Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Thanksgiving (US) and other wines- California, Burgundy, MSR

No wine Tuesday night (pulled pork, etc) in Georgia, but Wednesday I shopped at Whole Foods for a couple bottles while Betsy and her mom got produce. That night we had a seafood casserole with assorted sides, and the 2013 Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc-Viognier. This is a touch sweeter -sec-tende- than I remember earlier vintages (but we're probably talking 5-8 vintages ago, so memory might be off), but nice acids, firm peach and apple flavors, good finish. Good choice in supermarket wine. B-/B

Thanksgiving was the usual big spread- turkey, ham, dressing, beans, root vegetables, kale/brussels sprouts salad, corn, relishes, much more. A red I bought and a white my brother brought:

2013 Thivin Cote de Brouilly
Red fruit, cranberry and cherry, some earth, pleasant but not really exciting. B

2011 Kistler "Kistler Vineyard" Chardonnay
Big, lots of oak, decent acids, long finish. Not really my style but well-done and not buttery or fat. B/B-

Actually, I also tasted both together. I had opened the Chard for my sister-in-law, checked for corkiness, than opened the Beaujolais. Poured myself a tasting pour, it was fine, poured for my dad, brother, and Betsy. Went back to top off mine for a table pour, and grabbed the Chard my mistake. Oops.. The mix was truly the worst of both worlds- the oak beat the hell out of the red fruit, making it seem thin. C

There was also a wine called New Age, neglected to note more, which was like an industrial vinho verde spiked with the syrup from canned peaches. C-

Friday Betsy made a quick bouillabaisse, we tried with leftover wines. I thought the oak in Kistler was less apparent, Thivin hadn't changed much, the Pine Ridge wasn't obviously oxidized but seemed flatter.

Saturday we flew into Newark, I dropped Betsy at Columbia/Pres to visit her niece who had spinal surgery, then returned a few hours later to pick her up. Slow roasted some sweet potatoes, marinated salmon, so when we were home dinner took 15 minutes. Wine was the 2012
Bzikot Bourgogne. I thought this was oakfree on previous tries, but thought there was some here. Good acids, fresh, nice. B

Sunday I made roast chicken & vegetables with chipotle/adobo, cumin, etc and similarly flavored mix of lentils, black barley, and quinoa, & salad. Wine was the 2012 Edmunds St. John "Rocks and Gravel". Fun fun wine. Bright, fresh fruit, some spice and herbs. With some air some floral notes, but it's still the fruit that rules. Some tannin underneath, but easy and supple. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have guessed a GSM blend if this was blind, this strikes me like a (excellent) Cru Beaujolais. B+/A-

Tonight yellow eye beans seasoned with smoked turkey wing, mushrooms w/spinach, and broccoli. Wine is the 2012 Reichsgraf von Kesselstatt Goldtropfchen Spatlese. Rich, tropical, acids keep it from cloying. At first I thought a bit too sweet/rich for my tastes, but as I revisit more impressed. There's some mineral notes, gunflint and smoke, and the acids really do stand up to the sugars. B+

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Monday, December 1, 2014 9:05:44 PM UTC-5, DaleW wrote:
> [...]
>
> Tonight yellow eye beans seasoned with smoked turkey wing, mushrooms w/spinach, and broccoli. Wine is the 2012 Reichsgraf von Kesselstatt Goldtropfchen Spatlese. Rich, tropical, acids keep it from cloying. At first I thought a bit too sweet/rich for my tastes, but as I revisit more impressed. There's some mineral notes, gunflint and smoke, and the acids really do stand up to the sugars. B+
>

> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Nice broad selection of wines. I gave up on Kistler a few years ago as I found that as the oak pendulum swung away from oak he was still a fan.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tuesday, December 2, 2014 5:14:48 PM UTC+1, Bi!! wrote:
> Nice broad selection of wines. I gave up on Kistler a few years ago as I found that as the oak pendulum swung away from oak he was still a fan.

I read that he swung away a bit from it, which worried me, but it was still good. Its a sad state if everyone follows the mainstream tendencies.

However, the world could do without "unoaked chardonnay" hahahah then I'd not have to risk getting served it when Im out Like Miles say about merlot "Im not drinking the ****ing unoaked chard!"
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 12/3/2014 4:38 AM, Michael Nielsen wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 2, 2014 5:14:48 PM UTC+1, Bi!! wrote:
>> Nice broad selection of wines. I gave up on Kistler a few years ago as I found that as the oak pendulum swung away from oak he was still a fan.

> I read that he swung away a bit from it, which worried me, but it was still good. Its a sad state if everyone follows the mainstream tendencies.
>
> However, the world could do without "unoaked chardonnay" hahahah then I'd not have to risk getting served it when Im out Like Miles say about merlot "Im not drinking the ****ing unoaked chard!"

But then Miles drank his prized Petrus which is, drum roll please, Merlot.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 9:14:30 AM UTC-5, Joseph Coulter wrote:

> But then Miles drank his prized Petrus which is, drum roll please, Merlot.

Think it was Cheval Blanc, which is blend of Merlot and Cab Franc (the other grape he dissed)

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 10:03:11 AM UTC-5, DaleW wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 9:14:30 AM UTC-5, Joseph Coulter wrote:
>
> > But then Miles drank his prized Petrus which is, drum roll please, Merlot.

> Think it was Cheval Blanc, which is blend of Merlot and Cab Franc (the other grape he dissed)

Yes it was 1961 Cheval Blanc. My comments about Kistler were reflective of a trend that started back in the mid 1990's of riper fruit, 100% malolactic fermentation and 100% new Oak which tended to give the wines a very big, buttery, high alcohol profile that became a standard. I felt that Kistler initially made his wines in a more Burgundian style in those days but eventually moved towards the more oaky, buttery model over time. As California makers have moved away from this style, Kistler seemed to lag behind again in terms of the judicious use of oak.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 12:27:41 PM UTC-5, Bi!! wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 10:03:11 AM UTC-5, DaleW wrote:
> > On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 9:14:30 AM UTC-5, Joseph Coulter wrote:
> >
> > > But then Miles drank his prized Petrus which is, drum roll please, Merlot.

> > Think it was Cheval Blanc, which is blend of Merlot and Cab Franc (the other grape he dissed)

> Yes it was 1961 Cheval Blanc. My comments about Kistler were reflective of a trend that started back in the mid 1990's of riper fruit, 100% malolactic fermentation and 100% new Oak which tended to give the wines a very big, buttery, high alcohol profile that became a standard. I felt that Kistler initially made his wines in a more Burgundian style in those days but eventually moved towards the more oaky, buttery model over time. As California makers have moved away from this style, Kistler seemed to lag behind again in terms of the judicious use of oak.

I tend to agree with Bi!!. Kistler has jumped the shark for me in all ways. I really think they are way too oaky and I have never been a fan of their Pinot Noir. Their tasting room policy turns me off but then, I wouldn't really want to taste anything.