Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Special Club, Chevillon PTG, Lapierre VdT, Cowan PN,

Sunday was subdued, after the DST spring forward and early airport shuttle,
we piddled around and recovered from benefit concert. Dinner was lemon sole
with the 2010 Mellot €śLa Moussiere€ť Sancerre in half bottle. This seems a
little flabby for Sancerre, though I liked before. Nicely herbaceous, just
needs some zip. B-/C+

Monday I made baked eggs with mushrooms, salad, & snow peas. We celebrated
a milestone in her career with the 2005 Vazart-Coquart Special Club Blanc de
Blancs. Full, clean, and long, with fresh baked bread over sweet pear fruit.
Good acids, fine mousse, B+/A-

Tuesday grilled teriyaki-ish salmon, squash, and asparagus, with brown rice,
furikake and the 2010 Cowan Cellars €śSonoma Coast€ť Pinot Noir. More
restrained and less primary than a bottle soon after release. To me this is
drinking better than the Bennett Valley, a fine juicy midbodied PN with
sweet cherries, a cinnamon-y spice note, and a little smoked meat. Good
acids, nice finish,. B+

Wednesday Dave was back from a trip to Berkeley, and Betsy made one his
favorites, a beef/spinach/cinnamon stew over soba. Wine was the 2012
Lapierre Raisins Gaulois (no Roman numerals, vintage dates on VdT now). 2012
is supposed to be tough in Beaujolais, but this is a fun little wine-
straightahead red fruits with just a touch of earth, easy to drink and easy
to like. B/B+

Thursday Dave joined us again- I did Cornish hens with a vinegar/tomato
sauce, roasted cauliflower, mushrooms, and a chopped salad; wine was the
2010 Chevillon Bourgogne Passetoutgrain. A little shrill at first opening,
with raspberry and cranberry fruit, but just a half hour of air does it a
lot of good, and it drinks well throughout night. The fruit fills out and
gets more of a black cherry profile, acidity integrates, and it seems more
complete. Very good indeed. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine,
B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a
party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of
objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Dale W wrote:

> Tuesday grilled teriyaki-ish salmon, squash, and asparagus, with brown
> rice, furikake and the 2010 Cowan Cellars €śSonoma Coast€ť Pinot Noir.
> More restrained and less primary than a bottle soon after release. To
> me this is drinking better than the Bennett Valley, a fine juicy
> midbodied PN with sweet cherries, a cinnamon-y spice note, and a little
> smoked meat. Good acids, nice finish,. B+
>
> Wednesday Dave was back from a trip to Berkeley, and Betsy made one his
> favorites, a beef/spinach/cinnamon stew over soba. Wine was the 2012
> Lapierre Raisins Gaulois (no Roman numerals, vintage dates on VdT now).
> 2012 is supposed to be tough in Beaujolais, but this is a fun little
> wine- straightahead red fruits with just a touch of earth, easy to drink
> and easy to like. B/B+
>
> Thursday Dave joined us again- I did Cornish hens with a vinegar/tomato
> sauce, roasted cauliflower, mushrooms, and a chopped salad; wine was the
> 2010 Chevillon Bourgogne Passetoutgrain. A little shrill at first
> opening, with raspberry and cranberry fruit, but just a half hour of air
> does it a lot of good, and it drinks well throughout night. The fruit
> fills out and gets more of a black cherry profile, acidity integrates,
> and it seems more complete. Very good indeed. B+

We know the weather must be warming, be it ever so slightly, when Dale
pulls out the lighter bodied reds ;-) The bottle of the Cowan Sonoma
Coast we had a while ago was right in line with your notes. I haven't
seen the '12 Raisins Gaulois in our market yet, but have certainly
enjoyed earlier versions quite a bit. And Chevillon PTG! What's not to
love about that? I've only had it in one vintage (2002 IIRC) but it's a
lovely way to enjoy Chevillon early on.

Nice notes, Dale!
Mark Lipton