Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Champagne, Franconia, El Dorado, Etna, Chablis

Thursday David and some friends joined us for dinner on a lovely night on the patio. I grilled salmon, we also had tomato with basil, summer squash, pasta, and watermelon. And of course wine!

1999 Ayala Brut Champagne
Oops, I thought I was opening the NV Majeur. "This seems much bigger and fuller than I remember" Oh, now I look at label. Full, apple and citrus peel, a little bread dough but not especially yeasty, good length. B+

1991 Guy Robin "Valmur" Chablis Grand Cru
Not sure where this came from, think it was non-target part of a mixed lot. Low expectations, but this was actually pretty nice at first opening, though a bit flabby for Chablis. Tasted more like a modest mature Meursault-large framed, hazelnut, warm pear fruit, nice floral nose. Good for about 20 minutes, then began to show oxidative notes, after an hour no thanks! B/B- on opening, then C-

2009 Wirsching "S" Iphofer Julius-Echter-Berg Riesling
Dry and steely, citrus and stones. Pretty austere on first night, much more approachable on day 2, with a gingery note. B+ on second night

2003 Calabretta Etna Rosso
A little barnyard funk, medium bodied, herby, not a lot of tannin but what tannin there is comes across as a little gritty. Good red fruits with some air, this isn't polished but a pretty solid wine. Quickly finished. No VA that I notice. B+/B

2013 Edmunds St John "Bone Jolly" Gamay rose
I've written several notes on this so I'll just say again this is a lovely crisp rose in a rather full-bodied style. Down to a few bottles, better get more B++

Last night I went to a local jazz jam session at a cafe, where Tim Ries (sax player who usually tours with Stones) joined the Jay Azzolino trio. Great music, not as exciting as a food/wine experience. I tried a watermelon soup, which tasted liked leftover melon/feta/mint salad that sits in fridge for 2 days. Jonathan smartly ordered beer, Marc's Fonterutoli IGT had clearly been open a couple of days. I tried the (vintage?) Jean Luc Colombo Cape Bleue rose, tasting reasonably fresh, but was soft, sweet, and innocuous. C+ I also ordered a glass of the Faustino VII Rioja. I'm not totally convinced that was what I got, though she repeated Rioja when delivered- this was quite dark, with tannic body, dark fruits, rather short. Didn't look or taste like Crianza Rioja to me, but I've never had that bottling. C+/B- whatever it was
/