FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: Post Thanksgiving wines- Sicily, Liguria, Wachau, South Africa (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/426584-tn-post-thanksgiving-wines.html)

DaleW 02-12-2013 08:53 PM

TN: Post Thanksgiving wines- Sicily, Liguria, Wachau, South Africa

Enough leftovers! Saturday Betsy made a quick bouillabaisse , and I went non-traditional with Gruner Veltliner. The 2002 Donabaum “Spitzer Point” Grüner was full, rich and fresh. Crisp, with white nectarine and white pepper. Holding well, drinking well. B+

Sunday we went to her sister-in-laws for a big family dinner, provisioned from a trip to Arthur Avenue. Bruschetta, olives, etc, followed by cavatelli with sausage and broccoli rabe, chittara with shrimp fra diavolo, & ravioli with sage butter sauce. Three wines made it around:

2011 Iona Sauvignon Blanc
Decent South African SB, quite grassy, good acids, a bit short. B-
2012 Bruna “Le Russeghine:” Pigato (Riviera Ligure di Ponente )
nervy with melon and citrus, very aromatic. B+/B

2011 Occhipinti Frappatto
Crunchy red fruits, great acid balance, some tannin,lively. Delicious long finish, lovely wine. A-/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Ken Blake, MVP 02-12-2013 10:20 PM

TN: Post Thanksgiving wines- Sicily, Liguria, Wachau, South Africa

On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 12:53:56 -0800 (PST), DaleW >
wrote:

> Sunday we went to her sister-in-laws for a big family dinner, provisioned from a trip to Arthur Avenue.

I'm just curious as to how many people here know where Arthur Avenue
is or what's there.

I do, but I suspect that I'm in the great minority.

Bi!! 03-12-2013 04:18 PM

On Monday, December 2, 2013 5:20:29 PM UTC-5, Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 12:53:56 -0800 (PST), DaleW
>
> wrote:
>

> > Sunday we went to her sister-in-laws for a big family dinner, provisioned from a trip to Arthur Avenue.

> I'm just curious as to how many people here know where Arthur Avenue
>
> is or what's there.
>

> I do, but I suspect that I'm in the great minority.

Since Dale lives in NYC I assumed he meant the Market in the Bronx in Little Italy. I was there last Thanksgiving and my son in law took me there otherwise I wouldn't have known. Interesting that I watched a segment on The Travel Channel recently on The Market and the Deli.

Ken Blake, MVP 03-12-2013 06:46 PM

TN: Post Thanksgiving wines- Sicily, Liguria, Wachau, South Africa

On Tue, 3 Dec 2013 08:18:02 -0800 (PST), "Bi!!" >
wrote:

> On Monday, December 2, 2013 5:20:29 PM UTC-5, Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
> > On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 12:53:56 -0800 (PST), DaleW
> >
> > wrote:
> >

> > > Sunday we went to her sister-in-laws for a big family dinner, provisioned from a trip to Arthur Avenue.

> > I'm just curious as to how many people here know where Arthur Avenue
> >
> > is or what's there.
> >

> > I do, but I suspect that I'm in the great minority.

> Since Dale lives in NYC

Actually a suburb of NYC, unless he recently moved to the city.

> I assumed he meant the Market in the Bronx in Little Italy.

Yes, I'm sure that's what he meant.

> I was there last Thanksgiving and my son in law took me there otherwise I wouldn't have known.

I've been there many times. I've shopped there and eaten in several
restaurants there. And when I used to live in Westchester county (the
same county Dale is in) I used to buy bread that was made on Arthur
Avenue in a local salumeria near my home. Although I live on the other
side of the country now, I used to live in the Bronx. And for a year I
went to a High School very close to Arthur Avenue.

DaleW 04-12-2013 08:10 PM

TN: Post Thanksgiving wines- Sicily, Liguria, Wachau, South Africa

Yes, I should have been more detailed, but I post my notes in a couple of locations and the other one has mostly people who know Arthur Ave. Mea culpa!

Ken Blake, MVP 04-12-2013 09:22 PM

TN: Post Thanksgiving wines- Sicily, Liguria, Wachau, South Africa

On Wed, 4 Dec 2013 12:10:49 -0800 (PST), DaleW >
wrote:

> Yes, I should have been more detailed, but I post my notes in a couple of locations and the other one has mostly people who know Arthur Ave. Mea culpa!

No big deal, of course. There were at least two of us here who knew
it. <g>