Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 1997 Louis Latour Corton Charlemagne

Still opening old bottles. I still have a couple of older Corton Charlemagnes so I grabbed a 1997 Latour Corton Charlemagne and grilled some swordfish with a corn and yellow pepper salsa. The wine was a bit tight initially showing a little lime and mineral on the nose. It never did get effusive but eventually pear, honeysuckle and hazelnut armoas came out. Very focused and linear on the palate. The front end acidity balanced backened ripeness giving the impression of lightness to the wine when actually there was a lot going on. Lemon curd, orange zest, a bit of oaky vanilla and a fair amount of limestone minerality. Far more than I expected I enjoyed every drop. "A-"
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wednesday, June 11, 2014 10:17:31 AM UTC-6, Bi!! wrote:
> Still opening old bottles. I still have a couple of older Corton Charlemagnes so I grabbed a 1997 Latour Corton Charlemagne and grilled some swordfish with a corn and yellow pepper salsa. The wine was a bit tight initially showing a little lime and mineral on the nose. It never did get effusive but eventually pear, honeysuckle and hazelnut armoas came out. Very focused and linear on the palate. The front end acidity balanced backened ripeness giving the impression of lightness to the wine when actually there was a lot going on. Lemon curd, orange zest, a bit of oaky vanilla and a fair amount of limestone minerality. Far more than I expected I enjoyed every drop. "A-"

And not oxidized. How great!
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wednesday, June 11, 2014 1:11:38 PM UTC-4, lleichtman wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 11, 2014 10:17:31 AM UTC-6, Bi!! wrote:
>
> > Still opening old bottles. I still have a couple of older Corton Charlemagnes so I grabbed a 1997 Latour Corton Charlemagne and grilled some swordfish with a corn and yellow pepper salsa. The wine was a bit tight initially showing a little lime and mineral on the nose. It never did get effusive but eventually pear, honeysuckle and hazelnut armoas came out. Very focused and linear on the palate. The front end acidity balanced backened ripeness giving the impression of lightness to the wine when actually there was a lot going on. Lemon curd, orange zest, a bit of oaky vanilla and a fair amount of limestone minerality. Far more than I expected I enjoyed every drop. "A-"

> And not oxidized. How great!

I cannot recall ever having a premoxed Latour although I'm sure it happens.