Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] This week's wines

2010 Brokenwood Sémillon Hunter Valley (11/23/2013)

Less acidic and more earthy than my previous bottle, this one still had
plenty of fruit and enough acidity to pair well with pan-roasted halibut
on braised lentils. Truth be told, though, the wine showed best with the
spinach salad -- go figger!

1990 Clos des Papes Chteauneuf-du-Pape (11/23/2013)

Classic S Rhone character: meaty black cherry fruit, fully resolved
tannins, plenty of acidity and a silky mouthfeel. Just beautiful with
grilled quail and wild boar sausage. My only quibble is that these wines
soften with age, but don't take on any noticeable amount of complexity.
Still, a tasty tipple for sure.

2010 Schloss Lieser Riesling Kabinett (11/19/2013)

Zow! A zingy, racy, acidic Kabinett that is fairly bursting with flavor:
a hint of petrol, lime, green apple and white peach. Off-dry with great
balancing acidity, it is a pleasure to drink.

2000 Chteau Lusseau St. Émilion (11/18/2013)

Initially, plummy fruit with a bit of VA in the nose. On the palate, a
structured wine with a bit of fruit and plenty of savory notes. As it
opened up, the VA disappeared and the palate softened to afford a
plummy, earthy wine that was pretty foursquare right bank Bdx.

2004 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave St. Joseph (11/16/2013)

Initially, a nose of pencil lead and juicy red berry fruit. With time,
the wine grew meatier and took on spicy and licorice notes. A really
terrific bottle of Syrah that went fabulously with pan-seared venison
tenderloin.

2011 Yvon Métras Beaujolais (11/11/2013)

CORKED!

2006 Domaine du Chteau de Chorey (Germain) Beaune 1er Cru Teurons
(11/9/2013)

Initially, a nose of tart raspberry and a racy, zippy mouthfeel with
some backend tannins. As the evening wore on, the fruit profile darkened
and the wine deepened. It also grew a bit softer on the palate. Very
young, but still delicious.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Monday, November 25, 2013 2:35:56 PM UTC-5, Mark Lipton wrote:
> 2010 Brokenwood S�millon Hunter Valley (11/23/2013)
>

> Less acidic and more earthy than my previous bottle, this one still had
>
> plenty of fruit and enough acidity to pair well with pan-roasted halibut
>
> on braised lentils. Truth be told, though, the wine showed best with the
>
> spinach salad -- go figger!
>

> 1990 Clos des Papes Ch�teauneuf-du-Pape (11/23/2013)
>

> Classic S Rhone character: meaty black cherry fruit, fully resolved
>
> tannins, plenty of acidity and a silky mouthfeel. Just beautiful with
>
> grilled quail and wild boar sausage. My only quibble is that these wines
>
> soften with age, but don't take on any noticeable amount of complexity.
>
> Still, a tasty tipple for sure.
>

> 2010 Schloss Lieser Riesling Kabinett (11/19/2013)
>

> Zow! A zingy, racy, acidic Kabinett that is fairly bursting with flavor:
>
> a hint of petrol, lime, green apple and white peach. Off-dry with great
>
> balancing acidity, it is a pleasure to drink.
>

> 2000 Ch�teau Lusseau St. �milion (11/18/2013)
>

> Initially, plummy fruit with a bit of VA in the nose. On the palate, a
>
> structured wine with a bit of fruit and plenty of savory notes. As it
>
> opened up, the VA disappeared and the palate softened to afford a
>
> plummy, earthy wine that was pretty foursquare right bank Bdx.
>

> 2004 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave St. Joseph (11/16/2013)
>

> Initially, a nose of pencil lead and juicy red berry fruit. With time,
>
> the wine grew meatier and took on spicy and licorice notes. A really
>
> terrific bottle of Syrah that went fabulously with pan-seared venison
>
> tenderloin.
>

> 2011 Yvon M�tras Beaujolais (11/11/2013)
>

> CORKED!
>

> 2006 Domaine du Ch�teau de Chorey (Germain) Beaune 1er Cru Teurons
>
> (11/9/2013)
>

> Initially, a nose of tart raspberry and a racy, zippy mouthfeel with
>
> some backend tannins. As the evening wore on, the fruit profile darkened
>
> and the wine deepened. It also grew a bit softer on the palate. Very
>
> young, but still delicious.
>

> Mark Lipton
>
> --
>
> alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Thanks for the notes. I actually have a bottle of the 2004 Chave St Joseph in the orphan bin. I'll take it to the farm and have it with venison. I shot another really nice fat buck again this year so I'm in venison for another year.
Posted to alt.food.wine

nice lineup- pity about Metras.
Glad the 90 CdP showed well.
Not a Lusseau fan.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 11/26/13 1:29 PM, DaleW wrote:
> nice lineup- pity about Metras.
> Glad the 90 CdP showed well.
> Not a Lusseau fan.

