Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Mostly Mouches, all Drouhin, in NYC

Yesterday was warm but not as humid as the previous days, so I felt better heading to the city for a Drouhin tasting. A great group met at Amali at the Midtown/UES border for Mouches and more. Amali was packed, so it was a bit tight, but it worked out in the end.

2005 Drouhin "Folatieres"Puligny-Montrachet 1er
Some disagreement on this one, it struck me as ripe and full, others thought it lean. Though it was ripe to me, I thought there were nice balancing acids and a good long minerally finish. A-/B+

2011 Drouhin "Clos des Mouches" Beaune 1er
Beautiful, crisp and stony, with just a whisper of oak. A bit coiled, but I enjoy now, and would expect to get even better. A-

2009 Drouhin "Clos des Mouches" Beaune 1er
A bit rounder, more fruit (pear) driven, with some hazelnut. B/B+

1983 Drouhin "Clos des Mouches" Beaune 1er
Ok, so color was a bit dark, and nose was quite oxidized, but I found this interesting on the palate. Pear, dried fruits, and nuts, with lingering acids and a chalky note. Josh says more tired than other bottles. A C on the nose and a B on the palate, let's say C+

My main was grilled half chicken with persillade (or maybe it was a parsley salad., or tabbouleh sans bulgur, who knows)

1976 Drouhin "Clos des Mouches" Beaune 1er
Roasted and caramelly, better on palate that nose. Quite round and soft, red fruit is a bit tired. B-/C+

1987 Drouhin "Greves" Beaune 1er
Pretty, fragrant, elegant. Maybe more feminine than the Mouches. Black cherry, citrus zest. A-

1985 Drouhin "Clos des Mouches" Beaune 1er
Soft, warm red fruits, fully mature, good but at least this bottle is drink up. B+/A-

1986 Drouhin "Clos des Mouches" Beaune 1er
Quite divisive, with tangy/sharp acids. But I felt there was a good core of dark cherry fruit and interesting earthy notes. My expectations for '86 Burg were quite low (though had a lovely Mugneret Ruchottles a couple years ago), so this performed well above my expectations. B

2008 Drouhin "Clos des Mouches" Beaune 1er
This was a bit coiled, but a pretty wine. Black cherry, citrus zest, spicy with a bright acidic base. Think this will get better. B+ for now

2010 Drouhin "Clos des Mouches" Beaune 1er
Tannic, ripe, closed. B for drinking now, but A- for potential.

We got some cheese (an American cow and an Italian cow/sheep) to finish.

2002 Drouhin "Clos des Mouches" Beaune 1er
Beautiful black cherry and raspberry fruit, balanced tannins and acids, some herbal notes. Full and powerful but with elegance. A-

2002 Drouhin Clos Vougeot
Also ripe and full, but at moment not as open as the Mouches. In glass develops some smoky notes, I like this a lot. B +/A-

Really fun night. I was a fan of the wines. Nice group, and the beefy boys handled the "we're out of ribeye, how about flank steak" with humor. Amali staff was trying hard, and the bill was very reasonable.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thursday, September 4, 2014 9:58:31 AM UTC-5, DaleW wrote:
> [...]
>

> 2002 Drouhin "Clos des Mouches" Beaune 1er
>
> Beautiful black cherry and raspberry fruit, balanced tannins and acids, some herbal notes. Full and powerful but with elegance. A-
>

> 2002 Drouhin Clos Vougeot
>
> Also ripe and full, but at moment not as open as the Mouches. In glass develops some smoky notes, I like this a lot. B +/A-
>

> Really fun night. I was a fan of the wines. Nice group, and the beefy boys handled the "we're out of ribeye, how about flank steak" with humor. Amali staff was trying hard, and the bill was very reasonable.
>

> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Good to hear the 2002's are developing well. Have only touched a few bottles so far.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thursday, September 4, 2014 11:43:52 AM UTC-4, lleichtman wrote:
> [...]

> > Beautiful black cherry and raspberry fruit, balanced tannins and acids, some herbal notes. Full and powerful but with elegance. A-

> > 2002 Drouhin Clos Vougeot

> > Also ripe and full, but at moment not as open as the Mouches. In glass develops some smoky notes, I like this a lot. B +/A-

> > Really fun night. I was a fan of the wines. Nice group, and the beefy boys handled the "we're out of ribeye, how about flank steak" with humor. Amali staff was trying hard, and the bill was very reasonable.

> > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

> Good to hear the 2002's are developing well. Have only touched a few bottles so far.

Me too in addition to some 2000 rouge. Thanks for the great notes!
Posted to alt.food.wine

I should clarify that the 2011, 2009, and 1983 Mouches were blanc!!
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 9/4/2014 4:19 PM, DaleW wrote:
> I should clarify that the 2011, 2009, and 1983 Mouches were blanc!!

I think the "pear notes" might have tipped your hand

Posted to alt.food.wine

Default clarification for Dale

On 9/4/2014 4:19 PM, DaleW wrote:
> I should clarify that the 2011, 2009, and 1983 Mouches were blanc!!

I hit send on the other post before noting, I thought they were all
whites at first due to reading the notes on pear etc. It was when the
red notes started that I became disoriented, but then that isn't hard
for me

JC
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thursday, September 4, 2014 4:19:42 PM UTC-4, DaleW wrote:
> I should clarify that the 2011, 2009, and 1983 Mouches were blanc!!

I also figured it out given the discriptions of pear, etc. versus red berry. None the less I enjoyed the notes and they were informative for what i have in my cellar. Thanks!

2000 Drouhin Clos des Mouches Rouge Bi!! Wine 0 26-04-2013 04:16 PM
[TN] '96 Drouhin Clos des Mouches Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 2 15-11-2009 06:48 PM
[TN] '08 Drouhin St. Veran Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 2 16-10-2009 10:46 PM
TN: Keller and Drouhin DaleW Wine 2 04-03-2009 06:50 AM
TN: '98 Drouhin Vougeot Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 7 30-10-2007 10:51 PM