Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Mostly Medoc

Thursday Dave joined us as Betsy made a stirfry with turkey, snow peas, broccolini and I opened the NV Thierry Germain “Bulles de Roche” Saumur Brut. Hey, this is fun stuff, quite dry and crisp, minerally, lots of granny Smith and orange pippin apple fruit, quite nice. B+

Friday I braised a big venison roast and opened the 2012 Huet “Le Mont” Vouvray Sec while I greeted my non-serious local wine group. Crisp, full, wax, honey, and orange blossom, very nice length. B+

So the theme was Wines of the Medoc. Everyone bought an on-theme bottle (or were supposed to), wrapped.

#1- Medium bodied, a bit of development, some tannin, there’s a plush quality and lots of berry fruit, makes me guess a minor Margaux. Nope. 2005 Ch.. Greysac (Medoc), B

#2 - mine, in decanter for about 90 minutes before being served. Blackcurrant fruit, leather, some tannin remaining, the acidity of the vintage showing. Spice, cigarbox. Good showing!
1979 Ch. La Lagune (Haut-Medoc). B+/A-

#3 Ripe, full, a bit of oak, this is nice in a somewhat Californian style. 2009 Ch. Greysac (Medoc). B

#4 A bit clipped/short, but otherwise a pretty straightforward luncheon claret. 2010 Ch. La Grave (Medoc) B-

#5 Pretty tight at first, opened in glass nicely, my guess was 1996 Potensac, medium bodied, some remaining tannin, good. 1995 Ch. Talbot (St. Julien) B

#6 Sigh. So in invite I had listed the possible appellations of Medoc (Medoc, Haut Medoc, Margaux, St Julien, Paulliac, St Estephe, Moulis, Listrac). This wine was very plummy and round, confectioned fruit, seemed Merlot-y . I said “I would have thought this Right Bank” Unveiled it turns out Alex hadn’t read invite very well, a Bordeaux AC from 20 km south of St Emilion. 2010 Ch. Thieuley (Bordeaux). C+/B-

#7 Warm, a touch jammy, but with nice structure, I guess a 2005. 2003 Ch. Potensac (Medoc) B-

We finished with a non-blind 1985 Ch. Rieussec. Medium bodied, some botrytis, orange marmalade, not very long, seemingly fully mature. Others liked more than I did. B/B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 1/27/2014 1:39 PM, DaleW wrote:
> #6 Sigh. So in invite I had listed the possible appellations of Medoc (Medoc, Haut Medoc, Margaux, St Julien, Paulliac, St Estephe, Moulis, Listrac). This wine was very plummy and round, confectioned fruit, seemed Merlot-y . I said “I would have thought this Right Bank” Unveiled it turns out Alex hadn’t read invite very well, a Bordeaux AC from 20 km south of St Emilion. 2010 Ch. Thieuley (Bordeaux). C+/B-

Feel like I am in the mix here had that two nights ago! A bit soft even
for my tastes. Not bad just well, round etc what you said.

--
Joseph Coulter