Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Hirtzberger, JJ Prum, O Raffault, Lafarge, Sicilians, etc

David and his girlfriend joined us for dinner (black bean casserole, herbed roast sweet potato, cabbage, spinach salad). Wine was the 2011 JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett.A bit o' brimstone at first, opens nicely, lime and apple flavors, light but with a creamy texture. Young but quite tasty. B+

2011 Bosco Falconeria Nero d’Avola
Red plummy fruits, some earth, balanced acids, I enjoyed (Dave and Mary Kate stayed/worked on this estate this summer). B/B+

With scallops in an orange sauce over udon noodles and watercress salad, the 2010 Hirtzberger Singerriedel Riesling Smaragd. First bottle corked. Second more than made up for it. Dry, potent, powerful, with mango and apple, loads of minerality, peach blossoms. Solid vibrant acids balance out the fruit. Lovely, should get better. A-

No wine with dinner Wednesday as I had a takeout sandwich while waiting for a really late delivery/donation. When I got home at 11 a small glass of the Hirtzberger was very refreshing.

Thursday Betsy made duck legs, carrots, & mashed potatoes, I opened a bottle of the 2002 Lafarge Volnay. Nice showing - moderate acids, some remaining tannin, black cherries with spice and earth. Drinking well and I’ll open more of these. B+/A-

Last night we took the dog and went over to visit friends. They greeted us with the NV Gruet Blanc de Noirs. Good for price, green apples with a sweet edge, good acid, decent length. B-/B

Dinner was salad and a “South Coast Portugese stew”. I had carried along a bottle of the
2008 Brocard “Valmur” Chablis Grand Cru. Pretty closed, and it doesn’t handle the heat of the stew very well. A B- this night though I’ve liked more before. Ron opened the 2007 Olga Raffault “Picasses” Chinon. I haven’t had a recent Olga R wine, and quite enjoyed this. Redder fruit, tobacco leaf, herbs, just a hint of barnyard. Nice balance of acid, fruit, and tannin. B+
There was also a bottle of the 2011 Conte Ravasi Nero d'Avola. This made me appreciate the Bosco Falconeria, this is what I used to think NdA all tasted like- short round characterless wine, could be Languedoc Merlot. C/C+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Saturday, December 14, 2013 5:24:18 PM UTC-5, DaleW wrote:
> David and his girlfriend joined us for dinner (black bean casserole, herbed roast sweet potato, cabbage, spinach salad). Wine was the 2011 JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett.A bit o' brimstone at first, opens nicely, lime and apple flavors, light but with a creamy texture. Young but quite tasty. B+
>

> 2011 Bosco Falconeria Nero d’Avola
>
> Red plummy fruits, some earth, balanced acids, I enjoyed (Dave and Mary Kate stayed/worked on this estate this summer). B/B+
>

> With scallops in an orange sauce over udon noodles and watercress salad, the 2010 Hirtzberger Singerriedel Riesling Smaragd. First bottle corked. Second more than made up for it. Dry, potent, powerful, with mango and apple, loads of minerality, peach blossoms. Solid vibrant acids balance out the fruit. Lovely, should get better. A-
>

> No wine with dinner Wednesday as I had a takeout sandwich while waiting for a really late delivery/donation. When I got home at 11 a small glass of the Hirtzberger was very refreshing.
>

> Thursday Betsy made duck legs, carrots, & mashed potatoes, I opened a bottle of the 2002 Lafarge Volnay. Nice showing - moderate acids, some remaining tannin, black cherries with spice and earth. Drinking well and I’ll open more of these. B+/A-
>

> Last night we took the dog and went over to visit friends. They greeted us with the NV Gruet Blanc de Noirs. Good for price, green apples with a sweet edge, good acid, decent length. B-/B
>

> Dinner was salad and a “South Coast Portugese stew”. I had carried along a bottle of the
>
> 2008 Brocard “Valmur” Chablis Grand Cru. Pretty closed, and it doesn’t handle the heat of the stew very well. A B- this night though I’ve liked more before. Ron opened the 2007 Olga Raffault “Picasses” Chinon.. I haven’t had a recent Olga R wine, and quite enjoyed this. Redder fruit, tobacco leaf, herbs, just a hint of barnyard. Nice balance of acid, fruit, and tannin. B+
>
> There was also a bottle of the 2011 Conte Ravasi Nero d'Avola. This made me appreciate the Bosco Falconeria, this is what I used to think NdA all tasted like- short round characterless wine, could be Languedoc Merlot. C/C+
>

> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

I don't think I've ever had a bad glass of JJ Prum.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Monday, December 16, 2013 10:40:15 AM UTC-7, Bi!! wrote:
> On Saturday, December 14, 2013 5:24:18 PM UTC-5, DaleW wrote:
>
> > David and his girlfriend joined us for dinner (black bean casserole, herbed roast sweet potato, cabbage, spinach salad). Wine was the 2011 JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett.A bit o' brimstone at first, opens nicely, lime and apple flavors, light but with a creamy texture. Young but quite tasty. B+

> > 2011 Bosco Falconeria Nero d’Avola

> > Red plummy fruits, some earth, balanced acids, I enjoyed (Dave and Mary Kate stayed/worked on this estate this summer). B/B+

> > With scallops in an orange sauce over udon noodles and watercress salad, the 2010 Hirtzberger Singerriedel Riesling Smaragd. First bottle corked. Second more than made up for it. Dry, potent, powerful, with mango and apple, loads of minerality, peach blossoms. Solid vibrant acids balance out the fruit. Lovely, should get better. A-

> > No wine with dinner Wednesday as I had a takeout sandwich while waiting for a really late delivery/donation. When I got home at 11 a small glass of the Hirtzberger was very refreshing.

> > Thursday Betsy made duck legs, carrots, & mashed potatoes, I opened a bottle of the 2002 Lafarge Volnay. Nice showing - moderate acids, some remaining tannin, black cherries with spice and earth. Drinking well and I’ll open more of these. B+/A-

> > Last night we took the dog and went over to visit friends. They greeted us with the NV Gruet Blanc de Noirs. Good for price, green apples with a sweet edge, good acid, decent length. B-/B

> > Dinner was salad and a “South Coast Portugese stew”. I had carried along a bottle of the

> > 2008 Brocard “Valmur” Chablis Grand Cru. Pretty closed, and it doesn’t handle the heat of the stew very well. A B- this night though I’ve liked more before. Ron opened the 2007 Olga Raffault “Picasses” Chinon. I haven’t had a recent Olga R wine, and quite enjoyed this. Redder fruit, tobacco leaf, herbs, just a hint of barnyard. Nice balance of acid, fruit, and tannin. B+

> > There was also a bottle of the 2011 Conte Ravasi Nero d'Avola. This made me appreciate the Bosco Falconeria, this is what I used to think NdA all tasted like- short round characterless wine, could be Languedoc Merlot. C/C+

> > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

> I don't think I've ever had a bad glass of JJ Prum.

I have to go along here. Always a go to for great German Riesling. Most of my bottles have been B+ or A. And at this time of the year, Gruet is a good buy for parties.

[TN] '01 Lafarge Volnay Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 1 19-11-2011 06:37 PM
WTN: A Huet, a Prum, and lotsa squid DaleW Wine 2 21-12-2010 05:50 PM
TN: 2005 Hirtzberger GV DaleW Wine 0 16-05-2009 09:59 PM
TN: '06 Prum with Thai food for St Patricks Day DaleW Wine 2 19-03-2009 02:07 PM
TN: '97 Lafarge Volnay DaleW Wine 0 27-08-2005 03:31 AM