Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: on a hot streak- 5 wines I like (Corsica, Burgundy, Mosel,Piedmont, and Loire)

Betsy was playing some Sufi music at an interfaith service in city, I had assorted leftovers and the 2012 Abbatucci "Gris Imperial" rose. Herby, fresh, light with a nice minerally finish. B/B+

Friday with a chicken/tomato saute with a 375 ml bottle of the 2010 Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet. Just a hint of that Ramonet mintiness, fleshy pit fruits but good acidity, pretty nice wine for drinking young (seems like it could age in full format, but why risk in age of the pox?) B/B+

Saturday we greeted a friend with the 2012 Falkenstein "Niedermenninger Herrenberg" Kabinett Riesling Trocken. Lightbodied, just a hint of sweetness, ginger and white peach. Long finish for such a light bodied Riesling, refreshing, buy more. B+

Dinner was grilled mustard/curry pork tenderloin, a mushroom (shiitake, maitake, oyster)-feta tart, and the 2012 Burlotto Verduno Pelaverga. Wow, this is fun! Nervy, pine and citrus peel accents over bright strawberry fruit, juicy, good length, nice versatile food wine. B+

David was joining us as we had dinner as Superbowl was starting. Cod in a chipotle broth, grilled vegetables, and brown rice, with the 2012 Huet "Clos du Bourg" Vouvray Sec. Nervy, waxy, wooly, long. Sec-tendre. Pretty much everything I want in drier Chenin Blanc. A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2/3/2014 2:10 PM, DaleW wrote:
> Betsy was playing some Sufi music at an interfaith service in city,

I had assorted leftovers and the 2012 Abbatucci "Gris Imperial" rose.

Herby, fresh, light with a nice minerally finish. B/B+

I know you said "interfaith" but do Sufis drink wine?

-
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Monday, February 3, 2014 3:52:56 PM UTC-5, James Silverton wrote:

> I know you said "interfaith" but do Sufis drink wine?

With one sect being the exception, the Sufis who regard themselves as *primarily* Islamic don't drink alcohol.
But Betsy has been involved with the Sufi Order of the West aka Universal Sufism, the group (well, groups) was founded by Hazrat Inayat Khan. Some refer to them as "Neo-Sufis" and they are open to all religions. I think they don't allow alcohol as say the Abode, but not really about proscriptions on personal behavior.
Lots of Rumi poems about wine.