Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Muga Tasting

Jorge Muga was here in Santa Fe this afternoon. Brought several bottles with him including:
Blanco 2013 Virua and Malvassia, green pears and quince
Rosada 2012 Garnacha spicy and refreshing. Looks to be a buy for summer
Rioja Reserve 2009 nice everyday wine, though a bit expensive for ever day @ $28.99
Rioja:Seleccion Especial" 2009 great nose cherries and smoke, still young
Rioja Gran Riserva "Prado Enea" 2005, my favorite of the night, still young tasting, cherries some leather, moderate tannins. Could improve a lot of next 5-7 years. Very intense nose and taste
Rioja "Torre Muga" 2006 Even more intense nose, much more tannic wine. Expensive for the slight flavor difference at $92.99

Good tapas served with the tasting so overall, very successful
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2/27/2014 9:05 PM, lleichtman wrote:
> Rioja Reserve 2009 nice everyday wine, though a bit expensive for ever day @ $28.99

I have purchased this through Costco for closer to 20 still not quite
every day prices for me but I liked it a lot compared to other Reserva
offerings it shines.

--
Joseph Coulter

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2/27/14 9:05 PM, lleichtman wrote:
> Jorge Muga was here in Santa Fe this afternoon. Brought several
> bottles with him including: Blanco 2013 Virua and Malvassia, green
> pears and quince Rosada 2012 Garnacha spicy and refreshing. Looks to
> be a buy for summer Rioja Reserve 2009 nice everyday wine, though a
> bit expensive for ever day @ $28.99 Rioja:Seleccion Especial" 2009
> great nose cherries and smoke, still young Rioja Gran Riserva "Prado
> Enea" 2005, my favorite of the night, still young tasting, cherries
> some leather, moderate tannins. Could improve a lot of next 5-7
> years. Very intense nose and taste Rioja "Torre Muga" 2006 Even more
> intense nose, much more tannic wine. Expensive for the slight flavor
> difference at $92.99
>
> Good tapas served with the tasting so overall, very successful

You capture the enigma of Muga, Larry. The Prado Enea is, to my taste,
still a fairly traditional Rioja, but the Torre Muga is an entirely
different animal, much more modern and, to me, "International" in
character. For me, the choice between the two bottlings is an easy one ;-)

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Friday, February 28, 2014 6:06:21 AM UTC-7, Joseph Coulter wrote:
> On 2/27/2014 9:05 PM, lleichtman wrote:
>
> > Rioja Reserve 2009 nice everyday wine, though a bit expensive for ever day @ $28.99

> I have purchased this through Costco for closer to 20 still not quite
>
> every day prices for me but I liked it a lot compared to other Reserva
>
> offerings it shines.
>

> --
>
> Joseph Coulter

Costco is not a regular for us because it is Albuquerque over an hour from us,
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Friday, February 28, 2014 10:05:42 AM UTC-7, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 2/27/14 9:05 PM, lleichtman wrote:
>
> > Jorge Muga was here in Santa Fe this afternoon. Brought several

> > bottles with him including: Blanco 2013 Virua and Malvassia, green

> > pears and quince Rosada 2012 Garnacha spicy and refreshing. Looks to

> > be a buy for summer Rioja Reserve 2009 nice everyday wine, though a

> > bit expensive for ever day @ $28.99 Rioja:Seleccion Especial" 2009

> > great nose cherries and smoke, still young Rioja Gran Riserva "Prado

> > Enea" 2005, my favorite of the night, still young tasting, cherries

> > some leather, moderate tannins. Could improve a lot of next 5-7

> > years. Very intense nose and taste Rioja "Torre Muga" 2006 Even more

> > intense nose, much more tannic wine. Expensive for the slight flavor

> > difference at $92.99

> > Good tapas served with the tasting so overall, very successful

> You capture the enigma of Muga, Larry. The Prado Enea is, to my taste,
>
> still a fairly traditional Rioja, but the Torre Muga is an entirely
>
> different animal, much more modern and, to me, "International" in
>
> character. For me, the choice between the two bottlings is an easy one ;-)
>

> Mark Lipton
>
> --
>
> alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Jorge felt that the family was pressure into making this wine by Parker, et al who wanted a highly extracted wine. They don't really prefer it either.