Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: France, Austria, Spain, Italy, Germany

Betsy needed cooking wine while I was in city, and used the 2013 Chidaine Touraine Sauvignon. A glass next day was clean, fresh, light, correct. B

Wednesday was herbed salmon, brown rice with nori, pak choy, and the 2009 Louis de Turquin Morgon. Not a producer I know, stumbled across in cellar and have no clue how it got there. Fairly fat and fleshy, plummy fruit, fruit forward, this isn't something I'd seek (or maybe pick as Gamay much less Morgon), but decent flavors. But a tad short. B-/C+

With swordfish, carrot-ginger soup, and collards 2013 Nikolaihof "Hefeabzug"
Gruner Veltliner. Lighter styled, hint of spritz, moderate acids,fresh with apple and green peas. Saline mineral notes on finish. B/B+

With a spicy Tunisian chicken/chickpea soup, the 2007 La Rioja Alta "Alberdi" Rioja Reserva. Coconut and toffee aromas from the US oak, redder fruits, plush, spicy, it's a little much for me now, but think it will calm down.. For now B-

Friends brought their new cockapoo pup for first playdate with Lucy, while they chased each other and enjoyed marrow bones the people enjoyed bluefish dijonnaise, steamed romanesco, a rice/corn salad, and Brussels sprouts.

2008 Juve y Camps "Reserva de la Familia " Brut Nature Cava
Crisp dry, seems a bit severe at first, opens up, bread/yeast, citrus fruit.. Good value. B/B+

1989 Kramp "Ayler Kupp Saar" Riesling Kabinett Trocken
A big dose of petrol, but that's the only indication of age. Green apples, just a touch of sugar, light-bodied. Not very complex, but tasty. B

2013 Pepiere Muscadet
Seashells, saline, crisp citrus, great value.; B+

With Betsy's sister and her husband, acorn squash & poblano soup, king crab legs, and a mushroom/kale saute.

1988 Luigi Einaudi Barolo
I had thought there was going to be polenta with a mushroom topping, and thought Nebbiolo might go. Already opened when I learned of change of plan. Glad I did open it- midbodied, mature, sweet red fruits, flower petals and tar, not a wow wine, but a nice example of non-trophy Barolo. B/B+

2011 Lafouge "les Boutonniers"Auxey-Duresses
Pure chardonnay fruit with just a hint of sweet oak, good acids, crisp, with a full body, A real overachiever, and I'm quite sad to see it's my only bottle. A-/B+

2005 Baumard "le Paon" Coteaux du Layon
Apricot and fruit salad. Sweet, some botrytis, needs more verve. B-/C+