Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 2 WE successes

We had 2 very good bottles this WE, I was going to post about the first,
but the second deserves a mention also.

Ch. St Jean, Cinq Cepages 1995. With salt crusted roast chicken, coco
beans in olive oil with fresh shallots and garlic. Although the 94 was
predictably the "better" bottle, time has proved this to be a very well
made wine indeed. Tannins now fully resolved, very elegant almost St.
Julien-like profile: graphite, stone fruits, a little leather, very
balanced and good length. DS = A.

Dom. Raspail-Ay Gigondas 1998. With rabbit in cognac, mustard and
rosemary beurre blanc, served with buttered peas and wheat. Beautiful
black cherry nose, powerful with out getting jammy, good balance, bit of
pepper and thyme, finishing just a little short. Tons of sediment and I
didn't decant, fearing it wouldn't make it through the meal. Fabulous
match, though. DS = A-.

-E

--
Questions about wine? Check the FAQ. http://winefaq.cwdjr.net
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Monday, June 9, 2014 6:39:08 AM UTC-6, Emery Davis` wrote:
> We had 2 very good bottles this WE, I was going to post about the first,
>
> but the second deserves a mention also.
>

> Ch. St Jean, Cinq Cepages 1995. With salt crusted roast chicken, coco
>
> beans in olive oil with fresh shallots and garlic. Although the 94 was
>
> predictably the "better" bottle, time has proved this to be a very well
>
> made wine indeed. Tannins now fully resolved, very elegant almost St.
>
> Julien-like profile: graphite, stone fruits, a little leather, very
>
> balanced and good length. DS = A.
>

> Dom. Raspail-Ay Gigondas 1998. With rabbit in cognac, mustard and
>
> rosemary beurre blanc, served with buttered peas and wheat. Beautiful
>
> black cherry nose, powerful with out getting jammy, good balance, bit of
>
> pepper and thyme, finishing just a little short. Tons of sediment and I
>
> didn't decant, fearing it wouldn't make it through the meal. Fabulous
>
> match, though. DS = A-.
>

> -E
>

> --
>
> Questions about wine? Check the FAQ. http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Had the 2003 Friday night. Pre Wine Spectator and a very nice bottle. Friend still has a case of this. Would give it an A- on Dale scale. Nice fruit, dark berries, a little cocoa, a little greenness. Tannins well resolved.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Monday, June 9, 2014 8:39:08 AM UTC-4, Emery Davis` wrote:
> We had 2 very good bottles this WE, I was going to post about the first,
>
> but the second deserves a mention also.
>

> Ch. St Jean, Cinq Cepages 1995. With salt crusted roast chicken, coco
>
> beans in olive oil with fresh shallots and garlic. Although the 94 was
>
> predictably the "better" bottle, time has proved this to be a very well
>
> made wine indeed. Tannins now fully resolved, very elegant almost St.
>
> Julien-like profile: graphite, stone fruits, a little leather, very
>
> balanced and good length. DS = A.
>

> Dom. Raspail-Ay Gigondas 1998. With rabbit in cognac, mustard and
>
> rosemary beurre blanc, served with buttered peas and wheat. Beautiful
>
> black cherry nose, powerful with out getting jammy, good balance, bit of
>
> pepper and thyme, finishing just a little short. Tons of sediment and I
>
> didn't decant, fearing it wouldn't make it through the meal. Fabulous
>
> match, though. DS = A-.
>

> -E
>

> --
>
> Questions about wine? Check the FAQ. http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

I recall when the '96 Cinq Cepages was named WS WOTY. Prior to that we loved the wine. It was well made, well distributed and well priced. After the WS it became pricey and in that price range there were plenty of wines to choose from that would rival it. That being said, it was always a favorite of mine and I thought the 1996 was the best they ever made and none have come close since.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 08:36:53 -0700, Bi!! wrote:

> I recall when the '96 Cinq Cepages was named WS WOTY. Prior to that we
> loved the wine. It was well made, well distributed and well priced.
> After the WS it became pricey and in that price range there were plenty
> of wines to choose from that would rival it. That being said, it was
> always a favorite of mine and I thought the 1996 was the best they ever
> made and none have come close since.

That was when we stopped drinking it also.

There are only a couple of bottles of CC left in our cellar (in fact I
had a hard time finding this one) but Adele and I were both surprised at
how well it had aged.

St. Jean once made a very good Zin, but sadly they pulled up the vines to
make room for more cabernet, long ago.

-E
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tuesday, June 10, 2014 11:09:02 PM UTC-6, Emery Davis wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 08:36:53 -0700, Bi!! wrote:
>

> > I recall when the '96 Cinq Cepages was named WS WOTY. Prior to that we

> > loved the wine. It was well made, well distributed and well priced.

> > After the WS it became pricey and in that price range there were plenty

> > of wines to choose from that would rival it. That being said, it was

> > always a favorite of mine and I thought the 1996 was the best they ever

> > made and none have come close since.

> That was when we stopped drinking it also.
>

> There are only a couple of bottles of CC left in our cellar (in fact I
>
> had a hard time finding this one) but Adele and I were both surprised at
>
> how well it had aged.
>

> St. Jean once made a very good Zin, but sadly they pulled up the vines to
>
> make room for more cabernet, long ago.
>

> -E

I still have one orphan bottle of St Jean Zinfandel from 1998. I found it last month. Haven't had the nerve to drink it as I remember them as good.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 10:10:33 -0700, lleichtman wrote:

> I still have one orphan bottle of St Jean Zinfandel from 1998. I found
> it last month. Haven't had the nerve to drink it as I remember them as
> good.

A little like looking up a girlfriend from your youth, I think.
Sometimes it's better to keep a good memory intact from unpleasant
contact with reality...