Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Make your own Pauillac!

An intriguing idea - if you have the money!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/luxury/dr...-own-wine.html

Graham

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 3:27:50 PM UTC-7, graham wrote:
> An intriguing idea - if you have the money!
>
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/luxury/dr...-own-wine.html
>

> Graham

We actually made 4 barrels of wine as part of the Gary Vaynerchuck group called Vayniacs and it was a Vayniac 2007 Napa Cabernet. It turned out to be damn good and I still have 4 bottles of the case I bought. Why shouldn't France get in on the deal. It doesn't have to be one person investing. Can be a small group. It's a fun way to get a moderately good wine. Will it be a grand crus Bordeaux, no, but again, we had fun blending and it wasn't that expensive.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2/20/14 12:43 PM, lleichtman wrote:

> We actually made 4 barrels of wine as part of the Gary Vaynerchuck
> group called Vayniacs and it was a Vayniac 2007 Napa Cabernet. It
> turned out to be damn good and I still have 4 bottles of the case I
> bought. Why shouldn't France get in on the deal. It doesn't have to
> be one person investing. Can be a small group. It's a fun way to get
> a moderately good wine. Will it be a grand crus Bordeaux, no, but
> again, we had fun blending and it wasn't that expensive.

It all comes down to the quality of the grapes that one would have
access to. I know a number of people who make use of custom crush
facilities in CA, and many of them make damn good wine. However, all of
them have access to grapes from very good vineyards and where they have
some say in the level of ripeness, etc. of the grapes that they get.

I suspect, without knowing for sure, that this facility in Bdx would
probably only get access to grapes that the chateaux choose to sell off,
either because them come from young vines or because they don't meet the
selection criteria of the chateaux. In such a case, one would probably
have little say in what they got to work with. It would be fun,
however, to be able to produce a non-spoofy Pauillac for one's own
consumption.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> On 2/20/14 12:43 PM, lleichtman wrote:
>

>> We actually made 4 barrels of wine as part of the Gary Vaynerchuck
>> group called Vayniacs and it was a Vayniac 2007 Napa Cabernet. It
>> turned out to be damn good and I still have 4 bottles of the case I
>> bought. Why shouldn't France get in on the deal. It doesn't have to
>> be one person investing. Can be a small group. It's a fun way to get
>> a moderately good wine. Will it be a grand crus Bordeaux, no, but
>> again, we had fun blending and it wasn't that expensive.
>>

> It all comes down to the quality of the grapes that one would have
> access to. I know a number of people who make use of custom crush
> facilities in CA, and many of them make damn good wine. However, all of
> them have access to grapes from very good vineyards and where they have
> some say in the level of ripeness, etc. of the grapes that they get.
>
> I suspect, without knowing for sure, that this facility in Bdx would
> probably only get access to grapes that the chateaux choose to sell off,
> either because them come from young vines or because they don't meet the
> selection criteria of the chateaux. In such a case, one would probably
> have little say in what they got to work with.

But with Caze overseeing it, I doubt one would get junk.
Graham

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2/20/14 3:02 PM, graham wrote:

> But with Caze overseeing it, I doubt one would get junk.

True, certainly, but what one would get would be Cru Bourgeois quality,
I'd hazard, albeit good Cru Bourgeois.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2/20/14 3:02 PM, graham wrote:

>> But with Caze overseeing it, I doubt one would get junk.

> True, certainly, but what one would get would be Cru Bourgeois quality,
> I'd hazard, albeit good Cru Bourgeois.

Hmmm - and doing the numbers - 24 cases of own label wine @ $NZ75 / bottle
(by the time freight, duties, VAT(GST) is added
Certainly, maybe a good Cru Bourgeois .......... but !!!!!!!!!!!!
As an old Sales Trainer once told me - Don't forget to add in "The Risk
Factor"

TN: Pauillac and CA Merlot with short ribs DaleW Wine 0 10-01-2009 09:25 PM
TN: moderately priced Pauillac DaleW Wine 0 24-08-2008 03:36 PM
TN Pauillac 2003 John T Wine 1 28-12-2007 09:03 PM
Costco tries again with 2003 Pauillac [email protected] Wine 3 15-09-2006 05:28 AM
TN: 2001 Mystery Pauillac DaleW Wine 2 01-09-2006 04:10 PM