FoodBanter.com

-   -   [TN] Adieu, Maurice Écard (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/431132-tn-adieu-maurice-card.html)

Mark Lipton[_1_] 06-10-2014 06:11 AM

[TN] Adieu, Maurice Écard

Jean recently ordered various duck bits from D'Artagnan, so with a
pan-seared Moulard duck breast (the size of a small roast) and some duck
confit, I opened a Burgundy from the cellar:

1999 Dom. Maurice Écard Savigny-les-Beaune "Les Jarrons" 1er Cru

After a bit of barnyard was allowed to blow off the nose, what was left
was a very robust and lively Pinot Noir: earthy, tart raspberry and
vivid acidity. Really a fine match with the duck, too.

This bottle was a cellar orphan, as I found that I had the '02 version
in CellarTracker but not this. Upon investigation, I found that this
was my last remaining bottle of Écard's Savigny (I did have the '02 but
must have consumed it in the last few years), which was cause for a bit
of melancholy as I am quite sure that I will never again have a bottle
of his wine. As a fare-thee-well, it functioned fabulously, and Jean
and I both toasted M. Écard's good health.

Mark Lipton