Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Easter and other wines

Assorted leftovers with the 2010 Burlotto Freisa. Pretty full, some tannin, black plums, earth. Very good, holds up for days B+

Sunday Betsy made a green sauce (parlsey, dill, anchovy, capers) to top a ham,and we carried it over to her sister's home for a potluck Easter party. Paella, salmon, asparagus, develied eggs, summer rolls, cheeses, an assortment of salads.
An assortment of wines as well:

2012 Sportoletti Assisi Grechetto
Straw and grass, peach, modest acids, a touch dilute. B-/C+

2008 von Hovel Scharzhofberger Kabinett
Reasonably crisp, but a bit less vibrant than I remembered, think just a bit warm by time I tried. B- for this bottle

2012 Martin Codax Albarino
Surprisingly round, tropical fruits, grass, not what I expected. B-
2011 Forstreiter Gruner Veltliner
Never heard of this, a gift to Cal. Pretty , light GV with a hint of spritz, peas and citrus, very good. B/B+

2011 J. Lohr Seven Oaks Cabernet Sauvignon
Confected, oakchippy, I remember liking older vintages of this. C+

1979 Ch. La Lagune
Double decanted, red fruits and acids, very popular but I thought shorter and not quite up to previous bottles of this. B

2011 Vougeon Brouilly
Never heard of this producer, but this is nice inexpensive Gamay -berries, a little grapiness, light, fresh. B

Home, eventually a late dinner of turkey breast and lentils, with 2012 Edmunds St John Gamay Noir. A little hint of CO2, a touch shrill at first, calmed down (and was better on night 2). Eventually a nice light bodied red with nice balance. B/B+

I had picked up some beautiful mushrooms and ramps at farmer's market, so made a ramp/mushroom/pea barley "risotto" last night. Delicious, as was:

2012 Pepiere "Briords" Muscadet
I was about an ounce short of white wine for my risotto, so opened this as it was in fridge. Hey, any excuse will do- bright, saline, fresh, long, minerally. I really love this wine. A-
2002 Coste-Caumartin "Chouacheux" Beaune 1er Cru
New producer to me. There's a sour note to the black cherry fruit at first. Well, actually it stays there, I just get used to it. Sour cherry, cocoa, a little smoke. Moderate acids, tannins resolved. Drinking well in a rather rustic style. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Easter wines Michael Nielsen[_4_] Wine 0 29-03-2016 09:44 PM
TN: Easter weekend wines DaleW Wine 0 28-03-2016 07:14 PM
TN: Easter and other wines DaleW Wine 0 02-04-2013 03:59 PM
TN: Easter weekend wines DaleW Wine 0 10-04-2012 03:32 PM
TN: Many Easter wines DaleW Wine 2 10-04-2007 02:43 PM