Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 2 Beaujolais, 1 Chablis GC, 1 Montepulciano

On Tue, 4 Mar 2014 19:57:24 -0800 (PST), DaleW >
wrote:

>I was going out, but opened a bottle of the 2011 Zaccagnini Montepulciano d'Abruzzo for Betsy's dinner Friday. Straightforward, juicy black cherry, a little earth and leather, a good easygoing pizza wine. B/B-
>
>Saturday Betsy was playing in city and I had leftovers- turkey in a red wine sauce, polenta, & assorted vegetables. I opened the 2010 Clos Roillete "Cuvee Tardvie" Fleurie just because. Tight, tight, tight. After an hour or so it started to show more- darker fruit than I typically expect in Gamay, but good acids, nice balance, and a good sense of completeness. I'll try to keep my hands off this for a while. B+ with upwards potential.
>
>Sunday night scallops on a mango salsa, barley "risotto" and broccoli , with the 2008 Brocard "Valmur" Chablis Grand Cru. Full, rich, flinty with white pit fruits. A bit fatter than my ideal, but good. Should age, but with premOx I take no chances. B+/B
>
>With roast chicken with carrots and turnips, sauteed spinach, and blackeyed peas, the 2005 Gauthier/Cret de Ruyere "Cuvée des Anges" . I searched for Chiroubles on the front label without success, just learned it was denied appellation. Atypical indeed, it tastes better than 98% of Chiroubles. Crunchy cranberries, smoke, herb. Nice acids, complete and ready. B+
>
>Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

Dale,

I've been reading this group for nearly 20 years. In that span I've
only posted a handful of times; mostly I lurk. I just wanted to let
you know that I still read your (and anybody else's) TNs and that they
are not being ignored. Cheers.

Jack
Posted to alt.food.wine

In message >, cruciverbalist
> writes
>On Tue, 4 Mar 2014 19:57:24 -0800 (PST), DaleW >
>wrote:
>
>>I was going out, but opened a bottle of the 2011 Zaccagnini
>>Montepulciano d'Abruzzo for Betsy's dinner Friday. Straightforward,
>>juicy black cherry, a little earth and leather, a good easygoing pizza
>>wine. B/B-
>>
>>Saturday Betsy was playing in city and I had leftovers- turkey in a
>>red wine sauce, polenta, & assorted vegetables. I opened the 2010 Clos
>>Roillete "Cuvee Tardvie" Fleurie just because. Tight, tight, tight.
>>After an hour or so it started to show more- darker fruit than I
>>typically expect in Gamay, but good acids, nice balance, and a good
>>sense of completeness. I'll try to keep my hands off this for a while.
>>B+ with upwards potential.
>>
>>Sunday night scallops on a mango salsa, barley "risotto" and broccoli
>>, with the 2008 Brocard "Valmur" Chablis Grand Cru. Full, rich, flinty
>>with white pit fruits. A bit fatter than my ideal, but good. Should
>>age, but with premOx I take no chances. B+/B
>>
>>With roast chicken with carrots and turnips, sauteed spinach, and
>>blackeyed peas, the 2005 Gauthier/Cret de Ruyere "Cuvée des Anges" . I
>>searched for Chiroubles on the front label without success, just
>>learned it was denied appellation. Atypical indeed, it tastes better
>>than 98% of Chiroubles. Crunchy cranberries, smoke, herb. Nice acids,
>>and ready. B+
>>
>>Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
>>wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
>>drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no
>>promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

>Dale,
>
>I've been reading this group for nearly 20 years. In that span I've
>only posted a handful of times; mostly I lurk. I just wanted to let
>you know that I still read your (and anybody else's) TNs and that they
>are not being ignored. Cheers.
>
>Jack

Same comment as Jack: Thank you to those who do post regularly.

Sheila
--
---
Sheila Page
Posted to alt.food.wine

"cruciverbalist" > wrote in message
| On Tue, 4 Mar 2014 19:57:24 -0800 (PST), DaleW >
| wrote:
|
| Dale,
|
| I've been reading this group for nearly 20 years. In that span I've
| only posted a handful of times; mostly I lurk. I just wanted to let
| you know that I still read your (and anybody else's) TNs and that they
| are not being ignored. Cheers.
|
| Jack

Plus me. Long on lurks, shy on posts.
You're doing a great job Dale, holding this together.
Congrats on 10th.

I was put off 2004 red burg by Bill Nanson/ladybird infestation,
purchased none.
Opened a 2004 Pontet Canet last year (when French rugger team in town!).
Dreadful -hard, tannic, acidic. Totally unforgiving day1, after 4 hours
in decanter.
Day2 not a lot better. Don't think I'm going to live long enough to have
the rest of
the stash in a drinkable state.