Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Brachetto d'Acqui Question

Hello all. My wife and I attended a gourmet dinner at a local
well-respected restaurant a few nights ago. The restaurant hosts two
(spring and fall) dinners every year. It is prix-fixe with six
courses. One gets a choice of entree (1 out of 3) but the remaining
courses are set. There are always 4 wine pairings with the dinner.

My wine question is about is about the wine paired with dessert. It
was a 2012 Marenco Brachetto d'Acqui. One, we've never heard of this
varietal before. Two, over the years we've never had a red wine
pairing with dessert that we've ever liked. That changed with this
dinner. The Branchetto was ever so slightly fizzy and ever so slightly
sweet. We found it to be delightful on its own and were even more
pleasantly surprised by how well it paired with the dessert (a
framboise, lemon mascarpone and yuzu cream filled white chocolate
sphere surrounded by fresh raspberries, white chocolate sauce and a
warm raspberry coulis).

Have any readers here had any experience with Brachetto d'Acqui? Is it
considered well-respected or "common" (yes, I realize how subjective
that question is)? Is it easily found in wine stores or relatively
scarce (a question made all the more difficult because I have to deal
with the PA state store system)? Have I betrayed an appalling lack of
knowledge about wine by asking about and liking the Branchetto (just
being facetious!)?

TIA,
Jack
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thursday, March 27, 2014 3:30:04 PM UTC-4, cruciverbalist wrote:
> Hello all. My wife and I attended a gourmet dinner at a local
>
> well-respected restaurant a few nights ago. The restaurant hosts two
>
> (spring and fall) dinners every year. It is prix-fixe with six
>
> courses. One gets a choice of entree (1 out of 3) but the remaining
>
> courses are set. There are always 4 wine pairings with the dinner.
>

> My wine question is about is about the wine paired with dessert. It
>
> was a 2012 Marenco Brachetto d'Acqui. One, we've never heard of this
>
> varietal before. Two, over the years we've never had a red wine
>
> pairing with dessert that we've ever liked. That changed with this
>
> dinner. The Branchetto was ever so slightly fizzy and ever so slightly
>
> sweet. We found it to be delightful on its own and were even more
>
> pleasantly surprised by how well it paired with the dessert (a
>
> framboise, lemon mascarpone and yuzu cream filled white chocolate
>
> sphere surrounded by fresh raspberries, white chocolate sauce and a
>
> warm raspberry coulis).
>

> Have any readers here had any experience with Brachetto d'Acqui? Is it
>
> considered well-respected or "common" (yes, I realize how subjective
>
> that question is)? Is it easily found in wine stores or relatively
>
> scarce (a question made all the more difficult because I have to deal
>
> with the PA state store system)? Have I betrayed an appalling lack of
>
> knowledge about wine by asking about and liking the Branchetto (just
>
> being facetious!)?
>

> TIA,
>
> Jack

While you don't see BdA a lot (the Banfi is one I'm mostly to see), it's not uncommon, and commonly recommended as a dessert accompaniment (especially to chocolate). I don't eat desserts, so no opinion there, but slightly sweet fizzy reds can be fun, especially in picnic situations. Lambruscho is another Italian red that usually has some RS and often is lightly frizzante.
If you like Brachetto d'Acqui, you might also like Bugey-Cerdon, a French wine with similar profile.
Posted to alt.food.wine

It's not rare, but not that common outside Piemonte either. If I see it
in a shop I'll often pick up a bottle to open with strawberries in the
Summer. I'm sure some wine people are a bit sniffy about it, but I
think the world would be poorer without it.

I presume you have tried Moscato d'Asti...? Also good with
strawberries. Different variety and colour, but similar fizz levels and
sweetness, and from the same area. If you haven't, try that too.

--
www.winenous.co.uk
Posted to alt.food.wine

Dale and Steve,

Thank you both for your replies. I will look for and try your
suggestions.

Jack