB (showing well on day 2)

Tuesday I did sauteed scallops, shanghai cabbage with oyster sauce, and leftover quinoa, wine was the 2010 Tissot "En Barberon" Chardonnay (Cotes du Jura). I'm a big Tissot fan, but don't think this is a buy-again. There's a caramelly/oxidative edge, fruit is apple accented with orange peel, this is big and sturdy but not so pleasing, I prefer the less expensive Empriente. B-

Wednesday I used Betsy Barbaresco broth to simmer 10 lbs of oxtails for Thursday, while I ate leftovers. Wine was the 2000 Edmunds St John "Los Robles Viejos" . Sweet redder fruits, licorice, green herbs. With air a bit of a smoky note. Drinking quite nicely now, for my low to middlebrow tastes. B++

Thursday was SOBER reported elsewhere.

Friday we had another dinner party (small house, when we go over 8 people I move dining table into living room, so might as well invite another group before moving back). Appetizers were boquerone crostini, smoked salmon canapes, and grilled vegetables with a ricotta/pine nut filling. Welcoming wine was the NV Louis de Sacy Grand Cru Brut Champagne. Light, easy drinking, apple with a little bread dough, pleasant but simple. B-

Main course was a variation of Daniel Boulud's chicken tagine with cauliflower recipe. Several wines were poured

1986 Gruaud Larose
Really nice showing of a longtime favorite, deep rich cassis fruit with pencil lead, cigarbox, earth, and barnyard. Gets more floral and complex with more air, big but balanced. A-/A

1996 Pierre Bouree Chambolle-Musigny
This showed well, spice notes above the cherry and raspberry fruit. A hint of tannin, fine acids, nice length, B+

2004 Aldo Conterno Barolo
This was some people's favorite, I thought it a moderate to large framed red wine that didn't scream Barolo. Approachable fruit but tannic finish. B/B-

1972 Sterling Merlot
Lacks the acidity that livened up the early 70s Sterling cabs night before, but there's still red plum fruit, with some ashtray and teriyaki notes. It's alive! B-/B

Fun night with old friends.