Fortunately, Envoyer has set aside another bottle of the Metras for me
free of charge. I can understand your lack of enthusiasm for Lusseau.
We got 3 bottles of the 2000 as part of a joint purchase of 2000 futures
with some friends. This was our last bottle and it wasn't very
impressive at all. The rest of our case of 2000s remain untouched,
which says something, too.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 11/26/13 11:27 AM, Bi!! wrote:

> Thanks for the notes. I actually have a bottle of the 2004 Chave St
> Joseph in the orphan bin. I'll take it to the farm and have it with
> venison. I shot another really nice fat buck again this year so I'm
> in venison for another year.

Nice, Bill! I'll have to see if my hunter friends have had any luck
this year. The recent snap of cold weather is certainly a hunter's
friend. That Chave will certainly keep for many years more, but I don't
know that it'll get much better than it is now.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Monday, November 25, 2013 2:35:56 PM UTC-5, Mark Lipton wrote:
> 2010 Brokenwood S�millon Hunter Valley (11/23/2013)
>

> Less acidic and more earthy than my previous bottle, this one still had
>
> plenty of fruit and enough acidity to pair well with pan-roasted halibut
>
> on braised lentils. Truth be told, though, the wine showed best with the
>
> spinach salad -- go figger!
>

> 1990 Clos des Papes Ch�teauneuf-du-Pape (11/23/2013)
>

> Classic S Rhone character: meaty black cherry fruit, fully resolved
>
> tannins, plenty of acidity and a silky mouthfeel. Just beautiful with
>
> grilled quail and wild boar sausage. My only quibble is that these wines
>
> soften with age, but don't take on any noticeable amount of complexity.
>
> Still, a tasty tipple for sure.
>

> 2010 Schloss Lieser Riesling Kabinett (11/19/2013)
>

> Zow! A zingy, racy, acidic Kabinett that is fairly bursting with flavor:
>
> a hint of petrol, lime, green apple and white peach. Off-dry with great
>
> balancing acidity, it is a pleasure to drink.
>

> 2000 Ch�teau Lusseau St. �milion (11/18/2013)
>

> Initially, plummy fruit with a bit of VA in the nose. On the palate, a
>
> structured wine with a bit of fruit and plenty of savory notes. As it
>
> opened up, the VA disappeared and the palate softened to afford a
>
> plummy, earthy wine that was pretty foursquare right bank Bdx.
>

> 2004 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave St. Joseph (11/16/2013)
>

> Initially, a nose of pencil lead and juicy red berry fruit. With time,
>
> the wine grew meatier and took on spicy and licorice notes. A really
>
> terrific bottle of Syrah that went fabulously with pan-seared venison
>
> tenderloin.
>

> 2011 Yvon M�tras Beaujolais (11/11/2013)
>

> CORKED!
>

> 2006 Domaine du Ch�teau de Chorey (Germain) Beaune 1er Cru Teurons
>
> (11/9/2013)
>

> Initially, a nose of tart raspberry and a racy, zippy mouthfeel with
>
> some backend tannins. As the evening wore on, the fruit profile darkened
>
> and the wine deepened. It also grew a bit softer on the palate. Very
>
> young, but still delicious.
>

> Mark Lipton
>
> --
>
> alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Sorry to hear about the Metras. Usually one of my favorites.

TN: Many wines last week DaleW Wine 0 04-08-2015 05:13 PM
TN: a week of wines (most I liked) from all over DaleW Wine 3 30-03-2013 11:01 PM
TN: Whole lot of wines over last week+ DaleW Wine 2 18-02-2013 10:33 PM
TN: Week of wines (DE, FR, AT, US) DaleW Wine 0 12-09-2012 01:37 PM
TN: This week's wines Mark Lipton Wine 7 17-08-2006 08:40 PM